• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

v8 supercar thread

adz

Staff member
A thread for discussing the great race ;)

I'll kick off with a few highlights.... a couple of near misses in 2007

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2BxeAo3vFA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ulN4SOtYbo

Murphy best ever lap around the track

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_78NrSGBudI

J

jiggles

I am amazed...at each person is allowed one case of full strength beer per day...that's amazing. The crowd is going to be tanked. LOL

hasbeen

poko said:
I am amazed...at each person is allowed one case of full strength beer per day...that's amazing. The crowd is going to be tanked. LOL

Shit .. you'd need to be .. what a crock of boring garbage.

hasbeen

adz said:
They are running on e85 ;)

E85 may not be an improvement over gas   
by William Atkins   
Thursday, 10 May 2007 
Switching from gasoline to ethanol may not reduce air pollution and improve health conditions, at least according to a study just conducted by a U.S. atmospheric scientist at Stanford University (California).

tuftman

i) Bathurst>>>>>>every other sporting event held in Australia(unless we get that small matter of a FIFA World Cup(ohh yeah, them Olympics might be there or thereabouts too))

ii) This E85 caper - sure its good for the environment(apparently), and the added fuel burn makes for a f**king hard race to follow strategy wise. But the reduction in horsepower means Murphs lap isn't going to be threatened anytime soon IMHO

iii) Yeah, its a bogan fest. But the drivers don't gangbang 19 year old girls afterwards, get caught indulging excessively in drugs/alcohol/whatever else. And the governing body of the sport actually gives a shit about its public image

iv) Hasbeen, contribute, or GTFO ;)

v) Nordschleife aside, is there a better track in the world. Spa? nah, its been tinkered with too many times. And James/Serious14... no Istanbul Parks turn 8 doesn't constitute it being a better track then Bathurst. Circuit de la Sarthe(Le Mans 24hr race) maybe... but I'm a patriot :D

vi) Craig who?? Jamie who??

CANNOT wait until next year(planning on being there :D)

hasbeen

I did contribute by highlighting the futility of changing to E85. Oh, and FWIW ... bring back the Jags ...

serious14

tuftman said:
i) Bathurst>>>>>>every other sporting event held in Australia(unless we get that small matter of a FIFA World Cup(ohh yeah, them Olympics might be there or thereabouts too))

v) Nordschleife aside, is there a better track in the world. Spa? nah, its been tinkered with too many times. And James/Serious14... no Istanbul Parks turn 8 doesn't constitute it being a better track then Bathurst. Circuit de la Sarthe(Le Mans 24hr race) maybe... but I'm a patriot :D

In answer to the first bit - no.  Just......... no.  The Boxing Day Test and AFL Grand Final would argue with that point and win by a knockout blow.

In answer to the second part - I know you like your motorsport, but are you _really_ gonna put "Mount" Panorama up against Eau Rouge??  Or the Nurburgring??  Come on lad, get real.  Maybe it's because I violently dislike V8's, but honestly - Eau Rouge is one of the single most amazing things I have ever seen - a flight into space and back would seem trite by comparison.

Marquee

tuftman said:
ii) This E85 caper - sure its good for the environment(apparently), and the added fuel burn makes for a f**king hard race to follow strategy wise. But the reduction in horsepower means Murphs lap isn't going to be threatened anytime soon IMHO

I disagree. Tander's shootout lap was a 2.07.9, which by comparison is a fair way off Murph's time, but take into to consideration that it had been pouring only 45 mins before this years shootout, which would have washed all the rubber and grip off the track. He also had a lockup in the Chase too.

Jason Richards ran a 2.07.2 in qualifying, only ~ 3.5 tenths of Murph.

I'm not underestimating Murph's killer lap, but there are a lot of factors. He had the advantage of a newly resurfaced track. This year we had low temperatures, affecting grip levels. A year or two's development on E85 and good weather will see someone go very close.

adz

Staff member
I think lowndes was on a very low 7, possibly a high 6 in qualifying when the red flag came out at the end... was a couple of tenths up on the 2nd split anyway.

dibo

I love the track - the run from Reid Park, McPhillamy, Skyline and then dropping down the hill is stunning, a mix of on and off-camber surfaces and the concrete canyon dropping down to Forrest Elbow is thrilling to watch and completely unforgiving. As a kid I used to love seeing the cars getting all squirrelly through the dipper, and in wet weather the place is just six tonnes of crazy.

This doesn't devalue Spa (which I still rate, the latest changes to the bus stop improve it quite a bit from the stop start bullshit from the 90s) and obviously Nordschleife is the duck's nuts. Suzuka's great especially 130R, Silverstone is amazing for being a *w*i*d*e* high speed nuts out raceway, and Monza while it's ageing disgracefully is still crazy and awesome.

A big part of Bathurst's appeal (like the other tracks mentioned) is the history and the contrast to other tracks in the Australian circuit. The 500 and then 1000 have been running continuously for nearly 50 years and there are loads of tales from those years. The contrast between the track and the frankly dull tracks that make up the rest of the circuit means it can't help but be the highlight of the season (especially since Lakeside, Oran Park and Amaroo Park are gone - who's going to get excited about 161 laps around Winton or Mallala?).

Luckily I grew to love Bathurst before the V8s came around - I was really disappointed in 1993 when we went from an interesting and relatively cosmopolitan multi-class ATCC and Enduro setup to glorified taxi racing. Being a little kid in the 80s watching Commodores dicing with Mustangs, XJSs, 635s and Volvos was excellent. The battles in the lower classes between the hordes of unbreakable little Corollas were amazing too.

adz

Staff member
1985 jag doing a lap.. this is before the chase was put on conrod straight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5jtf83eKGs

tuftman

serious14 said:
tuftman said:

In answer to the first bit - no.  Just......... no.  The Boxing Day Test and AFL Grand Final would argue with that point and win by a knockout blow.

In answer to the second part - I know you like your motorsport, but are you _really_ gonna put "Mount" Panorama up against Eau Rouge??   Or the Nurburgring??  Come on lad, get real.   Maybe it's because I violently dislike V8's, but honestly - Eau Rouge is one of the single most amazing things I have ever seen - a flight into space and back would seem trite by comparison.

Your first point, depends what you're into I guess.

The entire run from Reid Park to Skyline is better then Eau Rouge for the fact that Eau Rouge is piss easy in comparison. Fact. (you mess up across the top of the mountain in a V8 Supercar, and you eat concrete.. you mess up through Eau Rouge in a modern Day F1 car and you not only need to wake up as its easy flat, but you just go onto the asphalted run off area and carry on down the straight to Les Combes). As spectacular as Eau Rouge looks, its not really that bigger deal anymore in Formula 1 terms(which is when you saw Spa)... ohh, and note that I mentioned the Nurburgring... its callled the Nordschliefe ;)

Marquee - your point about the track being resurfaced, makes the track slower as its greasier with all the oils and whatever else they use sitting close to the surface. Murph also apparently messed up at the dipper and got 1st instead of 2nd gear, so I wonder how much that cost him(probably 'only' a tenth or two). It'll get beaten, don't get me wrong, but it'll take time thats all I'm saying(probably came across a bit excessively in my OP that I thought it would be decades or whatever... my bad)

Dibo and Adz - I loved watching old videos of races way back when, when names like Brock, Moffat, Jim Richards, Larry Perkins(the younger versions of these guys :p) Ickx and all the rest went round. I'd love to see a return to those days :D

Grahamh - in 2003 and 2004 I think it was, they did a 24hr race at Bathurst. Ferrari, Lamborghini, Mosler.. all the rest showed up. The 7 Litre V8 Monaro was the quickest car at both races, and they where doing 2.14's or thereabouts in qualifying. In the same years on the same track, the v8's where doing 2.08's, and a few into the 7's and Murph in the 6's. If thats what you meant by 'production' enduro, then youtube for the 24 hour race at bathurst.. wasnt bad to watch actually(by that I mean the run across Skyline at night was breathtakingly amazing)

.....not like I'm passionate about Bathurst much :p

Marquee

tuftman said:
Marquee - your point about the track being resurfaced, makes the track slower as its greasier with all the oils and whatever else they use sitting close to the surface. Murph also apparently messed up at the dipper and got 1st instead of 2nd gear, so I wonder how much that cost him(probably 'only' a tenth or two). It'll get beaten, don't get me wrong, but it'll take time thats all I'm saying(probably came across a bit excessively in my OP that I thought it would be decades or whatever... my bad)

All good tuftman, I see what you mean.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred