• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Vinyl >>>>> any other audio format

serious14

.......in terms of the overall listening experience, treble and bass definition, channel separation, and general "vibe".

Discuss.    :popcorn:

J

jiggles

serious14 said:
.......in terms of the overall listening experience, treble and bass definition, channel separation, and general "vibe".

Discuss.    :popcorn:

+1

Is all I can really say. I have a record collection that I got from my dad, as well as adding on to over the years and nothing compares. I'm not sure if it's so much the quality but so much the comfort? I grew up in a really musical family (alas, it ended with my brother...I inherited no such talents) and my dad had his records blasting all the time.

I have my own player and my Eagles "Long Run" vinyl pretty much lives on it. Amazing album.  There is this place in Newtown, like 3 storeys and just FULL of vinyls. Some in amazingly great condition for really cheap. I got 10 Elton John records for about $15.

FFC Mariner

Waits for someone to post a long techo article about the merits of valves opposed to transistors etc.

But yes James you are correct

Arabmariner

dibo said:
awkward, fragile, fuzzy, imprecise. not for me.

cd, thanks muchly.
Me too.

Took all my vinyl to the tip a few years back.I've replaced a fair percentage of them now on cd.You were hard pushed to find a turntable then too.Funny how things have reversed a little bit.

I get all nostalgic about a lot of things but not this. Cd's>>>>>>>>>>>>>>vinyl easily.

This thread=a load of old cobblers!  ;D  ;)  :p

marinermick

Arabmariner said:
dibo said:

cd, thanks muchly.
Me too.

Took all my vinyl to the tip a few years back.I've replaced a fair percentage of them now on cd.You were hard pushed to find a turntable then too.Funny how things have reversed a little bit.

I get all nostalgic about a lot of things but not this. Cd's>>>>>>>>>>>>>>vinyl easily.

what sort of vinyl did you throw out because they command good money these days?

i heart my "never mind the bollocks" on vinyl

Arabmariner

marinermick said:
Arabmariner said:
dibo said:

cd, thanks muchly.
Me too.

what sort of vinyl did you throw out because they command good money these days?

Don't know how they command good money Mick when you can buy it dirt cheap in 2nd hand record shops ? Unless it's certain albums I suppose.

Full Led Zep collection, Lynyrd skynyrd, Motorhead ,AC/DC all up would have been around 200 albums.Mostly heavy stuff as that's about all I was into back then.A fair few of them had been water damaged in a flood though so wouldn't have been worth anything anyway.

I always intended replacing them onto cd though.

marinermick

Some of the albums from the bands you mentioned would have got you dollars if in decent condition (not flood damaged).

Heck, I would have bought them off you.

I feel sad about vinyl being thrown away but then I remember that the more that gets thrown away the more that my collect is worth. Would never contimplate selling it though.

serious14

Arabmariner said:

Well now that you're posting in here..... ;)

Mick is right ( :eek: ) about certain vinyl's commanding decent money these days - any original print run stuff from (amongst others obviously) The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Eagles, Led Zeppelin, and even some more modern stuff that only had an extremely limited run (The Living End - One Said to the Other 7" can fetch up to $300, as there was only 150 done) fetches a very good price.

I forgot to mention in my OP about the collectible nature of them as well - nothing quite like some stunning album artwork ("Coldplay - Viva la Vida" as an example) displayed on a proper album sized sleeve.  ;D

Sean

marinermick said:
Arabmariner said:
dibo said:

cd, thanks muchly.
Me too.

I will start the inevitable "List of records that could be worth something right now if I were bothered to sell them";

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of The Moon (1st Australian pressing)
Radiohead - Ok Computer (1st pressing, Double Gatefold, Mint Condish)
Radiohead - In Rainbows (Box Set, Never been played/opened)
Velvet Underground & Nico - Andy Warhol (Double Gatefold, Mint Condish)
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Pink Floyd - Animals
Pink Floyd - Meddle
Pink Floyd - Echoes (Box Set, Never opened/played)
New Order - Blue Monday
The Mars Volta - Deloused In The Comatorium (1st pressing, Double Gatefold, Mint Condish)
The Mars Volta - Frances The Mute (1st pressing, Double Gatefold, Mint Condish)
Daft Punk - Homework (1st pressing, Double Gatefold, Mint Condish)
Sigur ros - Agaetis Byrjun (Double Gatefold, Mint Condish)
Sigur ros - Taak (Double Gatefold, Mint Condish)

+ A few John Lennon's, Jeff Buckley's and Elliott Smith's

I used to collect a bit of vinyl like mad, but I have dropped off in the last two years due to student situation and no money to burn.

serious14

Sean said:
New Order - Blue Monday
The Mars Volta - Deloused In The Comatorium (1st pressing, Double Gatefold, Mint Condish)

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Me want.

Sean

serious14 said:
Sean said:
New Order - Blue Monday

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Me want.

Deloused is going for 350.39 on Amazon
Frances The Mute betw. 80 - 152.26

erm. i dunno, might hold onto it for a bit.

Arabmariner

That Pink Floyd collection.....had all them too!

But like I said a lot of them were damaged.....in boxes in the garage for one night during a move while we sorted this rented place out.Rained during the night and the bloody garage flooded.Pissed off but only because I hadn't got round to replacing them all on cd.

Still got all my singles though....can't replace them.

On the subject of vinyl though........when I was on Amazon uk I noticed you could buy the new Muse album on vinyl.I didn't realise they were making new albums on vinyl.

Sean

Arabmariner said:

But like I said a lot of them were damaged.....in boxes in the garage for one night during a move while we sorted this rented place out.Rained during the night and the bloody garage flooded.Pissed off but only because I hadn't got round to replacing them all on cd.

On the subject of vinyl though........when I was on Amazon uk I noticed you could buy the new Muse album on vinyl.I didn't realise they were making new albums on vinyl.

Are they recoverable on home and contents insurance? could've claimed a fair bit if so.

serious14

Arabmariner said:
I didn't realise they were making new albums on vinyl.

*nods*  There was a revival of sorts in the early to mid 90's (baby boomer nostalgia really), but then they subsequently passed that on to their kids and grandkids and the record companies realised that whilst there wasn't a mass market for them, there were still plenty of keen collectors.  They often release a run of 10 000 or so for new albums (sometimes less if they want them to be _proper_ collector's editions) - and lately they've been going back and doing re-issues of album's that they only initially did runs of 1000 for - as an example, Muse's first four albums were re-released on vinyl a few weeks ago.

Arabmariner

Sean said:
Arabmariner said:

Are they recoverable on home and contents insurance? could've claimed a fair bit if so.
There actually wasn't all that much damaged....apart from the albums.....with the excess it would have been a waste of time.None of the more sought after ones ie Dark side of the moon would have been original press or anything unusual.

Too late anyway.That was back in 2000.

Arabmariner

serious14 said:
Arabmariner said:
I didn't realise they were making new albums on vinyl.

*nods*  There was a revival of sorts in the early to mid 90's (baby boomer nostalgia really), but then they subsequently passed that on to their kids and grandkids and the record companies realised that whilst there wasn't a mass market for them, there were still plenty of keen collectors.  They often release a run of 10 000 or so for new albums (sometimes less if they want them to be _proper_ collector's editions) - and lately they've been going back and doing re-issues of album's that they only initially did runs of 1000 for - as an example, Muse's first four albums were re-released on vinyl a few weeks ago.
Weird that.

Here's me trying to replace all mine onto cd which for the most part is pretty cheap and easy.But there are certain albums which are extremely hard to either find on cd or if you do are ridiculously expensive.

i.e. SAHB live (hasbeen  ;)) and The Book of Invasions....Horslips (who? I hear you say)  ::)

FFC Mariner

Son and heir just returned from NYC and what did he bring back?

Vinyl.

Had Blue Monday on the original 12" single  - got thrown out by mum

Arabmariner

serious14 said:
Arabmariner said:
I forgot to mention in my OP about the collectible nature of them as well - nothing quite like some stunning album artwork ("Coldplay - Viva la Vida" as an example) displayed on a proper album sized sleeve.  ;D
I remember at school whenever you got a new album you'd take it with you  and wander around with it under your arm......looked cool you see........"look he's got the new Zep album....what an ace guy".....couldn't do that with a cd lol!

Then in 1976 it all changed when people like FFC came along....."look,there's a f**kin hippy, let's get him".........then it was on....... ;D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred