• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

This Off Season is killing me!

shipwreck

I know this is probably a stupid thread, but I just wanted to get my frustrations out at how LONG this damn off season feels.

Not sure if its because of how we ended last season and the natural instinct that after a disappointment you want to get back on the horse and get into it, or if its just because this time last year the season was well under way!

Either way, if you share my frustrations or want to rant this is the perfect place.

On a more serious note, I am concerned that the long off season is going to kill a bit of the anticipation of the league, the Kewell saga is a great example of this, everyone was really excited about it but because its been so long, its fizzled and now even if it does happen its not going to have anywhere near the impact it would of if it was sorted only a month in...

Jazzie

Sheer joy at beating the scum :)
I know this is probably a stupid thread, but I just wanted to get my frustrations out at how LONG this damn off season feels.

Not sure if its because of how we ended last season and the natural instinct that after a disappointment you want to get back on the horse and get into it, or if its just because this time last year the season was well under way!

Either way, if you share my frustrations or want to rant this is the perfect place.

On a more serious note, I am concerned that the long off season is going to kill a bit of the anticipation of the league, the Kewell saga is a great example of this, everyone was really excited about it but because its been so long, its fizzled and now even if it does happen its not going to have anywhere near the impact it would of if it was sorted only a month in...
At least last year threads abounded with stories of intrigue, mystery and gossip regarding who was being presumably signed and who was being given the heave-ho. ... mmm ... just nothing going on at the moment ... back to watching the grass grow.

Atomic

At least last year threads abounded with stories of intrigue, mystery and gossip regarding who was being presumably signed and who was being given the heave-ho. ... mmm ... just nothing going on at the moment ... back to watching the grass grow.

It could be that the majority of us are happy with the direction of the club perhaps. This time last year, we were suffering under the paranoia of what Arnie will do to our team. The doomsayers were out in force and the occassional "glass half full" types were all happy to give their 2 cents worth. We were undergoing the biggest clean out / rebuilding in the club's history, so there was plenty to talk about.

Compare then to now. A successful season and the bulk of the team retained. Arnie has proved himself, the youth have proved themselves, the fringe players have stepped up, a new strip is on the way, the club itself is making all the right noises about re-engaging with the community, progress is finally being seen on the CoE... so all-in-all there aint much to bitch about :)

I think it's a case of "steady as she goes".

Jazzie

Sheer joy at beating the scum :)
It could be that the majority of us are happy with the direction of the club perhaps. This time last year, we were suffering under the paranoia of what Arnie will do to our team. The doomsayers were out in force and the occassional "glass half full" types were all happy to give their 2 cents worth. We were undergoing the biggest clean out / rebuilding in the club's history, so there was plenty to talk about.

Compare then to now. A successful season and the bulk of the team retained. Arnie has proved himself, the youth have proved themselves, the fringe players have stepped up, a new strip is on the way, the club itself is making all the right noises about re-engaging with the community, progress is finally being seen on the CoE... so all-in-all there aint much to bitch about :)

I think it's a case of "steady as she goes".

My previous comment was tongue-in-cheek ....

MrCelery

:postcount:

And unlike the other codes, A-League virtually disappears from the media in it's off season. There must be a hundred interesting stories to tell, yet no one is telling them. with the possible exception of SBS.

It would be much worse without the various forums and blogs.

adz

Staff member
I think this longer off season has given the FFA and clubs a chance to hit the reset button, have a look at how things are going, and try to prepare a bit more for the upcoming season. Hopefully it means we will see things like advertising/promotion of the league improve. We have already seen a lot of good things from the Mariners, hopefully we see the same from the A-League in general.

midfielder

I think this longer off season has given the FFA and clubs a chance to hit the reset button, have a look at how things are going, and try to prepare a bit more for the upcoming season. Hopefully it means we will see things like advertising/promotion of the league improve. We have already seen a lot of good things from the Mariners, hopefully we see the same from the A-League in general.

I think that is true for FFA as well as the clubs... you get the feeling they have be slowly coming to grips with what to do...

Forum Phoenix

:postcount:

Driving me crazy

Maybe the sparsity will make people hungrier to watch the HAL. We can only hope.
I certainly am. But it's one bitter, desolate ride isn't it.

I alos hope ADZ is right.

With the long break and no divided WC attention, I'd be hoping for some solid signs this season.
But if not I will still be patient.

HATE the doomsayers, and all the constant whiners.

kevrenor

For us I think it has been and hopefully will be positive.

For a football fix, come along:

Next Friday night (19 August) at Pluim Park, 8:30pm (U20 before) - the 'Coasties' play their last ever game (against Granville Rage in the NSW Super League) - a must to be there!

nikko

Suspended
For us I think it has been and hopefully will be positive.

For a football fix, come along:

Next Friday night (19 August) at Pluim Park, 8:30pm (U20 before) - the 'Coasties' play their last ever game (against Granville Rage in the NSW Super League) - a must to be there!

I will be there with some flares :pirashoot:

Forum Phoenix

Hey Style, thanks for the offer. That would have been great.
But work came up today and can't see it happening now.
Hopefully it's not a washout.

Best
FP

MagpieMariner

This'll get me some flames, but I don't care.
I'm enjoying the long off-season because it allows me to concentrate on my beloved Collingwood marching on to another flag (well, I hope so, anyway).
Once that has been achieved, I can then concentrate on my beloved Mariners as they march on to a first flag.
Last season was a killer, I was trying to look in two different directions at the same time - gave me a real crick in the neck.

Forum Phoenix

This'll get me some flames, but I don't care.
I'm enjoying the long off-season because it allows me to concentrate on my beloved Collingwood marching on to another flag (well, I hope so, anyway).
Once that has been achieved, I can then concentrate on my beloved Mariners as they march on to a first flag.
Last season was a killer, I was trying to look in two different directions at the same time - gave me a real crick in the neck.

Get a massage.
I want to watch some bloody Mariners Spike! :mad:
;)

adz

Staff member
:huh:
What flag is this? And why are we gonna march at it?

AFL tradition. AFL has a massive trophy and a premiership flag - "It is tradition to unfurl it at the first home game of the season the following year in front of the home supporters." (wiki!)

We have a toilet seat.

dibo

Idea: at the first game of the season following a grand final win, the victorious coach grabs the paper and uses the trophy for the purpose it was clearly designed for. The crowd can cheer him on as he goes.

For premiers, maybe they can present a fruit salad to the crowd.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred