• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

'Vukovic erupts at second ref' - SMH

fedelta

vukovic_wideweb__470x279,0.jpg

Sebastian Hassett *tosser*
July 16, 2008

CENTRAL Coast Mariners goalkeeper Danny Vukovic has again become entangled in controversy after being yellow-carded for dissent "by word or action" while on the bench for a trial game against the New Zealand under-23 team in Wahroonga.

Although ineligible to play in yesterday's match at Knox Grammar School, Vukovic is in full training with the club and participated in an intensive pre-match warm-up before taking his spot on the bench.

The booking was triggered after newly re-signed Mariners midfielder Andre Gumprecht was brought down in a rough tackle near halfway, which sparked a push-and-shove episode between the two sets of players.

Incensed at the treatment being dished out, Vukovic is believed to have verbally lashed out at the referee, as did much of the Mariners bench. A witness said the referee told Vukovic that if he did the same thing again, he would ordered from the sidelines.

Central Coast executive chairman Lyall Gorman said he was frustrated to hear of the 23-year-old's outburst so soon after the drawn-out dramas of his appeal against a ban for striking referee Mark Shield during last season's A-League grand final.

"Challenging referees' decisions is something we want to totally obliterate from our game this year, and I'll be finding out in the morning and getting a first-hand account of why any player from our bench was questioning a referee's decision," Gorman said last night.

"I don't care whether it's heat of the game, emotion or whatever it is, we don't question the referee and it's something we'll need to drill into our players again after this incident."

"As I understand it, the whole bench was questioning the decision, but for some reason Danny was given the card on behalf of the bench. Whether Danny is going to become a more vulnerable target for referees this year is another interesting question, but we'd hope it wouldn't be the case."

Gorman said his club had already introduced measures in a a bid to end problems Mariners players have faced with referees'.

"I'd be disappointed with any of our players for challenging a referee after what we've been through this year with Danny's series of events, and just in our own camp last week we had an Olympic sports psychologist working through the players' roles on the field, their responsibilities and the need for discipline," he said.

"We've got to address that in the morning, first thing. I'm not happy with that at all."

Vukovic is already down to miss the five-match period between rounds three and seven of the A-League season - as well as the entire Beijing Olympics campaign - for striking Shield in the closing stages of the A-League grand final. A three-month suspended period sits on the end of that ban, although it is unclear as to what conditions Football Federation Australia has settled on in terms of invoking the suspended period.

The original penalty drew outrage when first handed down. It was successfully appealed so that a ban would apply over two split periods, allowing Vukovic to play at the Olympics. Then FIFA intervened, reinstating much of the original penalty and ending Vukovic's dream of representing Australia in Beijing.

The Herald understands Vukovic would need to be issued with a red card for an incident concerning the referee during his probationary period for the suspended period to be invoked.

Now on the lookout for a third keeper to boost their goalkeeping stocks, the Mariners would be devastated if his suspension was extended even further.

The Mariners now have just one eligible keeper on their books, 19-year old Andrew Redmayne. However, in Vukovic's absence yesterday, the Central Coast native did himself no favours after letting in two soft goals as the Mariners lost 2-1.

Deej

Wasn't at the game but it sounds like :

1) If the whole bench is having their say it's obviously a shit refereeing decision
2) Let's target Danny coz we can

f**k off Ref's and learn how to referee the game properly, then incidents like this and the GF send off wouldn't happen!

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
hmmm...some refs decisions need challenging...method is the question

BiggusMickus

Geeez Danny, sit down & shut up! We'll end up having our biggest talent watching from the stands if he's not careful. Maybe he needs 3 socks, 2 for his feet & 1 for his mouth. He will definately be a target this season with the inbred retards that are the HAL Referees.

mini-LARSON03.JPG

"Bummer of a birth mark Danny"

Ursus

Yellow cards for dissent are just so f******* stupid and unnecessary.

If these "professionals" have not realised that, even with the help of a psychologist, maybe it is time for the club to redefine their "no dickheads" policy.

marinerbhoy

deej it doesnt matter if the ref was right or wrong. and it doesnt matter if the whole bench erupted in unison. its doesnt make it right, and danny just needs to pull his head in. he is acting like a deadset clown and he is bring the club further into disreprute. he has a record, a very bad record, so of course he will be targeted, and he should know this.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Deej said:
Wasn't at the game but it sounds like :

1) If the whole bench is having their say it's obviously a shit refereeing decision
2) Let's target Danny coz we can

f**k off Ref's and learn how to referee the game properly, then incidents like this and the GF send off wouldn't happen!

Bit hard when people who weren't there immediately assume it's the referee's fault once they hear about a decision with the slightest bit of controversy.

Here's an idea - why don't we start blaming the players for acting like dickheads instead of patting them on the shoulder and saying 'there there, it's not your fault'?

This is absolute stupidity from Danny and he should be torn a new one for this.

There are a number of reasons why referees will pick out one player - when a number of players are doing the same thing (pushing and shoving, dissenting, or whatever) at once, normally the referee will pick out one or two players to deal with instead of everybody.  Maybe what Danny said was worse than what the others said.  Maybe it was louder.  Maybe he was the first to open his mouth, or the last to shut up.  Maybe the ref had heard him throughout the game.  Maybe he just happened to be the only person that the referee could attribute specific words to, who knows?  If you think that because more than one person dissented, then obviously the refereeing was shit, then obviously you've never refereed a day in your life  - it's surprising how many people can get abusive over a decision that's blatantly correct.  Even if it isn't correct, any 'close' decision (such as, a hard challenge) will usually result in uproar.

About 2 months ago I put down an extremely blatant penalty.  Not a single player on the field argued.  The entire bench did.  Does that mean the bench is right and I was wrong?  There's a big hole in your logic, deej ;-)

Kinda funny that people draw the conclusion you do though :D  Explains a lot about the culture of 'no personal responsibility' in football though.

Referees don't f**k up nearly as much as the players do.  And at the end of the day they're human and will make mistakes - and often you only need to be in the wrong position for a split second to miss something.  That doesn't justify abuse or assault - the other cases of assault last season have stemmed from correct refereeing decisions, hence your claim that 'if referees don't f**k up then these things won't happen' is just wrong - and we're only further harming the game the more we try and absolve players from their f**kups (I'm not saying referees should be absolved from their f**kups either - there are problems with the system and their performance, and this is being looked at, though some officials were dropped for performance reasons throughout the season, so some of them are being held accountable).

Even if the referee got the decision wrong, what exactly is abusing him going to achieve?  Danny needs to realise that, as a keeper, he stands out more than any other player on the field and when he's joining a number of players in misconduct, chances are he's the one in the book.

If he's going to be stupid enough to get sent off for an incident that will invoke his suspended sentence then he can f**k off, we don't need to waste our time and money with players who are going to persistently let us down because they have no self control.

From this incident it would appear that maybe Danny hasn't learnt much of a lesson from the grand final.

This culture of dissent and abuse that permits - even encourages - the bench to all stand up and abuse the ref is a plague upon the game and has a negative impact in a lot of ways.

Referees - especially HAL officials - are already extremely lenient on dissent and abuse, but it'd be interesting to see if they're going to clamp down a little.

Considering there was a bit of a push and shove (something else referees are extremely lenient about), we're probably lucky more cards weren't issued - particularly if the bench was involved. 

bikinigirl

. i keep thinking about the gf incident and the video shows half the team having a go at the referee. but you can see wilko running back into position - now some have already said that he should have done more, but i can't agree

. the ref never changes his mind! (excpet for that incident in euro, but you know what i mean)

. if the captain knows this and acts accordingly the rest of the team should as well - and they shouldn't have to be pulled into line by anybody else

. the team should all commit themselves to cut this crap out completely. it may not improve refereeing, but as we have seen complaining can have dire consequences and certainly desn't improve refereeing

EDIT: posts made while typing haven't been read yet

Jaza_SFC

An idiot regardless - why risk it?

And no matter how bad the call is, people from the bench shouldn't be challenging the ref. It's that simple - Gorman has it right.

bikinigirl

. good post capn gus

. its similar to the yellow cards that say heff & sasho got last year for stupid little unnecessary and unprofessional things (sooky whinge type things) - in the scheme of things it doesn't seem too bad, but if you miss a game because of accumulated yellow cards it is a disgrace

. can you tell it really frustrates me?

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

cheers bikinigirl.  I'm with you,it's too frustrating when we lose key players for these reasons.  Dissent is the stupidest of them all, and it hurts us when that card contributes to a suspension. 

Teddy Bear

Danny's beahaviour isn;t the worst thing about the match report, the worst thing is our goal keeping problem. If we have to endure five games with Redmayne we will be in so much trouble. It is a dead set worry.

skilbeck

well the Nash rumor has died so I dont know whats going to happen. I assume Redmayne will play at least some of the PSC.

As for Danny, Lawrie needs to be a Scotsman and yell incoherantly at Danny for a period of time and I think that while Danny is on the bench Lawrie should be applying the masking tape

Paolo

Teddy Bear said:
Danny's beahaviour isn;t the worst thing about the match report, the worst thing is our goal keeping problem. If we have to endure five games with Redmayne we will be in so much trouble. It is a dead set worry.
my sources tell me it is bosnich and its being kept on the down low....shh dont tell anyone

Aden

Teddy Bear said:

Agreed instead of all this Oliver Bozanic rubbish and  whoever else..  BUY A KEEPER

Paolo

Media Release
The Central Coast Mariners will welcome iconic Australian footballer Mark Bosnich to team training at Bluetongue Stadium tomorrow (Thursday, 17 July), as the legend Qantas Socceroo goalkeeper begins a two-week trial with the reigning Hyundai A-League Premiers.

Bosnich will be put through his paces by the Mariners coaching staff and playing squad for one and a half hours at the Mariners idyllic bayside home and will be made available for comment at the conclusion of the session.

"Mark has not signed a contract with the Mariners, but has been invited to train with us to further his aspirations to return to top-flight football, if not with the Mariners, then with another club in Australia or abroad," said Mariners Executive Chairman Lyall Gorman.

"By virtue of Marks vast and impressive professional experience, his very presence at training will be inspiration for our younger players ahead of the regular season and were delighted to offer one of the true trail blazers of Australian football the chance to experience the Mariners and the Hyundai A-League."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred