• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

The football Wars

midfielder

Very good read by Richard in the smh today, on the Football Code war in western Sydney and Australian generally, he takes no sides but belives the World Cup bid has been the match that lit the fuse.

It will be interesting but Football I think has more than the NRL worried the AFL to.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/forces-gather-for-battle-to-win-the-west/2008/02/29/1204226993073.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Forces gather for battle to win the west

March 1, 2008

HINDSIGHT

IN CASE you spend more time with your nose in the sports section than The Monthly or Quadrant, the so-called culture wars are over. The Cultural Elite Soyaccinos came from behind to beat Balmain Riesling Right with Kevin Rudds buzzer-beating apology.

But just because we have reached general consensus on things such as reconciliation (good), global warming (not good) and industrial policies that reduce workers salaries and conditions (also not good), it is not peace in our time.

Stand by for an even bloodier battle in which entrenched prejudices, distorted versions of history and appeals to the best and worst instincts of Australians will again be common. And this time, instead of skirmishing over an asparagus ravioli with a drizzle of truffle oil, youll be lucky to get a decent pie and chips.

Goodbye culture wars, hello footy wars. And we dont mean the innocuous shadow-boxing in which the four competing codes have engaged over the past two decades, where they would apologetically plonk a franchise in rival territory, hand out freebies to impressionable kiddies like missionaries distributing bibles to illiterate tribesmen, or compete in intellectually bankrupt Aerial Ping-Pongers versus No Necks versus Wogballers debates.

With the Australian Football League stating its intention to accelerate its move into western Sydney and the Gold Coast, and Football Federation Australia enlisting government support for a World Cup bid while expanding the A-League, the Cold War-style division of territory is about to be replaced by hand-to-hand combat.

As the strategic moves in the war rooms of the AFL and FFA escalate tensions, revealing has been the slightly panicked reaction of rugby league diehards at the prospect of the AFL - and, inevitably, the A-League - marshalling forces on the western front.

The Heralds Roy Masters, one of the few experts intimately acquainted with the machinations of both the NRL and AFL, described the AFL push into western Sydney as misplaced imperialism - a sentiment that seemed somewhat unusual given he was, at the time, on assignment with the Melbourne Storm.

Meanwhile, a throwaway line by that sabre-rattling AFL nationalist Ron Barassi that Sydney could one day host four teams prompted predictable Churchillian cant from league dial-a-quotes about how the west would never buckle under the AFLs blitzkrieg. Well fight them in the bleachers. That sort of thing.

But, despite those stirring words, you detect some frayed nerves among league supporters. Not because of the strength of the AFLs multimillion-dollar push, but because they fear their own forces are not yet up for the fight.

The NRLs hesitancy in expanding its borders and the feudal nature of some traditional heartland clubs - highlighted by the Bulldogs recent in-fighting - could make the game more vulnerable than some of its sword carriers would like to believe.

The response of NRL supporters and media propagandists - if not the NRL executive - to a potential invasion of the west is a heavy reliance on stubborn, Soviet-style resistance from a large, fanatical band of hard-core westies.

But while they prepare for the Siege of Parramatta, the invaders are already jumping the trenches and infiltrating the population.

Meanwhile, the AFL has moved on to war footing because the game that grandiosely appropriates the title football has made a pact with the Federal Government to bid for the 2018 World Cup.

Until recently Hans Blix would have found only a bunch of unpaid invoices for the relative firecracker that is the A-League in the FFA bunker. But, in Rudds patronage, the FFA now possesses a potential weapon of mass persuasion. A chance to sidle up to the Government and, while they are at it, slip a hand in the pocket and grab the funds needed to compete in an escalating arms race.

At the same time, the FFA maintains the handy facade of neutrality.

With the summer A-League not competing head to head with other codes and the World Cup impervious to criticism as a matter of national interest, it can pretend to be Switzerland as it secretly masses its forces.

The first casualty of war seems to be the Australian Rugby Union which, after recent cuts in government funding, has been left looking as impotent as the Japanese post-disarmament. It does not help that, in a nuclear age, its former generals were still fighting the Boer War. (Or, judging by some Super 14 games, the Bore War.)

Even for a death-or-glory general such as Stormin John ONeill, it could already be a matter of damage limitation as everyone goes over the top.

P

Pete

The Govt. handouts were cut from the other codes, not from the FFA's proposals. On the face of it, you'd think there was some sort of favouritism.

But looking deeper at each code's proposals, some of the others proposed grandiose self embellishments while the FFA's was more grassroots and developing. I'd rather have a developing Youth League than some Hall of Fame anyday.

Jesus

Jesus
Youth sports, in reality, is where the govt's major funding should go. The fact is football has much bigger numbers there, then afl i believe.

Funding to the top levels should only be as a "get people ineterested in sport, fitter, and save hospital dollars".

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
Now dont get me wrong here...I do a have a soft spot for the EELS ( just near me right elbow) BUT at least as far as the East Coast is concerned  the NRL best batten down the hatches cause Football and the AFL are coming in for the kill.....they, the NRL,  for years have been blowing smoke up everyones wazoo claiming to be "simply the best" BOLLOCKS...they cant even get a decent international series happening with the two other countries on the planet that paddock wrestle too.....Now to the AFL I enjoy the games against the irish in the mixed rules series but fella's it aint no world cup now is it??? Hell i even watch the Swannies go round occasionally.

I did a smidge of looking around and I came up with this.... NRL crowds = falling(rapid) AFL= crowds up slightly
HAL crowds = through the f'n roof baby.....

too the NRL and AFL if that dont tell ya something boys ya must f'n blind, deaf, dumb , stupid and pig ignorant
(but thats just what i think)

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :vhappy:

midfielder

Further to the Richard Hinds article regarding the football wars, I have posted two further links below.

The first is over 6 pages from the hardest of hard AFL rusted on jurno but  it does contain a lot of detailed analysis about all codes and it is but a sample of the Melbourne media and their push to expand AFL, Its worth looking at for no other reason than to see how hard core they are and what we as football supporters should be aware of it and are up against. Suggest read after (assuming you do as I said six pages long) after the next bit about ratings agian written by a RL guy but the crikey link is worth a look for those into analysis

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/footy-codes-go-to-war/2008/02/29/1204226995213.html

The second is from a site I use and is a good analysis of were people live and media numbers. For me it explained why Frank Lowy  is pushing into the regional market of NSW & OLD and is more fixed on expanding in NSW & QLD (Frank is very clever)

On the value of TV rights you might be interested in this article from Crikey. Heres an extract:

http://www.crikey.com.au/Media-Arts-and-Sports/20080218-Not-so-fast-AFL-Who-will-pay-for-this-northen-expansion.html
The AFL cant delivery the ratings and revenues in those markets that the NRL does on Friday nights, or Sunday afternoons for that matter. The Seven Network won Friday nights in Sydney and Brisbane last winter on a regular basis by not showing AFL games and programming non-sport entertainment. If the AFL and its coterie of football writers in Melbourne cant understand that, then the second Sydney team has no hope.

Like it or not Sydney and Brisbane (and the regional areas along the coast north of Sydney) are now the biggest TV markets in the country (Brisbane is the fastest growing). Sydney alone generates 37% of commercial TV revenue in the country. Melbourne accounts for around 25%. Brisbane is almost 18%. That makes Sydney and Brisbane responsible for around 55% of TV ad revenues in metro markets. If you add in the regional areas, the share is even bigger.

The two states are NRL strongholds. Soccer cant reach these markets because its exclusively on Fox Sports for the next five years. Rugby Union is struggling and the AFL just battles to make any headway with viewers. Advertisers do not want to know about AFL in these markets on Friday nights and Sunday afternoons.

Thats why claims by Caroline Wilson in the weekend Fairfax papers that a new team in Sydney would be seen on TV every Friday night is hot air. Ten wont screen non-Swans games live in Sydney on Saturday nights, preferring to show them on delay from 10.30pm onwards. Seven shows the Friday night AFL games late in the evening. They are not in the business of losing revenue for the benefit of the AFL

BTW the TV audience in Sydney for the Swans when they won the AFL GFin 2005 was nearly a million. The following year when they were beaten in the GF the TV audience was a little over 700,000. In 2006 it was 320,000 or about the same as it was in 2004.

Brisbanes highest AFL GF audience 592,000 was in 2003 when they won their third straight GF. Last year it was 270,000. In the A-League Sydney & Brisbane played the week before the GF & the audience was only 151,000 (these figures include the regional numbers). Thats a long way off SOO RL numbers.
here are a couple of interesting sites:

TV audiences
http://www.thinktv.com.au/SiteMedia/w3svc371/Uploads/Documents/ceb4c187-38aa-40d8-ad70-016361a65a7d.pdf
AFL up-north
http://www.rl1908.com/blog/afl-1800s.htm

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred