• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

UEFA approves anti-racism guidelines

J

jiggles

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/07/03/2615904.htm

Feel free to move, or delete if has already been posted...don't frequent this section too often so wasn't sure.

dibo

UEFA approves anti-racism guidelines

Posted Fri Jul 3, 2009 10:49am AEST
Updated Fri Jul 3, 2009 10:48am AEST

UEFA has approved new guidelines for match officials to deal with racist chants or other behaviour in stadiums which includes abandoning the game.

The rules would allow the referee to stop a match and issue a warning over the public address system requesting the racist behaviour cease, UEFA said in a statement.

If this did not work, he could suspend the game for 5 to 10 minutes.

"As a third and final step, if the racist behaviour does not cease after the game has restarted, the referee shall as a last resort, definitively abandon the match," UEFA added.

UEFA president Michel Platini said the rules were aimed at giving the people on the ground the power to act.

"There have been racist incidents in eastern countries and the Balkans," he said.

"I think it's important since we are fighting for zero tolerance when it comes to doping and corruption in soccer. We have decided for some time to also have zero tolerance towards racism."

The executive body also decided that any consequences, such as forfeit, stadium suspension, fines or others, from the racism outbreak "will be dealt with by the UEFA disciplinary bodies".

A number of racist incidents, mainly involving chants from home fans, have blighted matches in recent years and UEFA have often been criticised for imposing relatively minor fines and sanctions on the governing body of offending nations.

UEFA also discussed financial fair play, to make sure that UEFA's competitions remain fair and balanced, and that clubs work within their financial means.

UEFA general secretary David Taylor said in the statement that the next major step on this issue would be the setting up of a financial control panel, which will be done at the next executive committee meeting in September.

"The key principle on the road towards a fairer and more transparent game is that football should reward those clubs living within their means," UEFA added.

"This means that clubs shall need to reduce their spending. To be viable, salaries and transfers should be proportionate to the generated income," it added.

-Reuters

Well that screws Hajduk Split and Dinamo Zagreb at the very least. Atletico Madrid and Paris Saint Germain fans might get their clubs in bother too.

I wonder if they'll bring this in for internationals too?

dibo

...come to think of it, Chelsea might want to keep an eye on a few of their fans - I believe they 'earnt' their reputation back in the day.

Arabmariner

I wonder if "racist" includes religion as in Celtic and Rangers.

If it does they're fighting a losing battle with that lot.

In some of these other examples like Hajduk Split and Zagreb abandoning a game because of a few chants regardless of how offensive they might be could very well provoke a full scale riot.

Better imo to play out the game then fine,deduct points or award the game to the other club later.

Morgan30

Spurs fans dont mind a good racial chant either, their display last season at Fratton park towards Sol Campbell was quite simply a disgrace and if this can do something towards preventing this occuring then everyone should be all for it

Jazzie

Sheer joy at beating the scum :)
Arabmariner said:
I wonder if "racist" includes religion as in Celtic and Rangers.

If it does they're fighting a losing battle with that lot.

In some of these other examples like Hajduk Split and Zagreb abandoning a game because of a few chants regardless of how offensive they might be could very well provoke a full scale riot.

Better imo to play out the game then fine,deduct points or award the game to the other club later.

LOL ... I had that thought when I first looked at the thread .... C and R each have got some pretty mean chants and songs ... however they are not alone. Crossing the channel, there are plenty of clubs/countries that spout vile racist stuff... worst is the monkey chants and actions. And it is not just football, India (cricket)  and South Africa (rugby) are up the top for racist attitudes. Aus cricket yobs are not far behind, although they are mainly found in WA.

Atomic

Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. I agree with Arab... play out the game then fine,deduct points or award the game to the other club later. If the ref has the balls to call off the game, I hope UEFA has a helicopter to fly the match officials to safety.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred