• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Webber Crashes again...on 2 wheels

Redline

NineMSN said:
Mark Webber seriously injured in cycling accident

Australian Formula One driver Mark Webber has been seriously injured following a collision with a four-wheel drive while cycling in Tasmania.

Webber, 32, was competing in his own Mark Webber Challenge a 250km multisport event held annually to raise money for charity.

Webber was cycling along Fortesque Bay Road, near Port Arthur when he collided with a Nissan X-Trail, according to Tasmanian Police.

"As a result of the collision, the rider, Mark Webber, suffered serious but non-life threatening injuries," Sergeant Jon Ford told wire agenices.

"He was attended at the scene by paramedics attached to the event before being airlifted to the Royal Hobart Hospital."

The male driver of the vehicle escaped injury.

It is understood Webber, who has been driving in Formula One since 2002, has suffered a broken leg.

Mark Webber Challenge spokesperson Nancy Cook says Webber is disappointed his race has been ended by an accident.

"Mark's been involved in a minor accident, he's fine, he's being treated, he's really disappointed that he's not going to be able to continue but he's well and being looked after," she said.

In May this year, Webber was cycling with friend, seven-time Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong and AMD marketing boss Morris Denton when Denton collided head-on with a vehicle in Monaco.

The Red Bull Racing driver has also been a strong advocate of road safety for cyclists, working as a patron for the Amy Gillett Foundation. Gillett, a member of the Australian road cycling team, was on a training ride in Germany when she was killed by a motorist.

Webber was competing on the penultimate day of the five-day charity event, which includes kayaking, cycling, white-water rafting, trekking and abseiling.

So the man struggles to finish when he has four wheels under him and he thinks "oh..I know...I'll try finishing on TWO wheels instead"

Yeah I know its a charity event...but seriously....how does he keep getting signed?

clarence

I laugh at the irony too (even gets a 'DNF' in a race he organised!)....hopefully he'll be fit to drive in testing for whatever team he drives for next season. Why do F1 teams bother with guys like Webber, he's barely finished half the races he competes in, and he's always blaming anything other than himself for the DNFs.

Redline

He's with RedBull for the next season...he should retire and try something else. But nothing that involves completing anything for success....

serious14

Hey, Webber is awesome.................... in Monaco................. if it's raining................. with half a field................

tuftman

serious14 said:
Hey, Webber is awesome.................... in Monaco................. if it's raining................. with half a field................

Pretty sure...I mean don't quote me, but in 2006 it wasnt raining and he went toe-to-toe with Alonso and Raikkonen, it was Monaco, it was dry, and it was for the lead (obviously being Webber 2nd gear welded itself to 3rd gear and 4th 5th and 6th followed suit)...and being wet at monaco, doesnt that constitute pretty much the ultimate in driving skills? Give the guy a break he is a class act, Martin Brundle calls him the unluckiest man in Formula 1. Assuming Red Bull give him competitive machinery(they have no excuse this season, with Adrian Newey designing the car) and a young teammate in Vettel to give him the hurry up, we should see the Webber of 2002...i.e racing far above where everyone expects him to

skilbeck

nah i used to be one to give webber the benefit of the doubt but now i realise he is shit, sure previously he has had a car thats been less than desireable but there is something that champion drivers bring to uncompetitive teams that he hasnt like Alonso at Renault and Schumacher at Bennetton which he cant bring. He isnt the inspiration that those 2 are, in fact he moves from team to team with reliability issues popping up in each of them, i dont think there is a coincidence there he must have some kind of destabilising effect on a team. i dont believe he has a long time left in F1 and I dont see him finishing his career a race winner

clarence

serious14 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Webber is shit.  It's not up for discussion.  :p

Careful, serious, the next thing we'll hear is that Webber won't be heading this way, any time soon, because of all the hurtful comments on this forum about him.

Have you seen his wife lately?

ponno

I feel sorry for the bloke - he looked pretty banged up on the news... but they didnt have the road closed or anything so it was a poorly organised event...

Bex

Webber is awesome. If he was sitting in a Maclaren or Ferrari you guys would be spouting about how great he is; including you skillbeck. How often does a non-Ferrari or Maclaren win a race?

Alonso wins a driver's championships and everyone thinks hes the best thing since sliced bread. Hamilton wins a driver's championship and everyone things the same. Common theme: fast, car that doesn't break down. This is not to say Alonso or Hamilton are bad drivers, but the average person just doesn't recognise a good performance from further down the field. A huge majority of Webber's non-finishes over the years are car related. And nearly every time he is in a great position in the race is when they happen. Unluckiest driver in F1, indeed. I could guarantee you though that he would suddenly become very lucky if he were driving a Ferrari.

Webber has beaten every team mate that he has ever had quite comfortably. He has regularly qualified his car 3 or 4 places further up the grid than the car deserved. He is a complete professional. He has produced a hugely successful motor racing career based on his own talent (Do any of you remember his performance on the Gold Coast? What about his great performances overseas in F3 where he challenged for the championship two years in a row in a team that was not the best and whilst he was trying to balance that with Benneton F1 testing commitments) and based on smart business decisions (Yellow Pages, Paul Stoddart). He has done it on the international stage with the huge disadvantage of being Australian.

And yes, Webber's performances at Monaco have been wonderful. All Aussies should be proud of what he has acheived at that circuit as well as others.

HOWEVER, I'm the first to admit that Webber's strength is not his passing skills. He has tripped over himself and others and looked quite clumsy in some cases. This is what they show on the sports reports; they show nothing else but the worst of Webber. If he was in a car with Ferrari or McLaren competitiveness, I have no doubts that he would be at least as good Alonso when he drove the Renault to victory. No need to rely so much on passing when you're in a fast car and you're an extremely fast and reliable driver.

Redline

He looked in bad shape what I saw on the news and best wishes to his recovery, but I'm sorry, his skills at finishing the last few years have been mediocre at best.

Bex

In the last few years, there have only been a couple that have not been a car failure. Webber's finishing skills are better than most to be honest.

tuftman

Bex said:
In the last few years, there have only been a couple that have not been a car failure. Webber's finishing skills are better than most to be honest.

OMG there is someone else on this planet that has the opinion that Webber is class

fedelta

tuftman said:
Bex said:

OMG there is someone else on this planet that has the opinion that Webber is class

When he isn't crashing

Bex

fedelt said:
tuftman said:
Bex said:

When he isn't crashing

Bet you will have trouble thinking of more than 5 crashes that are Webber's fault and that you CANNOT produce a list of ten. Excellent effort in 121 grand prix.

Ravana

clarence said:
I laugh at the irony too (even gets a 'DNF' in a race he organised!)....hopefully he'll be fit to drive in testing for whatever team he drives for next season. Why do F1 teams bother with guys like Webber, he's barely finished half the races he competes in, and he's always blaming anything other than himself for the DNFs.

Look mate, if you actually knew something about f1, you would know that most of his 'DNF''s  is due to engine or other component failure. He is highly rated in F1.

Webber can only be as competitive as his car will let him, Red Bull have yet to produce a  quick, reliable car.

Bear

If its due to engine failure, why dose this engine failure seem to follow him to every team he drives for, like a curse?

Ill add that I know NOTHING about f1 AT ALL, other than that I laugh every time I hear Webber failing again.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred