• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Triple J - Hottest 100

Tassiemariner

Sean said:
Foriegnmariner said:
As for ravana's point, that's not really triple j's fault, that's the music industry. In the 90's there were so many original, creative bands coming through like your custards, pulp, hole etc but originality is now just getting as much lesbian action as possible in film clips and using a synth 24/7. It's good for your 18th birthday parties but not for much else.

Is it more the fact that you just can't get into it? I really hope I don't hold onto my era of music as much as past generations have. Im sorry but all three of those bands have not really made a blip besides Pulp which are becoming more & more as that band who sung "that common people song". Hole being creative? Love just raided the songs from Kurt's top draw. Please put down the Pavement records and continue on with your library of music.

There is plenty of stuff coming through that is creative and is still testing the boundaries of music, its just there is a massive lack of will to actually search and listen out for these bands instead of opting for whatever fodder that triple j is ramming down people's throats. Comeon! their number one Mumford & Sons, is the hideous cousin of Grizzly Bear. I highly suggest you listen to GB's album "Veckatimest". that or get a copy of Animal Collective's "Merriweather Post Pavillion" - two of the best albums to be released last year. See how you go with those for creativity.
Was just using those bands as examples off the top of my head but fair points on both.

As for your recommendations, Animal Collective's album is fantastic, had triple j on non-stop when that was feature album.

Arabmariner

It's strange that when a band becomes a massive success the slagging off starts.It's like they must remain playing small venues and repeat their first couple of albums over and over or they've "sold out" etc

I seem to remember a time when Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd were slagged off constantly as well.

In the UK anyway.

:popcorn:

Arabmariner

Sean said:
who are we referring to here?
Muse........there seems to be a fair bit of slagging them off going on.......not just here but just comments I've heard and read elsewhere.

People like what they like and fair enough too but is it really neccesary to profess hatred for a band they don't like because they became 'big' ?

Sean

I haven't heard anyone rave on about Muse because they were "big" but the words "overhyped","unoriginal" i have heard before. Their spot in the top 10 is just default and that song proves those two words true...seriously, Muse fans have to admit it themselves that the two songs in that list are pretty poor.

I am aware this will spur a series of reactions and that a clan of World of Warcraft fans will be looking for my address immediately.

Arabmariner

Sean said:
I am aware this will spur a series of reactions and that a clan of World of Warcraft fans will be looking for my address immediately.
lol

And tbh I hadn't looked at the list until I read that post and I would agree with you that they are not the best choice of songs (wouldn't agree about them being poor though  ;) ).But since when did some 'top 100 or whatever' chart ever really mean anything anyway ? I mean does anyone actually really pay any attention to it other than to give it a fleeting glance out of interest ?

What is your address btw ?

;)

Sean

Haha yeah im not giving my address publicly, WoW fans horrify me (or is their scent?) we wouldn't want it falling in their hands.

I havent heard their latest album but by accounts heard here on the forum that its some of their greatest work, so obviously those two songs are perhaps their only single worthy tracks of the album.

You're right about the list though and what does it mean, I often click onto Pitchfork for them to recommend me an album or a band to listen to when im out and most of the times they are on the money and their top 100 of 2009 is even more obscure than triple j's hottest 100, its just the client and the direction of the medium which decides the list and in this instance, Pitchforks top 100 was dominated by twee-indie and experimental-electro + Triple J's was filled with their mix of aussie content (aus hip hop mostly which can go get...) spread amongst internationals.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred