• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

The Stajcic Era, a Partnership of desperates or a Marriage Made in Heaven?

MrCelery

Could go either way.

Wikipedia Bio:

Full name Alen Stajcic
Date of birth 2 November 1973 (age 45)
Place of birth Australia[1]
Playing position Midfielder
Senior career*
Years
Team Apps (Gls)
Mount Druitt Town 6 (0)
1994–1997 Bonnyrigg White Eagles 35 (2)
1998 Bankstown City Lions 13 (2)
2000 Western Sydney Passion ? (?)
2000–2002 Sutherland Sharks 38 (2)
Teams managed
2002–2004
NSW Sapphires
2008–2014 Sydney FC W-League
2014–2019 Australia (Matildas)
2019– Central Coast Mariners (caretaker)

I liked what he did with the Matildas. Reportedly a 'tough' coach with the Matildas, which is probably what we need. Untested at men's 'elite' level, although would be used to the pressure. Jumping from supposedly one toxic dysfunctional squad to another, so should feel right at home.

Pirate Pete

Sounded good in the presser, but then so did that other bloke we had.
At least this bloke has been following the A league & watching our games.
Seems very knowledgeable about us actually.

*I'm editing this after some people have agreed or liked the post.
Just to say I joke about football being more important than life or death.
However I don't really like comments like true believer's.

Last edited:

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
So if he gets the gig long term...is there any chance he knows a goal keeping coach with any brains
Also the wage thieves must be slightly worried ( Nash, Gameiro, Hoole, Pearce, Kennedy) they could lose their cushy jobs

Also I think Clisby, Painy and Tommy H must be f**king stoked that they are no longer Mulvians

Michael

Posted this in the squad thread before I noticed this one:

I joked that Staj would bring Kerr with him earlier, but I am happy here’s come in. But mostly bitter sweet.
The caretaker part is slightly annoying but I also understand it. The part I understand most is that he’s very comfortable working in a short amount of time with the Matilda’s. And he’s a proven high quality football coach and this is designed as an injection of life into the club. I’m not overly concerned that he’s never coached men. My biggest concerns are why only for the last 6 weeks? Was it his choice as he has bigger aspirations? Or if it was the clubs choice?, who are we waiting for to be available? Why not trust Staj as the permanent man? And what about the retention of our key players now? Who’s going to be making the moves there? Phelan? The bloke that has his mind firmly on Man Utd? Must definitely be waiting till the end of the season when they’ll all be signed up else where.

I believe we should be entrusting the man with the permanent gig. I mean, what other legitimate managers are available and likely?

Ancient Mariner

I will say now that it is a pretty safe bet that he will be here next year.

I think because next years coach is going to be so very important that the Club did not want to rush in to what could be a knee jerk reaction.
If he does a reasonable job of getting the team playing reasonable football and, apart from dealing with the idiots, has no major issues, I suspect the job will be his.

Realistically I doubt we could do better without spending a massive amount on someone like Merrick who would not want the job anyway.

Still being realistic, I imagine the only sort of coach we could hope for would be a brave but inexperienced current NPL coach or if you wanted Aleague experience, Bleiberg or Farina, and I would not like to see either of those two.

Fadetoblack944

Lets go! i am happy that we actually went out and got a decent coach as caretaker. apparently a hard nut with the matilda's. keen to seen the next game and to see what formation we will play

I’ve got no doubt he will be here next season.
The press conference was full of hope and future planning which you don’t put your hand up for on a 6 week basis in my opinion.
I think it’s a smart move all round in our current state

Josho Howe

If Staj produces something promising in these final games, l have no problem with him becoming full time. A hardnosed coach who will help us in this time of need.

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
An Uber Silverback Coach is exactly what we need now, none of this mates with the boys crap...more Arnie less Mulvey

turbo

I will say now that it is a pretty safe bet that he will be here next year.
This. Avoids what might be perceived as a knee jerk reaction and allows us to evaluate the fit, observe him and do due diligence. If there's an issue we thank him for his contribution and no one's feelings or reputation gets hurt, publicly anyway.

Big Al

I’m all for it. Strategically a good coach with hard nose tendencies. Exactly what we need.

This is offset by the risk of not coaching men. Football is still football but recruitment will still be difficult as has no men’s players to bring.

My other concern is i saw a matilda say see what happens when players play in their right positions when Matildas played Korea. A direct shot at Staj. However i saw a reply saying it was one tournament where he was trying things to add depth for the world cup so mightn’t have been a permanent thing. Still a worry.

Good luck Staj. Fck the FFA runs in the clubs blood and our coach so i see a marriage made in Gosford.

Last edited:

Big Al

As for the 6 weeks. That allows the club to finish the season and approach UK coaches when there season ends via Phelan.

However it also gives Staj a chance. Staj will be working with similar quality squad next season so if he shows he can work with tbem. Great you have the job. If more ridiculous defeats occur then we aren’t tied to him.

Perfect scenario considering the mess we are in

NoDiggity

From what I’ve read and heard, and I’m happy to be corrected on this, Staj was sacked after players approached FFA staff voicing concerns about some of his policies being seen as too strict. These included drinking bans, partners not being allowed to stay with players when touring, being pushed too hard at training. If this is true, this is exactly the coach we need at the Mariners. A hard nut that won’t take shit from players & hopefully will get the best out of them. As he said in his presser today, there is some talent in our squad, more than enough to not be getting thrashed 8-2 or only having 1 win of the season. Hopefully he’s not all talk like MM and we can see some positive play in the last few games

shipwreck

Yep, I'm f**king excited. Good luck trying to get a drinking culture going under this guys watch, he specifically got sacked because he wouldn't stand for it. Brilliant, you're professional soccer players, deal with it and enjoy doing a job most of us can only dream of.

Josho Howe

I don't understand the whole drinking alcohol thing when you're a professional athlete. I'm sure 1 or 2 beers are alright or a red with dinner but not going out and getting hammered every time you can. Being clean and healthy would only help your performance.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami