• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

The Stajcic Era, a Partnership of desperates or a Marriage Made in Heaven?

bikinigirl

. i do wonder whether anybody has told Staj it is OK to appoint a different captain

. i am sure he has heard plenty of the 'heart and soul' ... 'born and bred' ... 'links to the community' ... 'all-time leading goal scorer' ... 'local hero' rhetoric ... but has anybody actually said 'you appoint the captain, the best candidate for the season without having to consider the incumbent'

. as far as i know nobody has been 'appointed' captain for this season ... Simon has simply carried the title forward

turbo

i'm not trying to disagree with what you're saying but you haven't mentioned it was not a regular league game

I think that’s a big part of it. In a normal game I’m sure we would have seen some defensive subs after their goal and looked to spilt the points. Elimination match, down a man and quite possibly going in to extra time complicates things a bit. If we had a more attacking bench I would have been fine with throwing caution to the wind and pressing them hard but we don’t have the troops for that.

midfielder

+
. i do wonder whether anybody has told Staj it is OK to appoint a different captain

. i am sure he has heard plenty of the 'heart and soul' ... 'born and bred' ... 'links to the community' ... 'all-time leading goal scorer' ... 'local hero' rhetoric ... but has anybody actually said 'you appoint the captain, the best candidate for the season without having to consider the incumbent'

. as far as i know nobody has been 'appointed' captain for this season ... Simon has simply carried the title forward

+++++99999

FFC Mariner

If they don't trust Majok against AL opposition (and I don't blame anyone for that) it's a damning indictment on our recruiting team.
We were screaming out for an AL quality striker to replace Simon last season and they haven't solved the problem. Evidently Staj doesn't fancy Muzz either or is scared to drop Simon.
Either way it's a worrying sign.
Excuses like "we have tried" aren't acceptable.
Professionals get no prizes for trying.

pjennings

If they don't trust Majok against AL opposition (and I don't blame anyone for that) it's a damning indictment on our recruiting team.
We were screaming out for an AL quality striker to replace Simon last season and they haven't solved the problem. Evidently Staj doesn't fancy Muzz either or is scared to drop Simon.
Either way it's a worrying sign.
Excuses like "we have tried" aren't acceptable.
Professionals get no prizes for trying.

Or giving Simon the chance to prove him wrong. I will be very surprised if he is the starting team captain and would suggest he won't start in more than half the games. Majok actually reminds me of a younger Simon - all uncoordinated arms and legs.

Forum Phoenix

. i'm not trying to disagree with what you're saying but you haven't mentioned it was not a regular league game

. couple all those ifs/buts/maybes with 'if we hold on ... we head to extra-time & penalties' ... and the opportunity to re-strategise clearly to the team as a whole. it adds a complicating dimensions regardless of faith in the bench

. of course if (and despite the ridiculousness of it as pointed out be AM) Simon was substituted after his first yellow - which most of the crowd seems to have wanted - everything would have been different

. Simon takes more blame than Staj in my book ... he essentially ruined the team strategy ... more than once

Agree on Matty. I think he should have been hauled but it shouldn’t be unreasonable for a coach to think a striker can avoid getting himself a second yellow. It’s just that with Matty he was fired up, stakes were high, he’s at home, and he’s already been in several scraps... if you know him well you hook him I think. I bet Staj in a similar situation in the future, would now at the very least give him an earful about being very careful. He shouldn’t have to do it for the experienced captain... but there it is.

Re cup game etc. I don’t want to sound like I’m doubling down, because Im really not attached. But I think the parameters of the game all point towards making subs myself. Not a bad idea to hold one till full time if you want to make sure you can cover someone who says I’ve got to come off. But you’ve got to get there first. And you’re down to ten with still 20 mins (with ET) to play. And look at that lineup...

Murray, De Silva, Oar, Silvera...
you’ve got a very attacking geared midfield on the park who are nearly all looking cooked. And only Duric to screen, but he’s already put in a monster shift and is looking pretty clearly much more of an 8 than a 6.

Two defensive subs have to come in for mine. See if you can hold them at 1 nil, maybe jag one at a set piece, otherwise hold out as long as you can and get to penalties and roll the dice there.

Keeping 3 subs held so you can then respond once you go into extra time is at best a pretty optimistic / high risk proposition. At worst very naive.

But I don’t think Staj is naive, I think he’s a great coach. However I do think he got that one wrong and may well agree. He did say in the press soon after he’s learning a lot.

Last edited:

midfielder

Our game os pretty simple... score more goals than the other team... defence can play a huge part in reducing the number of goals you need to score to win...

But if you can't score you can't win...

Rowdy

Majok actually reminds me of a younger Simon - all uncoordinated arms and legs.
Long ago, I once referred to Simo as sometimes being like 'a baby giraffe on meth'. :cool:

Matty has evolved 'a little' since back then, to be more :

Big Al

I think Staj went with a similar strategy in our Roar game.

This time the variable was being down to ten men.

Did he use it as a lets see what they have under fatigue so i can use it as a teaching moment? Was it if they hold on this will build a lot of confidence? Was it hey Mat. You did this and the boys will be pissed at full time so don’t ever do it again?

We know he would have had some reasoning but I think he got it wrong. However a cup tie is different to regular season as extra time is involved and there is no “point” for a draw.

It was extremely interesting and a bad decision.

The team looks ok but I feel the better teams will cause a lot of trouble for our defence

Ironbark

Stajcic adds steel to the Mariners
A major focus of Stajcic’s rebuild of the Mariners centred around instilling a ferocious attitude to make his side tougher to beat.

And on the evidence of the opening round, the Gosford club are certainly on the right track.

No other side won more tackles (19) or more duels (75) than the Mariners in the opening round of the 2019/20 Season.

After winning their final home match of last season (3-1 against the Wanderers), the Mariners will hope that newfound resolve will help them register back-to-back wins in Gosford for the first time in four years.
https://www.a-league.com.au/news/stat-shows-stajcic-turning-mariners-around

Forum Phoenix

Stajcic adds steel to the Mariners
A major focus of Stajcic’s rebuild of the Mariners centred around instilling a ferocious attitude to make his side tougher to beat.

And on the evidence of the opening round, the Gosford club are certainly on the right track.

No other side won more tackles (19) or more duels (75) than the Mariners in the opening round of the 2019/20 Season.

After winning their final home match of last season (3-1 against the Wanderers), the Mariners will hope that newfound resolve will help them register back-to-back wins in Gosford for the first time in four years.
https://www.a-league.com.au/news/stat-shows-stajcic-turning-mariners-around

Good stuff. Though still hurts we couldn't convert one of the best performances of the round into even a point. Back to back wins at home would be golden though.

onto it

Yeah. They clearly don’t want to touch the actual issue, just the protocols after something allegedly happens.
It reads to me like the lezzies have ganged up on him because he wouldn't let their girlfriends in camp - something that would be a total recipe for disaster. FFA wouldn't back Staj because the women's game is the providing the growth in Australia. Gallop is too gutless and lacking the skillset to sort the issues, instead he is covering them up in his usual pussy political self serving manner.

turbo

because he wouldn't let their girlfriends in camp
Rumour at the time was the girlfriends were other players in the squad but they weren’t allowed to share rooms. Dating within the dressing rooms with the way the Matilda’s operate more like a club seems like a recipe for disaster to me.

onto it

Rumour at the time was the girlfriends were other players in the squad but they weren’t allowed to share rooms. Dating within the dressing rooms with the way the Matilda’s operate more like a club seems like a recipe for disaster to me.
Absolutely.
I think Staj has done well to remain the tight lipped gentleman with regard to the whole episode.

LFCMariners

Based on form so far and the form of teams around us, I think CCM can finish just inside the playoffs or between 7th and 9th. The Roar and Jest are both worse sides, just a shame one of those sides is a team CCM can't seem to beat unless its' in pre-season matches or knockout cup games.

Against WSW in the season opener and the Jest at home they could've picked up a draw and a win respectively with a different interpretation of the rules. Against the Roar a 7 minute lapse cost them the game, and against Perth last week (at the risk of sounding like Ty from AFTV), it could've been a draw had some of those goal attempts been just a little more precise. Perth were the better side, but not a 3 goals better side. The Nix were at home and have been in great form over the past month or so, and again could've well been another win if not for twice hitting the post.

The defence is much better than what it was 12 months ago, and morale looks to be reasonably good compared to under the past couple of managers. They've hung on for the win against WU, Perth and Adelaide which indicates its' perhaps not a fluke and more a testament to the grit of this squad. Clearly lacking is goal scoring ability up front though. As it stands, CCM are resourceful enough to scrape out a win or draw against high ranked teams, but don't yet have the firepower to do the 2012/13 style demolition jobs on poorly organised sides.

onto it

Apparently, Staj is onto this. Perhaps not this season though. He is a man to do things one or two steps at a time only.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami