• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

The Angels live at Narara

Arabmariner

Sean Francis Lacy said:
any other reading headliners I would be jealous about?
Stone Roses? Iggy Pop?
Got the programmes here from '77......headliners Golden Earring, Thin Lizzy & Sensatinal Alex Harvey Band

'78.........The Jam,Status Quo & Patti Smith

'81.......Girlschool,Gillan & The Kinks

'82.......Budgie,Iron Maiden & Michael Schenker Group(MSG)

'83......I already mentioned.

Just noticed in the '82 programme "The Angels" way down the bill (2nd band on in the afternoon)
and Rose Tattoo in '81 (mid-bill)......Don't remember seeing the Angels,we were never in that early but I remember Rose Tattoo who were excellent.

Edit:Reading the programme realised it's not the same "The Angels".......it's some pommy band with the same name.

yellowcake

Maybe a loose extension of the thread topic but here's a review of some of our finest including the Angels, which I had the good fortune to see this week, from another board I'm on.

It goes on a bit so if you're not a fan of Aussie rock, best move along...

Got along to see Australian Monsters of Rock at the Enmore Theatre on Anzac Day: Rose Tattoo, The Screaming Jets, The Angels (apologies to the opening act, The Vandolls and their fans, only made it in minutes before the Tatts - meaning dinner was a packet of chips and 2 VBs before a late gelato on King St).

I think all 3 bands saw this as being a big show and lifted for the night.

The Tatts as well as being tight, hard and loud (as one would expect), unexpectedly threw in the Anzac day trilogy of Death or Glory, (the superb...) I Wish and 1854, the first 2 being from the 1984 Southern Stars album which I have not heard anything played live from since... 1984. The latter being a standout from 2007's Blood Brothers. The rest included (very nicely) the gammut of being One Of The Black-eyed Scarred Bad Rock And Roll Boys For Outlaw Love who Can't Be Beaten. Conspicuous absences were probably Nice Boys, Remedy and Astra Wally but if they were forgone for the 3 above, fair call in my book.

Oh, and Mick Cocks' illness saw rockin' Rob Riley back in the band and sharing slide duties with newcomer Dai Pritchard.

Next up, the Jets. Dave Gleeson geniunely "humbled to be sandwiched between these 2 great bands" and as usual promoting Aussie Pub Rock to the hilt. Dave lifted by spending more time dropping himself to the floor from a great height than I've seen for a while. They also tributed the Anzacs in their own way with Blue Sashes ("Gonna be no more f**king around, we're gonna get them commies and mow 'em all down"). Did their staples and a very fine blusey Shine On. Mary Jane and the title track of their new Do-Ya show there not planning to go away yet (hopefully the CD buying / MP3 downloading, gig-going public see it the same way).

The Angels. Good show (and it's so good to see the real Angels back, although Doc's health still seems to be a bit of a struggle). They were certainly set a challenge by the lifted performance of the bands before them and probably represented themselves adequately without excelling. All the favourite songs and sing-a-longs were there, mainly from the early period (I'd love it if they were brave enough to try a tune or two from the late 90's Skin And Bone album).

(Only) they got to do a 2-song encore. I thought Can't Shake It was an interesting finisher, but was great.

So, well worth it. Great Aussie rock. The term 'Rock Royalty' was used in the promos but you can't forget Cold Chisel, INXS and maybe Midnight Oil before talking like that.

Music is all about varied taste and individual opinion, but mine is that Baby Animals, who I saw at The Metro 4 days before, was a still a performance ahead of these other great Aussie bands. I'm convinced that on that occasion I saw the best chick-singer-led hard rock band in the world. I mean ever. Suze was just on fire and Dave Leslie was deservedly paid the most genuine respect on stage by (Suze's husband) Nuno Bettencourt, as he made a guest appearance - and Nuno was himself spectacular. Hope the wheels stay attached for a new album and future tours.

Jolly_Roger

check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFdX6OeXlzU

you can still find bits and pieces on youtube of the narara festivals. I believe there were two narara rock festivals. They occured well before the "Big Day Out" became fashionable.

Do you older guys remember the old triple m adds? One appears at the start of this.

~Floss~

Jolly_Roger said:
Do you older guys remember the old triple m adds? One appears at the start of this.

I do remember seeing Phil Emanuel's band "Kakadu" play the old MMM theme as part of their set at the Settler's West Gosford... but i don't consider myself one of the "older guys" (I was well under-age at the time)

Wombat

Would have loved to have gone but hadn't even acknowledged the existence of Australia back then.
My Aussie wife went as a schoolgirl and reckons it was fantastic. She also confirmed it was Kariong/Somersby not Narara.

Wombat

Recky....that was excellent. I felt like I was there bro!!!!

I've seen Jimmy a few times but never chisels.....that's a regret.
Seen Divinals.....that lady was so incredibly sexy while not being very attractive......that's unusual and she could rock the stage.
Seen Mentals and Seen the Angels and didn't get the adoration but the fans loved them above all others. Midnight Oil was another one that left me disappointed. My wife thinks I'm a spastic and that the Angels are the best ever.
Aussie crawl were decent.
I also saw the Hunters at dodgy Beenleigh tavern in Brissy. Pretty solid although better in the studio than live.
Probably seen many great Aussies bands that I can't remember. Especially blues bands.
I remember being blown away by Paul Kelly supporting Queen. He sang...."took the children away" and it took my breath away. I'd only been here a few weeks so knew nothing about any Australian history but the song was so raw and his talent so sparkling.

Wombat

Got the programmes here from '77......headliners Golden Earring, Thin Lizzy & Sensatinal Alex Harvey Band

'78.........The Jam,Status Quo & Patti Smith

'81.......Girlschool,Gillan & The Kinks

'82.......Budgie,Iron Maiden & Michael Schenker Group(MSG)

'83......I already mentioned.

Just noticed in the '82 programme "The Angels" way down the bill (2nd band on in the afternoon)
and Rose Tattoo in '81 (mid-bill)......Don't remember seeing the Angels,we were never in that early but I remember Rose Tattoo who were excellent.

Edit:Reading the programme realised it's not the same "The Angels".......it's some pommy band with the same name.

Was lucky enough to be at a Girlschool gig when Lemmy came on stage and played half a set with them. Brilliant stuff.

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
Recky....that was excellent. I felt like I was there bro!!!!

I've seen Jimmy a few times but never chisels.....that's a regret.
Seen Divinals.....that lady was so incredibly sexy while not being very attractive......that's unusual and she could rock the stage.
Seen Mentals and Seen the Angels and didn't get the adoration but the fans loved them above all others. Midnight Oil was another one that left me disappointed. My wife thinks I'm a spastic and that the Angels are the best ever.
Aussie crawl were decent.
I also saw the Hunters at dodgy Beenleigh tavern in Brissy. Pretty solid although better in the studio than live.
Probably seen many great Aussies bands that I can't remember. Especially blues bands.
I remember being blown away by Paul Kelly supporting Queen. He sang...."took the children away" and it took my breath away. I'd only been here a few weeks so knew nothing about any Australian history but the song was so raw and his talent so sparkling.

how the f**k did you get out of the Beenleigh tavern intact ?...what thunderous chunder pit that joint was

Wombat

Haha,
New Years Eve.
The bouncers were bikies!........only in America or QLD.
I even managed to have a piss and vomit at the same time in front of the bouncers, they were impressed but my girlfiend wasnt!
The place was rough as guts but I was a wee bit on the wild side myself at that age so used to survive those dives in tact some how.
I still found places like Qld and Country NSW a real eye opener!!

I remember on the same trip being in a dingy Pool hall in Brissy with 3 other Poms and an Aussie cousin. All was sweet until bogans we were playing against started being a bit racist. I couldnt care but suddenly the call to arms went up. Beers were put down and pools cues picked up.....full on stand off for a few seconds and the numbers didnt look great but all the lads were a handful .....then they backed down and calm was restored.
I remember thinking QLD was the wild west in those days.

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
Haha,
New Years Eve.
The bouncers were bikies!........only in America or QLD.
I even managed to have a piss and vomit at the same time in front of the bouncers, they were impressed but my girlfiend wasnt!
The place was rough as guts but I was a wee bit on the wild side myself at that age so used to survive those dives in tact some how.
I still found places like Qld and Country NSW a real eye opener!!

I remember on the same trip being in a dingy Pool hall in Brissy with 3 other Poms and an Aussie cousin. All was sweet until bogans we were playing against started being a bit racist. I couldnt care but suddenly the call to arms went up. Beers were put down and pools cues picked up.....full on stand off for a few seconds and the numbers didnt look great but all the lads were a handful .....then they backed down and calm was restored.
I remember thinking QLD was the wild west in those days.
Fkn still is in place like twoomba and nala

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami