• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

The John Hutchinson appreciation thread

dibo

John Hutchinson doesn’t care what the doubters say, the Mariners will prove people wrong again
  • TOM SMITHIES
  • THE DAILY TELEGRAPH
  • OCTOBER 10, 2014 10:26PM
John Hutchinson entering 10th season with Mariners
external

ANOTHER year, another consensus that the Mariners will struggle, that too many players have gone. “But one thing just doesn’t change,” says John Hutchinson, club captain and elder statesman. “The culture.”

If this seems like a theme that’s pervaded every campaign before, that’s for a good reason. It’s the one constant as personnel changes and the guts are periodically removed from the club.

As the Mariners kick off on Friday against Newcastle, it’s the reason why Hutchinson simply will not budge in his belief that his team will be challengers, not deadbeats.

You get the impression that if you crossed Hutchinson he’d make a ferocious enemy. In footballing terms Marcos Flores will probably find that out in the F3 derby.

But inside the camp, if you’re one of “us”, then the brotherhood is almost Masonic.

“It’s not like we put shackles on people, it’s more the love and care they get from the other players,” said Hutchinson. “I know other teams say they’re mates but we actually care here.

“I care about what the young guys are doing – you give them options, and sometimes they make mistakes and you have to be there to pick the pieces up.

“We’ve all been young, we’ve all done stuff. But it’s part of the process here, when I say we’re mates we’re actually mates. I believe that no one should have to look after our team, we look after ourselves. Now we’re trying to bring in this thing after games where we clean the changing rooms before we leave.

“The whole team is fined if rubbish gets left on the floor. Someone won’t blame someone else, they’ll pick it up and deal with it.”

The result, he is proud to note, is individuals who are quality human beings as well as footballers.

“Look at someone like [Socceroo goalkeeper and former Mariner] Maty Ryan – polite, humble, and I think that’s how I think most of the boys are who leave here,” he said. “He’s the kind of lad you’d want your own son to be.”

One of the changes brought in by Phil Moss to reinforce that culture has been a numbered peg for each player in the dressing room – with a list of that number’s previous holders above it. Only his peg carries just the single name, as he enters a 10th season at the club. Only once, he says, did leaving ever cross his mind.

997261-6cdd6b12-5025-11e4-852c-a6aaa2413bba.jpg

Central Coast Mariners captain John Hutchinson at Terrigal Beach.

“I did when Arnie wanted to get rid of me,” he said of the arrival of former coach Graham Arnold in 2010. “When he first arrived I was taking up a bit of a wage bill and for about two days I contemplated leaving.

“Arnie had offered me money to leave and set up two clubs for me. I told him I didn’t want to go, I’d stick it out and fight. You get offered deals elsewhere and more money elsewhere, but I don’t know why I’d leave.

“My family’s happy, we’ve bought a house in Terrigal – probably the most beautiful place in the world.

“Every year we get written off, but the belief in the changing room … as long as you’ve everyone inside that circle fighting for the same purpose, you can bring any individual in.

“I talk to the boys about mateship – it doesn’t have to mean spending time together off the field, but once you put that jersey on, you fight for your teammate.

“Your teammate comes first, you come second. I don’t care who makes a mistake, you cover for them. That’s proved over the years to work for us. Always the team is first.”

dibo

Think about the time when Arnie would have tried to move him on - that would have been the start of 2010/11. Arnie sent him off to China on loan and replaced him with Rostyn Griffiths, and when he came back he fought his way back into the team and proved the doubters wrong and since then we've been runner up in league and championship; Premiers and preliminary finalists; runner up and Champion; 3rd place and preliminary finalists.

For as long as we've existed, he's been a Mariner. He's done all the jobs - he's played everywhere from striker to centre back, he's done what had to be done.

The beating heart of our club.

Forever loyal - Semper Fidelis.

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
I have to say Hutcho has irked me on occasion, but his the cement of the joint and his love of the coast is undeniable

midfielder

He is a true clubman and remember he came from the Northern Spirit so you could argue its longer...

Hutch brings that no dickhead role to the club and new players ... he is a valuable part of the squad ...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred