• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Viduka retires?

priorpeter

MARK Viduka's football career in Europe appears all but over, with the former Socceroos captain said to be happy sailing his yacht off Croatia and unlikely to make a return to football any time soon.

Viduka recently snubbed an offer from Premier League outfit Fulham to resurrect his club career after he was released by relegated Newcastle at the end of last season.

The 33-year-old said he was looking for a new start in life and sources have told Sportal that new start is unlikely to involve football, at least in the short term.

His decision would appear to rule him out of playing for Australia in next year's World Cup.

Viduka also has a summer house on the Croatian coast and after a torrid two years battling injury, has decided to call it quits for now and spend time with his wife Ivana and three children. He may choose to return to football in some role in the future, but has no firm plans.

He has been linked with a possible return to Melbourne to play for the new A-League franchise, currently known as the Melbourne Heart, which joins the competition next season, after the World Cup.

It is not the first time Viduka has effectively walked out on the game with his move from Dinamo Zagreb to Celtic in 1998 stalled for two months after the then 23-year-old said he was suffering stress. He eventually crossed to Celtic in February 1999, a move which made him as a player.

He would go on to score 27 goals in his first full season with the Scottish giants before moving the Leeds in 2000. He became a hero at Elland Rd scoring 59 goals in 130 games before spending time at Middlesbrough and Newcastle United.

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/110621,viduka-its-all-over.aspx

clarence

Yeah, with the transfer window slowly closing, I don't think he has enough time to negotiate and sign a fresh deal with any decent club at the higher end of the game, and be fit enough to contribute to this season.

He may as well retire I guess, if he doesn't want to return to Australia to play for fear of getting jeered like Aloisi did, as Australia might be the last place he'd get a decent deal at a reasonable standard of competition.

goingtoadisco

Good career and all the best for his future endeavors !

( which will no doubt include alot of fine foods, fine wine, sailing and a much bigger Mark Viduka next time we see him :p

typool

i think you may be right...
speaking of players wanting to find clubs.. when will Lucas Neil make up his mind...Sunderland was the Favourite.. he hasn't got long

clarence

typool said:
speaking of players wanting to find clubs.. when will Lucas Neil make up his mind...Sunderland was the Favourite.. he hasn't got long
Neil is more of a concern tbh. He really needs to bed down a good deal fast. 2010 is just around the corner......and the WC beckons. He needs a good comp. and plenty of game time.

dru

goingtoadisco said:
Good career and all the best for his future endeavors !

( which will no doubt include alot of fine foods, fine wine, sailing and a much bigger Mark Viduka next time we see him :p
The Australian Maradona?

p-diddy

clarence said:
Yeah, with the transfer window slowly closing, I don't think he has enough time to negotiate and sign a fresh deal with any decent club at the higher end of the game, and be fit enough to contribute to this season.

He may as well retire I guess, if he doesn't want to return to Australia to play for fear of getting jeered like Aloi$i did, as Australia might be the last place he'd get a decent deal at a reasonable standard of competition.

I see what you're saying here, but as it stands, Dukes is a free agent and therefore does not need to worry about the transfer deadlines etc. He can make a comeback whenever he wishes.

Arabmariner

clarence said:
typool said:
Neil is more of a concern tbh. He really needs to bed down a good deal fast. 2010 is just around the corner......and the WC beckons. He needs a good comp. and plenty of game time.
It's starting to look like Neill is getting greedy?

He's got offers from EPL sides including West Ham on the table hasn't he ?

Some of these over paid greedy prima donnas need a good kick up the arse back to the real world!

tuftman

as far as I know, the free transfer window is a seperate one, so he has a little more time up his sleeve. But really, why waste time?

Morgan30

Arabmariner said:
clarence said:
typool said:
It's starting to look like Neill is getting greedy?

He's got offers from EPL sides including West Ham on the table hasn't he ?

Some of these over paid greedy prima donnas need a good kick up the arse back to the real world!

+1 hes had offers from everywhere, problem is he seems to think he deserves a wage more than torres gets

coast

I'd have him at the mariners in a heartbeat if we had the option. Iv'e no doubts with the squad we have, goals would come with introduction of viduka. Put that ontop of a solid defence (imo our best asset so far) and we would be a great chance of plate, seat n if squad stayed together som acl glory, i can dream can't i? hahaha

clarence

coast said:
I'd have him at the mariners in a heartbeat if we had the option. Iv'e no doubts with the squad we have, goals would come with introduction of viduka. Put that ontop of a solid defence (imo our best asset so far) and we would be a great chance of plate, seat n if squad stayed together som acl glory, i can dream can't i? hahaha

The big question is though: 'Do we have enough Pies on the Coast for the man to eat?' ;D

If Viduka DOES return to Australia to play out his career, I really hope for his sake - and the club he lumps up to, that he undergoes a very intensive fitness regime before taking the field. Otherwise you are just asking for a Brian Deans or Mario Jardel type of performance and end up being the laughing stock of the A-League. I think from past comments about Aloi$i's plight last season, Viduka would be aware that he has to prepare properly.

priorpeter

The eventful 16-year professional career of Australian striker Mark Vidua is all but over, according to his closest confidante and former Socceroos team-mate Josip Skoko.

Hajduk Split midfielder Skoko, who quit the national team after the 2006 World Cup, talked with the 33-year-old ex-Celtic, Leeds, Middlesbrough and Newcastle striker "a few days ago" and is betting that the former talisman will not play again at club or national team level.

Skoko predicts that Viduka, who is currently in England, will instead take an extended holiday in the land of his parents and his wife, Croatia, before returning to settle in his hometown of Melbourne later this year.

"I spoke to Mark and he said he had one (Premier League) option in the UK and it was all boiling down to that. But I think if he was going to take that option Id have heard by now," Skoko explained.

"The fact I haven't heard from him in the last 48 hours probably means he won't be going any further (with his career). It looks to me as though he has made a final decision.

"Hell probably come and get some sun in Croatia now while it lasts, then return to live in Australia."

Skoko, who is considering extending his career in the A-League at the conclusion of the Croatian season, claims Viduka will not take that path.

"I think if he doesn't play in the Premiership, then the A-League won't appeal to him," Skoko said.

"It will be a case of if hes finished with the Premier League (where Portsmouth and Fulham failed to tempt him after his exit from relegated Newcastle) then hell be finished with football full stop.

"That that would of course mean the national team also. Hes been making some hard decisions and its been a tough time for him."

Skoko, 33, though offered a slither of solace to those who wont accept the Viduka era is over until the man himself steps out publicly and confirms his retirement to end lingering speculation of his availability for the 2010 World Cup.

"There is always an element of uncertainty with Mark," he added. "One day he feels one way, the next he feels different. Hes been brilliant for Australia but everything comes to an end.

"Were both approaching our mid 30s (Viduka turns 34 in October and Skoko is 34 in December) and its now our time to retire."

The graceful Geelong-raised Skoko, who had spells in Belgium with Genk, Turkey with Genclerberligi and Wigan in England, is now in his second coming at Hajduk.

"Living and playing in Europe takes it out of you, and also your family, and you have to know when enough is enough," he explained.

"Im coming closer to that point. I will definitely leave Hajduk at the end of my deal.

"After that, I am keeping the option open of maybe a year or so in the A-League, maybe with the new team Melbourne Heart if they are interested and if its good for both of us. Or maybe another club."

Skoko, who has made a fortune from business interests outside football, also plans to acquire his AFC coaching badges with a view to possibly eventually coaching at A-League level.

As for Vidukas life post football, Skoko, whose friendship was forged with the V-Bomber at the AIS when they were both teenagers, has no idea what route he will take.

"Im sure he has a few things up his sleeve," Skoko said. "Weve both spent 15 years or so overseas and you could say weve come full circle. I dont think you will see any regrets from either of us."

Just to muddy the waters a little, Vidukas agent Steve Kutner is currently in America "on business", which might mean an MLS component to the Viduka saga.

http://www.theworldgame.com.au/aussies-abroad/end-of-the-road-for-viduka-231262

Azza-Mataz

priorpeter said:
The eventful 16-year professional career of Australian striker Mark Vidua is all but over, according to his closest confidante and former Socceroos team-mate Josip Skoko.

Hajduk Split midfielder Skoko, who quit the national team after the 2006 World Cup, talked with the 33-year-old ex-Celtic, Leeds, Middlesbrough and Newcastle striker "a few days ago" and is betting that the former talisman will not play again at club or national team level.

Skoko predicts that Viduka, who is currently in England, will instead take an extended holiday in the land of his parents and his wife, Croatia, before returning to settle in his hometown of Melbourne later this year.

"I spoke to Mark and he said he had one (Premier League) option in the UK and it was all boiling down to that. But I think if he was going to take that option I’d have heard by now," Skoko explained.

"The fact I haven't heard from him in the last 48 hours probably means he won't be going any further (with his career). It looks to me as though he has made a final decision.

"He’ll probably come and get some sun in Croatia now while it lasts, then return to live in Australia."

Skoko, who is considering extending his career in the A-League at the conclusion of the Croatian season, claims Viduka will not take that path.

"I think if he doesn't play in the Premiership, then the A-League won't appeal to him," Skoko said.

"It will be a case of if he’s finished with the Premier League (where Portsmouth and Fulham failed to tempt him after his exit from relegated Newcastle) then he’ll be finished with football full stop.

"That that would of course mean the national team also. He’s been making some hard decisions and it’s been a tough time for him."

Skoko, 33, though offered a slither of solace to those who won’t accept the Viduka era is over until the man himself steps out publicly and confirms his retirement to end lingering speculation of his availability for the 2010 World Cup.

"There is always an element of uncertainty with Mark," he added. "One day he feels one way, the next he feels different. He’s been brilliant for Australia but everything comes to an end.

"We’re both approaching our mid 30s (Viduka turns 34 in October and Skoko is 34 in December) and it’s now our time to retire."

The graceful Geelong-raised Skoko, who had spells in Belgium with Genk, Turkey with Genclerberligi and Wigan in England, is now in his second coming at Hajduk.

"Living and playing in Europe takes it out of you, and also your family, and you have to know when enough is enough," he explained.

"I’m coming closer to that point. I will definitely leave Hajduk at the end of my deal.

"After that, I am keeping the option open of maybe a year or so in the A-League, maybe with the new team Melbourne Heart if they are interested and if it’s good for both of us. Or maybe another club."

Skoko, who has made a fortune from business interests outside football, also plans to acquire his AFC coaching badges with a view to possibly eventually coaching at A-League level.

As for Viduka’s life post football, Skoko, whose friendship was forged with the ‘V-Bomber’ at the AIS when they were both teenagers, has no idea what route he will take.

"I’m sure he has a few things up his sleeve," Skoko said. "We’ve both spent 15 years or so overseas and you could say we’ve come full circle. I don‘t think you will see any regrets from either of us."

Just to muddy the waters a little, Viduka’s agent Steve Kutner is currently in America "on business", which might mean an MLS component to the Viduka saga.

http://www.theworldgame.com.au/aussies-abroad/end-of-the-road-for-viduka-231262

a bit sad really

priorpeter

He's coming back to Australia.

http://www.theworldgame.com.au/aussies-abroad/viduka-coming-back-home-233797

Perhaps Victory will pick him up for Allsopp? or Heart will pick him up next year?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred