• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

tokyo 2020

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Two Aussie players were in an offside position blocking their players as they came though. They were warned but it was pretty innocuous and the foul was debatable.

I suppose if you play these tactics you run the risk of the referee blowing the whistle, especially after you are warned.

They weren't offside when the ball was kicked.
We also know that offside wasn't an issue because it was a DFK awarded and there was no flag.
Also, if it's 'interfering with an opponent' (which it can be, even if you stand still), it needs to actually impact play, which it didn't.

So, no, that's not what it was.

And the defenders are completely allowed to stand in the path of the attacker, given they were standing still when the ball was kicked.

The only thing it could possibly have been is some other action by those players - movement towards the attacker, pushing/holding, that sort of thing, that we can't see, though it's still a highly questionable call given the very minor nature and lack of impact on play - and of course, she would have been better off holding the whistle (although even if she awarded the foul after it went in the net, I think VAR would be unlikely to overturn given there basically has to be zero contact, and VAR has been very reluctant to get involved for much of the tournament).

marinermick

I never said they were offside. I said they were in an offside position. Huge difference.

Also I never stated that they were pinged for offside. Read carefully and the conversation was about the foul being them blocking players, exactly as you typed.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

I never said they were offside. I said they were in an offside position. Huge difference.
okay then, they weren't in an offside position when the ball was kicked, happy?
Not sure what you think the 'huge' difference is that might be relevant. Whether they were in an offside position or not at some point prior to the kick being taken is completely irrelevant to any decision.

Also I never stated that they were pinged for offside.

I didn't say you did. Read carefully.

scottmac

Suspended
okay then, they weren't in an offside position when the ball was kicked, happy?
Not sure what you think the 'huge' difference is that might be relevant. Whether they were in an offside position or not at some point prior to the kick being taken is completely irrelevant to any decision.

I didn't say you did. Read carefully.
You've lost the plot Capn. Maybe take a breath and catch up on some sleep.....

turbo

The sort of decision that is made for VAR - let the goal stand and get it reviewed
It baffles me that a linesman is told to let play run for a pretty obvious offside yet the referee would blow the whistle in that situation. It's either incompetence or deliberately cutting VAR out of the decision making process which raises its own questions. Either way it was a really harsh call if justifiable at all.

Tevor

It baffles me that a linesman is told to let play run for a pretty obvious offside yet the referee would blow the whistle in that situation. It's either incompetence or deliberately cutting VAR out of the decision making process which raises its own questions. Either way it was a really harsh call if justifiable at all.
100%, I've watched other Olympic football games (just to get my fix) and the use of VAR has been really inconsistent. I've seen a game where everything took three minutes for VAR to check decisions and others where it appears VAR has not even checked a goal. It's rubbish when used normally however we have a whole raft of different referees from different nations using it their own way and it's been a failure. A word commonly associated with the VAR. Totally agree with the delays with the offside call, most stupid rule in the game at the moment.

MrCelery

My observations of the Olympic campaign:

. A quality forward line largely starved of good service.
. A midfield that was average at best. At that level you can't have midfirelders walking around not looking for opportunities. I was a great admirer of Van Egmond, but this campaign she appeared very lazy and mistake prone. Needed to step up and didn't.
. Back line was very leaky. Polkinghorne may have been good a few years ago. But the game has changed and now looks slow and lumbering.
. Goalkeeper Micah saved us a number of times, but didn't command the box.
. Passing for the most part was abysmal. There were some crisp passages of play, but they were rare. Sweden and the US showed us how to control the ball and make space.
. Fowler looks promising but rarely threatened in the final. Has a lot to learn.
. Kerr is GOAT but can't do it all on her own.
. Coach is no Stajic.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami