• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Train talk

Arabmariner

Just remembered reading this a couple of months ago.Interesting read.

http://www.smh.com.au/executive-style/business-travel/travelling-europes-stylish-rail-network-20090518-bbms.html?page=1

dibo

David Votoupal said:
dibo said:
Our suburban network practically is a regional system, simply because of the distances covered. Compare apples with apples.

Yes and even by those standards, it still fails miserably.

Not only are Japan's trains punctual, the comfort the ordinary regional trains can provide is even better- then again if it's "Limited Express" service with First Class available it's another level.

How do you define 'fails miserably'? It's very easy to throw brickbats, but what criteria are you setting?

Bear in mind that the Japanese have poured megabillions into infrastructure in a way that we don't have the economic scale to achieve. Also bear in mind the difference in population densities that guarantee a level of patronage over all distances greater than we can muster. Also, how much do those trains cost, and what's the comparison with cost and convenience of using cars? If cars are either prohibitively expensive or inconvenient, then more people will use trains. Here, cars are neither, so the number of people using cars is higher and the level of cost or inconvenience that causes people to give up on trains and go to cars is lower.

We aren't Japan, Europe or even the USA. We are Australia, with a peculiar way of setting up our cities and ludicrously low population density both within and between our cities. It's not well suited to public transport. This isn't saying we shouldn't invest and expect more, it's saying that we should be realistic when talking about what we can achieve.

midfielder

David

sorry off trains for one post

For you hope you enjoy  ... On the Guardian site from late last week,
........ The commentator Martin Tyler, not a man given to hyperbole, had gone completely by the end of game, announcing that In years to come, people will be saying, I was here. I was at that game Grown men, hardened football-watchers, are scarcely able to turn their eyes to this.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2009/jun/25/sampdoria-1991-rob-smyth

midfielder

Back on trains anyone got any real good train yarns...

My best is years ago I was living at Marayong on the Riverstone line .. which was and is still only one line... so in peak hour we only got one train per half hour...

At Marayong the train was near empty and you could seat anywhere ... but being a creature of habit I got in the same carriage each day and sat behind Roughie. Why Roughie because he was a  big guy long greasy black hair well after long hair had gone out of fashion, couple of aggressive tats, worn those dark green factory labouror,  clothes, had and old fashion workers bag much like the old railway bags, first guy I saw with ear and nose studs, and he had a anger look about him.

Each day I sat behind Roughie and each day he got out at Blacktown, the next stop. At Blacktown a near empty train with only three stops to the city ... well it was the same rush every morning the mob would rush in and by the time we left there were heaps standing.

This day Roughie stayed in his seat when we got to Blacktown ... normally I would have tapped him on the shoulder and said .. is this your stop ... but he look so rough I did not... Well as the Blacktown mob charged up the stairs Roughie awoke and took off for the door but he was against a mob intent on getting a seat...

I looked out the window and hoped fpr some reason he did not make it (God knows why but I did). Our next stop was Seven Hills the next stop where we normally met and ultra express that after Seven Hills stopped at Redfern we only stopped at Parra & Stratf ...

This day our train slowly went to Seven Hills and the Ultra express was waiting for us... Here is the bit that is interesting on many city rail stations train go in alternate directions from the same platform.

As the train stopped Roughie must have through all his Christmases had come at once because he bounded out of our train and if an Olympic talent scout had been there he was in the hop step and jump team for sure... Roughie made a mad tash for the Ultra express huge jump in the door at the end..

As both trains took off the smile on his face dropped as we speed through Wenty etc... as we approached Parra you could see him getting ready to run off the train ... but the look on his face when the Ultra speed up at Parra station was as the ad says priceless.. I wondered if he asked when it stops ... Remember in those days no phones on stations to ring the boss or mobile ...

Next day I sat behind Roughie said nothing and he got out at Blacktown as normal...

J

jiggles

Have only ever gotten the train in Brisbane from the Airport to the City...and I found it awesome. It was so clean, decently priced and on time. And, was actually accomodating to people at the airport who had luggage...unlike trying to squish in huge baggage along with upthemselves businessmen commuters.

Melbournes trains are good, and so much cheaper! My friend was complaining about how much she spent a month on public transport. When I told her it cost me $250 a month in trains...she soon shut up. Haha.

midfielder

Another sad but true train story...

Got on at North Sydney heading towards Blacktown and was sitting in one of those three seaters but where they face each other...

Any old how at Town Hall a lady about mid 20's sits in the middle between me and another guy... I normally drop off the sleep on trains and quickly but the lady was asleep by Central...

She fell into what must have been quite a deep sleep because she kinda fell forward with her head landing in the guys opposites crouch ... she sleep on ... the poor guy did not know what to do ... everyone smiled ...

Just after Homebush she started to snore and by Auburn started to wake .. then woke realised how she was lying sat up ... turned the reddest I have ever seen anybody turn ... got out a book and buried her head in it...

What a sad life I must lead to remember such small things.... but I do...

fedelta

midfielder said:
David

........ The commentator Martin Tyler, not a man given to hyperbole, had gone completely by the end of game, announcing that In years to come, people will be saying, I was here. I was at that game Grown men, hardened football-watchers, are scarcely able to turn their eyes to this.

why post that in a train thread?

Jesus

Jesus
Everyone hates public transport everywhere. If they use it enough.

The same way you hate peak hour if you go thru it enough/everytime you go through it.

Personally cant stand peak hour, especially in the city, and prefer to be standing on a train then cursing in traffic. My preference

Jazzie

Sheer joy at beating the scum :)
Arabmariner said:
dibo said:
Arabmariner said:
And anyone who thinks Sydney trains are bad should try British Rail !

That's something that baffles me. Brits bag the trains, when really the only issue is that they're too expensive. They did the job when I was there, getting me from London to the south-west, up through the midlands to the north-west and then across the Pennines and back to the north-west with no issues other than costing more than I'd really like to pay (certainly more than we pay for similar distances).

But the trains *work* just fine.

Londoners bag the tube! Crazy! It's the single most amazing transit system I've seen (bearing in mind I haven't been to Tokyo or New York). It's quick, reliable, not that expensive (but hardly cheap either).

Anyhoo... just my thoughts on the matter.
I'd never bag the London tube Dibo........brilliant system....goes almost everywhere.

Maybe I'm a bit harsh saying British Rail.....should've said Scot Rail  ;)

I can vouch for that! The most exciting thing catching the train from Edinburgh to Glasgow is the trip back ... ;D

dibo

fedelt said:
midfielder said:
David

why post that in a train thread?

Was probably worth a thread of its own.
Jesus said:
Everyone hates public transport everywhere. If they use it enough.

The same way you hate peak hour if you go thru it enough/everytime you go through it.

Personally cant stand peak hour, especially in the city, and prefer to be standing on a train then cursing in traffic. My preference

If I can sit on a train and listen to music or read a book or a magazine I'm generally pretty happy, and for the most part on trains I can sit. Trains aren't really big enough to read the Herald, so I don't, but I can't read it in the car either.

I tune out in the car in traffic as well, but the Pacific Hwy in peak hour is worse than pretty much any train journey, even listening to interesting news on ABC Newsradio.

But like I said before, there's simply no more sensible (or economical) way of going from Stanmore to Botany than car.

dru

Jazzie said:
I can vouch for that! The most exciting thing catching the train from Edinburgh to Glasgow is the trip back ... ;D

Having down it a few months ago can confirm this is true

J

jiggles

zofl at the lady with her head in the guys crotch.

I had a guy stare directly at my clevage for the most of an hour long train trip. Not subtle. But full on, direct staring.

And people who try and get on the train before you get off...that shits me.

And snotty business men, who wont stand up for you when you are on crutches, and instead a little old lady does but you feel too bad to take her spot.

kevrenor

dru said:
Jazzie said:

Having down it a few months ago can confirm this is true

1. I'm driving
2. I don't intend to go anywhere near Glasgow
:-*

David Votoupal

Of course, but I admit I've never been one to easily forgive and forget. Just that I have no tolerance for idiocy from anybody.

My disappointment is that few would bother to defend anybody who gets abused, and that I always thought people here were well above that. Or well above the "lowest common denominator" types that infest other places. Evidently not.

I didn't "personally attack" anybody, other in response to one person's constant provocations towards me.

marinermick

David Votoupal said:
Of course, but I admit I've never been one to easily forgive and forget. Just that I have no tolerance for idiocy from anybody.

My disappointment is that few would bother to defend anybody who gets abused, and that I always thought people here were well above that. Or well above the "lowest common denominator" types that infest other places. Evidently not.

I didn't "personally attack" anybody, other in response to one person's constant provocations towards me.

don't take this as a personal offence but with all your high-horse rant about intellectual discussion you have only contributed one extra post in the past three pages about your discussion topic

the rest has been about the idiocy of this forum

i think a bit of "practice what you preach" should be in order

marinermick

David Votoupal said:
I'm sorry, but if a person isn't going to apologise for his actions what else do you do?

move on and contribute to the already good discussion in the topic/conversation you started

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred