• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

What's worth seeing in Australia?

adz

Staff member
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Banana - a big banana ;D

probably second to the big pineapple tho, cos they grow macadamia nuts there and you get to ride around in a big macadamia nut

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Pineapple

happy

adz said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Banana - a big banana ;D

probably second to the big pineapple tho, cos they grow macadamia nuts there and you get to ride around in a big macadamia nut

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Pineapple

you have crazy things in down under ;D

~Floss~

Realistically, I wouldn't plan a whole leg of the trip to revolve round seeing the Big Banana, Pineapple, Prawn, etc.

Maybe for a week or so you could drive from Sydney to Queensland (as far as Noosa or Fraser Island maybe?) and stop at all the major coastal attractions along the way - including all those silly things. Also the Gold coast & Sunshine Coast are where all the theme parks are like Sea World, Movie World, and Steve Irwin's Australia Zoo.

happy

Seems to me that the time I will be staying is not enough to see all the sights as the country is that huge...
If you stay 6 months in Germany you get to know every single part of it...

Gen (MarinerMum)

If you  go out to Ayers Rock - I think the Olgas are something to see & the gorges around the place.  A camel ride is a must & a photo in the Todd River - with no water.  Maybe at that time of year you could be lucky and see some water in the river.

While studying I hope you have time to do the Sydney stuff.  Blue Mountains including the 3 sisters, skyway, & train down to the bottom.  You can get there by train and walk down, there is also a YHA so you can stay overnight.  Zigzag railway - if you like trains.

River boat postman on the Hawkesbury River is an option & you can also get to Hawkesbury River by train.  You can also see the south coast of Sydney, Historical society does a steam train trip down to Wollongong which takes in the coastal regions of Stanwell tops then up through the southern highlands back to Sydney.  Can also go hanggliding off Stanwell tops if you are into that sort of thing.

Koala Park at Pennant Hills you can hold Koalas feed then however, it is a little difficult to get to unless you have a car.  Taroonga Zoo - best zoo in Australia I think, you can get there by ferry or drive out to Dubbo zoo.

Take some new friends and visit Luna Park.  Ferry ride of a night past the Opera House.  Paddy's markets at Haymarket - cheap food/clothing etc.  Centennial Park for a bike ride/horse ride.    If you like different's sorts of sport a Rugby League game. You could drive or train to Coffs Harbour then hire a car for a full weekend coming back late on a Sunday night having left Friday night.

If you are in Sydney I'm sure you could have Christmas with a Marinator family depending on your plans.

Melbourne is great for shopping cheaply.  Great markets - You can go over to Tassie by ferry across Bass Strait - my son is currently working on the ship as an engineer.  Could check again when you are over, he may still be on the ship & may be able to help with ticket.

I'll wait to hear more about what your plans are but there is lots to do.

I've done the train trip to Perth - awesome.

Hope to see you when you get out here.

Jocwa08

forzamariners said:
you need to visit tamworth
Cultural capital of australia IMHO

Thats only his opinion i drove through Tamworth one day,
wow what a load of nothing from a car window
prob better if you stop and check it out

P

Pete

Re: the train trip to Perth.

Most folks who do this recommend only doing it one way and getting a plane in the other direction. Train trip takes about 3 days from Sydney to Perth, or Perth to Sydney. Plane trip is about 4 - 5 hours non stop.

Re: Taronga Zoo.

You can get a Zoo Pass ticket that will include a ferry across to the Zoo Wharf ( & bus trip from Wharf to Zoo front gate), and entry into Zoo.

http://www.sydneyferries.info/zoo-pass.htm

Re: Travel around Sydney.

If you are doing full time study, check with your College/Uni office to see if you qualify for a Student Concessions Card. That would save you a fair deal of public transport costs (about half fare) for trains, ferries and buses.

http://www.cityrail.info/fares/concessions.jsp

skilbeck

a cricket match is a must see, test match the best IMO but if u dont like the slow pace of a test go a 20-20 or 1 day match

happy

When I am that far away from home on the other side of the earth so what about going on a short trip to New Zealand? Or is it better to go there on an extra trip?

FFC Mariner

As the late Robert Morley said.

"I went to New Zealand but it was closed"

Wet,windy, dull and full of sheep. Unless the Mariners are playing in Wellington, dont bother

dru

happy said:
When I am that far away from home on the other side of the earth so what about going on a short trip to New Zealand? Or is it better to go there on an extra trip?
I would say another trip. any less than a month and you wouldn't be doing the place justice. unless it is a mariners away trip then 4 days and a car trip with Ricki Herbet does the place justice. ;)

happy

Thank you very much for all your tips.
I have finally made up my mind and will go to Fraser Island and Cairns for the Daintree Rainforest and some snorkelling. :)
Unfortunately, I don't go to Ayers Rock as it is very expensive and I don't have the time. But I will definitely go there the next time I am in Australia. ;D

loyalist

I believe the australian public share my view as tamworth was voted onto the Australian Monopoly Here and Now edition

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred