• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

The Spanish football thread

David Votoupal

This warrants its own thread, anything related to Spanish football here :)

The gap between Barcelona and Real Madrid is 6 points now, with Real winning 5-2 at Athletic Bilbao who were reduced to 9 men.

Meanwhile, Valencia are known to be deep in the brown stuff financially, with the distinct possibility that star players will have to be sold to balance the books :-\

Kareem

Hala Madrid!
Good news about Valencia :p...we should be able to get Villa (although I would rather Karim Benzema). He would be wroth a cool 40 mill...surely helpful to their financial needs!
Barca will win title :(

jarrad

Barca won the la liga in the first 10 weeks imo.
Madrid were always going to be chasing a lost cause.

tuftman

I follow Valencia is La Liga as well, and its sad to see them a mere shadow of the club they where at the turn of the century. Some reports have them several hundred million in debt. It'd be sad to see their squa broken up, there is a lot of talent there

Paolo

Athletic Bilbao as they are the closest thing to a local side in a top league in that they only sign players from one of the seven Basque provinces and well know for their cantera policy of bring young basque players through their ranks and signing other well known Basque players.

Arabmariner

David Votoupal said:
hardest (and most thuggish) defenders in Spanish football too.
Ah but none could match the Atletico Madrid team that played Celtic in the European cup semi final in 1974.

Mind you the biggest thugs in that team were Argentines and so was the coach responsible for them.

David Votoupal

Arabmariner said:
David Votoupal said:
Ah but none could match the Atletico Madrid team that played Celtic in the European cup semi final in 1974.

Mind you the biggest thugs in that team were Argentines and so was the coach responsible for them.

The same coach behind "that" Estudiantes side, no less.

But Javier Clemente's Athletic Bilbao were the most aggressive side in Spain, although Osasuna also have the battlers too.

Spain and the Spanish-speaking Americas produce exquisite ball players and abrasive, combative bruisers in about equal measure.

Arabmariner

David Votoupal said:
Arabmariner said:
David Votoupal said:

I didn't know that.

But I do know that Juan Carlos Lorenzo was also coach of the infamous Argentine side of 1966 that Alf Ramsey labelled "animals" and was also coach of Lazio whose players he incited to attack Arsenal in a dark street after a uefa cup tie.

He hated the british aparently.

Azza-Mataz

Arabmariner said:
David Votoupal said:
Arabmariner said:
David Votoupal said:

I didn't know that.

But I do know that Juan Carlos Lorenzo was also coach of the infamous Argentine side of 1966 that Alf Ramsey labelled "animals" and was also coach of Lazio whose players he incited to attack Arsenal in a dark street after a uefa cup tie.

fwiw i would've attacked Arsenal too!  i hate londeners!

David Votoupal

Arabmariner said:
David Votoupal said:
Arabmariner said:
David Votoupal said:

I didn't know that.

I may have mistaken Lorenzo for someone else (sorry if I did), but then again Estudiantes was cut from the same cloth.

Argentina could never get near a World Cup in those days. Menotti changed all that by changing their approach. The 70s was probably the high point for club football in Argentina, although it was (and is) still heavily dominated by four cities.

Menotti was, I believe, also the first victim of Jesus Gil at Atletico Madrid.

Arabmariner

David Votoupal said:
Arabmariner said:
David Votoupal said:
Arabmariner said:
David Votoupal said:

I didn't know that.

I may have mistaken Lorenzo for someone else (sorry if I did), but then again Estudiantes was cut from the same cloth.

Argentina could never get near a World Cup in those days. Menotti changed all that by changing their approach. The 70s was probably the high point for club football in Argentina, although it was (and is) still heavily dominated by four cities.

Menotti was, I believe, also the first victim of Jesus Gil at Atletico Madrid.
Estudiantes kicked Man U and George Best in particular to bits and the year before Racing Club did the same to Celtic.

There was a time when the world club championship was nearly cancelled altogether because of the thugs from South America.I'm pretty sure a couple of times the European Cup runners up played instead because the winners refused to play.Ajax maybe ?

Unbelievable really because they always had players with superb skills so there was no need for it.

That Atletico Madrid side that went to Glasgow in '74 was a hand picked team of hatchet men sent to get a nil all draw by any means possible.Back in Spain they played their proper team and were actually a great side.Jock Stein said later that Atletico were a good side who had succeeded in turning the game into a one legged cup tie on their turf.

Back then the refereeing was so piss weak that ball players like Best and Jimmy Johnstone were more likely to get sent off for retaliation than the thugs commiting all the fouls.

Imagine those teams nowadays with all the games on TV and all the camera angles etc!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred