• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

this is bullshit

marinerbhoy

Mariners eyeing Olympic Venue
By David Davutovic

April 06, 2008 12:00am

SOCCER'S push into western Sydney will intensify next season, with the Central Coast Mariners to schedule one of two home matches against Sydney FC at Homebush.

Bluetongue Stadium major sponsor John Singleton has ridiculed the move and may pursue legal action, describing it as a "dopey idea''.

It will be the first A-League fixture at ANZ Stadium, after Football Federation Australia were close to switching last season's grand final there. FFA chief executive Ben Buckley said the sport was eager to branch out into the region, with the next A-League club set to emanate from Sydney's west.

"Western Sydney is one of the heartlands of football,'' Buckley said.

"Our aim is to grow the A-League to such an extent that ANZ Stadium could host regular matches.''
It is believed Mariners officials have considered the switch because they play Sydney at home twice, leaving one of the derby games at Bluetongue Stadium.

But Singleton, a former FFA board member who still invests in the Mariners, said it would be a "commercially stupid'' move.

"I think it's against their contract. They've got a contract to play at Bluetongue Stadium, so if we can stop it we will,'' Singleton said.

"It will be nearer an empty stadium than full. It's an insult to the fans in Gosford, insult to every schoolkid there.

"No one from Gosford will go to Homebush. Apart from Cathy Freeman and the Olympics opening ceremony, it's been a ghost town.

"I can't think of anything dopier.''

Asked about the 83,000 crowd that packed Homebush for the LA Galaxy game, which included a sea of sky blue Sydney shirts, Singleton said: "That's David Beckham. It's like saying how good was that film with Jack Nicholson? Well, if you replace him with Billy Smith, it's not going to be the same film.''

But stadium chiefs are confident that the Mariners will draw a bumper crowd against Sydney.
ANZ Stadium chief executive Ken Edwards believes it will go up a few notches.

"They've quickly grown in stature and staging one of these derby games here will only make it even bigger,'' he said.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,23489931-5006068,00.html

f**k western sydney. that is not our clubs concern. i hope singo fights the good fight and keeps this match in gosford. i will be bitterly disspointed if the club is behind this and not the FFA as i would expect this from them. the focus should be selling out BT every week.

serious14

It is in the Telegraph, so take it with a grain of salt............ or seven.

BUT, if this does indeed prove to be true, this needs to be VEHEMENTLY protested by all and sundry, and if whoever is involved with this still goes through with it, then we boycott the game.  Simple.  They'd look mighty f*ckin' stupid with a 20 000 crowd without any Mariners fans, no??

They will NOT take our home games away from us for the benefit of ANZ F*cking Stadium, which quite frankly, looks rubbish with anything but a 75 000 plus crowd.  This is a shit-house move from all concerned.

*hopes to all that can be hoped to that this is nothing but the Telegraph making up shit on a Sunday*

Auburn Mariner

I am an unabashed Stadium Australia and Sydney Olympic Park fan (I chose to live where I do specifically because it is very close to Sydney Olympic Park), so I would disagree with the vociferous sentiment expressed above. The comment about a ghost town is rubbish, just Singo rhetoric.

I also reckon that people would actually travel to a one-off game at Stadium Australia, especially if the FFA got smart (yeah, right!!) and included public transport in the cost of a ticket.

BUT, but, why would we transfer a game against Bling FC away from our home fortress? I think Bling will be strong this year, so we need every advantage we can get. This includes playing all of our home games at Central Coast Stadium.

If they are going to take a Grand Final off us to accommodate more fans, OK, but NOT for a home and away fixture.

So, in summary, a strong NO to the venue switch, a big thumbs up for the Sydney Olympic Park precinct overall.

Roy Law

One of the biggest draw cards for a Mariners fan is the home game against Sydney and some moron thinks I am going to Homebush!!! Its an insult to all Mariners fans. I'll sent back my season ticket if this happens. Sounds as good a story as Dwight has signed for us.

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
marinerbhoy said:

By David Davutovic

this is bollocks, Davutovic drinks his own bathwater, he probably dreamed this shit up

marinermick

RECKY said:
marinerbhoy said:

By David Davutovic

this is bollocks, Davutovic drinks his own bathwater, he probably dreamed this shit up

davutovic is mates with lyall gorman and often gets scoops from the club

this is one of the most stupid ideas i have ever heard

Paolo

serious14 said:
It is in the Telegraph, so take it with a grain of salt............ or seven.

BUT, if this does indeed prove to be true, this needs to be VEHEMENTLY protested by all and sundry, and if whoever is involved with this still goes through with it, then we boycott the game.  Simple.  They'd look mighty f*ckin' stupid with a 20 000 crowd without any Mariners fans, no??

They will NOT take our home games away from us for the benefit of ANZ F*cking Stadium, which quite frankly, looks rubbish with anything but a 75 000 plus crowd.   This is a shit-house move from all concerned.

*hopes to all that can be hoped to that this is nothing but the Telegraph making up shit on a Sunday*
+1 f**k moving to homebush for the game, why give sydney any advantage for the sake of a few dollars.
Boycotts and protests!!

marinerbhoy

AM and serious summed up my thoughts really well. why is western sydney our concern for the community club of the central coast? its bling who should move the game to the homebush, more would be in it for them. CCMFC should keep their priorities right.

i would like to think i could boycott the game even though i live bout 35mins away, but i dont think i have the strength to. a massive insult to members who pay all game upfront to watch the team play at gosford

Mariner Girl

I am a Member of ANZ Stadium and live 20 mins away ANDwill not be going because of Principle.
Why on earth would you play in Sydney (anywhere) when it's your HOME GAME AGAINST SYDNEY FC

This is the biggest load of crap I've heard in a long time.  :vomit:

Bear

Horseshit. Ill go, simply because iv never missed a mariners HOME game, and wont start now, but I wont be f**king happy

dibo

it's about cash i reckon - homebush pay people to play there, so it's likely that the mariners may make quite a bit from taking a game there. may even make more than it costs to move the game from bluetongue.

ryan

An April Fool's joke a week too late? I can't see Lyall and the board giving the green light to this one.

midfielder

Who says its our home game, maybe Flying Choppers home game...............Hal 4,...........Two choppers games at Bluey.............and one at MP.  Maybe only one game and its the Choppers home game..........could be a good news story ..............

Our management has been smart and would not want to upset JS, nor coastie goodwill build up over three seasons.

P

Pete

Stupid idea. :fireup: :redcard:

The idea - the whole setup of the Mariners - and the granting of their FFA franchise, was to be a regional team, one that brings the game to the people in that area.

How the hell taking a major draw card home game from the heart and soul of the Mariners and transplanting it into Homebush is supposed to enhance the game on the Central Coast and bring people along to matches, is beyond me.

Let the people pushing for a team in the western Sydney area do their own promoting of the game to their people. Get Harry out here and have him pressing the flesh, and have the Marconi club or whoever is pushing this barrow front up and do the work themselves, ffs.  ::) :p

If, however, we can have Harry for a guest role over a month or so in contra for moving the game to Homebush, I may be tempted to say it's a good idea (so long as he's fit to play and the contract is for the number of games, not time spent here)  ;) ;D .

The Mariners should not be a f**kin puppet for the FFA's high ideals. If they want a game to promote to the people of western Sydney, then have Sydney drop one of its home games against us, Melbourne or Newcastle.

And I suppose everyone is expected to pay for their own way there and back for the f**kin privilege too eh, Ben?

Like Bearinator, I'll go but I won't be happy about it and may even fly a banner in protest at the stupidity of it.

Surely this must be some April Fool's Day joke...or someone snorting too much Columbian Marching Powder.

P

Pete

dibo said:
ryan said:
An April Fool's joke a week too late? I can't see Lyall and the board giving the green light to this one.

i'd guess it's their idea.

Don't care whose idea it is, it is f**king dumb.

Put it this way, if the FFA was looking at a Hunter regional team instead of a western Sydney team, would you like it if we had to all travel to Singleton, Maitland or Cessnock for a HOME game vs. Newcastle, just to 'promote the game' to the people in the Hunter?

How would Victory feel if they had to forgo a Home game at the Dome to play one out at Geelong or Ballarat if there was a push for another Victorian team being hyped about in the press?

Tell the f**ker Buckley that the Central Coast IS NOT, NEVER HAS BEEN, AND WILL NEVER BE a suburb of Sydney. And to ask our fans to go to Sydney to watch the Mariners play - particularly for a home game - is a ludicrous idea. Not to mention the insult such thoughtlessness has gone into the idea, by reminding those who 'do the commute' that the Central Coast is  - once again - totally irrelevant once money talks.

I'll gladly tell Gorman, Buckley or whoever thought of the silly f**king idea, that it is insulting to the folks here. It (the idea of moving home games to Sydney ) could do damage to the patronage of future Mariners games by folks who thought it was 'their' team, who feel they are really only paying 'mugs' to a circus - and then taking their patronage elsewhere. Hell, some folks may feel they would be better off following Manly in the NRL, and fantasising about the one season of the Beagles way back when...

GET THE IDEA OUT OF YOUR HEAD THAT MOVING MARINERS HOME GAMES TO SYDNEY IS GOING TO BE ACCEPTED BY THE FOLKS HERE.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred