• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

TENNIS Hooligans thread

P

Pete

On the subject of football people in media, how good is it that CoastFM is getting some of the Mariners players who arent' in the matchday squad to get some airtime and practice the 'art' of diplomatic commentary. They've had Brad Porter on a fair bit of late, and I think they tried to get Greg Owens on last week but it didn't happen at the last moment.

Exposure to the media from the other side of the mike is the start, then maybe some appearances and articles/columns.

C

curious

Dude, don't even bother if you're going to use that argument - this makes you more of a pundit/expert/more worthy to comment on football than me or anyone else on here who is under 25 because............................ why exactly??
This particular subject, not football in general, dude. Why? Because as an adult Iv'e seen (and anyone else that was able) what football in this country has gone through. How low it got in the past, the corruption & incompetence at club & governing body level, the violent behaviour of fans & the culture of refusal to move into the modern world of sports management & accountability. Which btw, is the reason the press, media & interested parties still keep such a close critical eye on it.

I don't worry about criticism, as football could just as easily slip back into bad habits of the past as the culture & many of it's pupils have not as yet been removed & we need to keep a critical eye wide open. Unwarranted criticism by some numbnuts, I give no more credence than to  those that spend a life time denigrating other sports.

I tend to worry more about those inside football that could hurt it much more than any outside influence.

marinermick

Pete said:
On the subject of football people in media, how good is it that CoastFM is getting some of the Mariners players who arent' in the matchday squad to get some airtime and practice the 'art' of diplomatic commentary. They've had Brad Porter on a fair bit of late, and I think they tried to get Greg Owens on last week but it didn't happen at the last moment.

Exposure to the media from the other side of the mike is the start, then maybe some appearances and articles/columns.

brad has been keen to get involved and we have given him as much opportunity as possible

we had owens lined but then the players were instructed to visit the corporate boxes at halftime

SNOWMARINER

I agree. Tennis should be banned just because it is such a f**king boring game. I read a BS article in the Telegraph that claimed it was the most popular sport in the country. Where the f**k did they do that survey. At the Australian Open? Christ, the game even makes cricket look good and that's saying something.

I hope there's a full scale race war at the tennis next year. It's all good.

adz

Staff member
Those tennis hooligans... they just can't help themselves can they!

http://www.news.com.au/national/croatian-mob-punches-spits-on-photographer-at-australian-open/story-e6frfkvr-1225820853272

Croatian mob punches, spits on photographer at Australian Open

AN UNRULY mob of Croatian fans set a sinister tone on the first day of the 2010 Australian Open in Melbourne.

The Herald Sun reports about 60 aggressive and chanting supporters in Croatia's chequered colours lit flares and made offensive and threatening gestures as they marched en masse to Melbourne Park, scattering other shocked spectators in their way.

In a display that left onlookers disgusted, Herald Sun photographer Craig Borrow was spat on and punched as he photographed the chanting mob.

Security staff were waiting at the front gates to search them for contraband amid strict new measures for the tennis.

But some of the fans tried to dodge security by running up the stairs while others buried themselves in their their hoodies to hide their faces as they arrived.

It was an disappointing start to the two-week tournament for organisers after the feel-good flavour of Sunday's charity exhibition match to raise money for victims of the earthqauake in Haiti.

The behaviour of some fans yesterday - before the first ball had been hit - was a disturbing signal that more of the racial tensions and trouble that have marred the international grand slam event in recent years could be on the cards.

Last year, opposing Bosnian and Serbian fans sent chairs hurtling during a sudden fracas in front of stunned families enjoying the sunshine in Garden Square last year.

Tennis Australia has put fans on notice that they will be expelled from Melbourne Park if they play up, and have separated families and partygoers at the centre.

Read more about the Australian Open hoodlums at the Herald Sun

LFCMariners

In Australia, you could claim there is an 'agenda' against every code bar Rugby and the AFL. Rugby doesn't capture the imagination of the general public enough, and the AFL has the media (for the most part) in its' pocket.

LFCMariners

serious14 said:
curious said:
I just got told to wake up by someone that wasn't born when I'd seen 25 years of football :yellowcard:

Dude, don't even bother if you're going to use that argument - this makes you more of a pundit/expert/more worthy to comment on football than me or anyone else on here who is under 25 because............................ why exactly??  I could say "I went to the Asian Cup so I'm more qualified to talk about all matters AFC", but I won't, because it's not true.  Quality over quantity my friend.

The reason such things seem strange to those bought up on European football/lived in Europe/whatever you wanna call it, is that we are one of the few countries in the world that is in the situation we are in with regards to its sports market - FOUR main sports all competing for the _relatively_ small amount of corporate dollar, fans attention, and all the rest that is there to be thrown around, as well as a host of "minor" sports (your NBL's and such).  Is it really so hard to believe that agencies (media and otherwise) with vested interests in these other sports that aren't ours would feel threatened by the growth and popularity of the A-League??  I mean, the Mariners have a better season average than 6 or so NRL clubs, and they've been around for 100 years!!!!    Even though football has been in this country since whenever, the A-League is considered by these types as the new boy on the block who should wait their turn.

Australia is a unique sporting market Curious, we need to remember that and not just write anyone off who wears a tin foil hat.  And yes, I'm pessimistic sometimes, but I'm much more optimistic now than I was a few years ago......... I'm as stunned as anyone by the success of the A-League, and now it's a lot easier to laugh at these media types (Fitzsimons, Noone, that Tom Head idiot from the Adelaide Advertiser, the whole of the Herald Sun) because they are the last of a dying breed.  Give it 10 years and watch what happens when we have football people in the positions they deserve to be.  Every media outlet in the country will have someone as good to football and as unbiased as Michael Lynch (and Cockerill to a degree).

Which ones? In the most recent season (NRL) the lowest crowd average was 10k.

LFCMariners

Ah yes. The good old days of Mariners home games, that I alluded to in another thread.

Still relevant though- WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO ABOUT THESE F**KING TENNIS HOOLIGANS OMG!!!!????

Paolo

Well tbh, these 'tennis hooligans' are actually football hooligans.....unless they are actually tennis hooligans who only attend Melbourne Croatia games in the off season of the tennis ;)

Paolo

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/tennis/racist-goons-doing-nazi-salutes-bring-shame-on-melbourne-on-first-day-of-australian-open/story-fn4oejln-1225821002409
A CROATIAN leader says media coverage of nazi-saluting Croat tennis thugs is just vilification of her community.

Australia Croatia Community Services committee member Linda Paric, speaking on radio this morning, blamed the media for portraying Croatians as troublemakers, despite the fact photographs clearly show the Croatian colours on many of the supporters.

Her comments have sparked fierce debate among heraldsun.com.au readers, with many slamming Ms Paric's view of the issue, claiming she is denial.

"Linda Paric is living in complete denial," wrote Tracie of Geelong. "Fact is, people dressed in Croatian supporters' colours etc were caught red-handed with flares, and were caught causing trouble. No-one is being racist, or targetting them. The situation is quite clear - if they behaved appropriately there would be nothing to report."
"Sorry Linda, pictures speak a thousand words," wrote Johnny. They were wearing Croatian colours and throwing flares and giving the bird ... you can't be serious to think we believe this is all a beat up."

Croatian-Australian Emil Bulum also criticised Ms Paric, saying she "in no way" spoke for the majority of her community.

"Who the the hell is Linda Paric?? ... I am a Croatian-Australian and am very embarrassed by the antics of these stupid young hoodlums."

Premier John Brumby today described the behaviour by the mob as an embarrassment to the whole country.

I think it's embarrassing to Australia and, I gotta say, I think probably embarrassing to the Croatian community as well,'' Mr Brumby told 3AW today.

They don't do any credit to anyone. They don't do any credit to themselves. They don't do any credit to their community. They don't do any credit to Victoria. They are an embarrassment.''

After 11, mostly Croatian supporters, were ejected yesterday four people were today thrown from the ground for unruly behaviour, which included shouting, standing on seats and disrupting play.

Unlike yesterdays trouble, Police Superintendent Jock Menzel said there was no particular group involved during the Australian Opens second day.

Police said they were generally pleased with the behaviour of fans at Rod Laver Arena.

Security staff continued to search fans entering the arena for flares on day two.

I'd like to think the warning's helping, certainly we're acting on what we say we're going to do and that is take swift and appropriate action,'' Supt Menzel said.

This morning, Ms Paric attacked the Herald Suns coverage as predictable annual hysterical reporting and negative portrayal of the Croatian community is disappointing and a real comment on our media and its role.

And she also claimed no other community in the history of this country has been (as) vilified repeatedly.

The racist goons some wearing Croatian colours intimidated other fans, let of flares and spat on, then slapped a Herald Sun photographer.

The disgraceful display made a mockery of so-called multicultural Melbourne as tennis fans around the world tuned in for the first Grand Slam event of the year.

But Ms Paric instead told Neil Mitchell on 3AW: I say shame on the media for not taking its role as the fourth estate responsibly, and I also say shame on them because the first thing that is plastered everywhere is Croatia and Croats". (Listen to the Linda Paric interview here)

Ms Paric dodged questions about whether the group were Croatian supporters, saying: I have no idea whether they are, or not.

I have no idea whether theyre not. I have been looking at pictures in the Herald Sun. And, while some of them are wearing chequered tops a lot of them are wearing hoodies.

She claimed they were wearing hoodies because theyre teenagers.

Ms Paric repeatedly refused to accept the group were of Croatian background, saying they would have to be charged and identified to clarify their ethnicity.

Every year it is portrayed as the Croatian community, and this is the problem with it every single year.

Pressed to accept the behaviour was a problem, she said no-one condones this.

I call on anyone who goes to the tennis whether they are Croatian or any other ethnicity to show respect and regard, first of all for the players because if I was a Croatian player I wouldnt appreciate any (bad) behaviour.

Asked whether she accepted there was an element of Croatian supporters, she said of course there are Croatian supporters.

She said I dont know what trouble they caused despite looking at the pictures of Nazi salutes and flares.

Croatian fans are not the only ones who have brought flares into sporting events.

Ms Paric disputed whether the front page photograph clearly showing a Nazi salute was what it appeared.

The Nazi salute. I really challenge that theres also a three-fingered salute in that. When did that become the Nazi salute? In the same picture taken from different angles.

Id really like to see that picture uncropped.

Stop violent louts ruining our tennis

As the racists brought shame on Melbourne on the first day of the Australian Open, police, tennis officials and politicians were red-faced and fuming yesterday.

Family First Senator Steve Fielding said racist louts should be banned from all sporting events for at least three years or jailed.

"People have the right to go to these events without having to put up with this kind of trash," he said.

The trouble started when eight people were barred from entering the tournament for carrying flares. One flare was let off outside Melbourne Park even before play started.

Teams of security staff were waiting when the front gates opened but some Croatian fans dodged them by running up the stairs while others attempted to hide their faces under hoodies.

Another 11 goons were ejected from court six, half an hour into Croatian Ivo Karlovic's match against Czech Radek Stepanek.

One supporter was found carrying two flares.

Police Supt Jock Menzel denied security failed.

"You must understand people are innovative and they will go to great lengths to smuggle contraband into the particular venue," he said.

He said police assisted security staff in ejecting Karlovic's supporters, who have been banned for the rest of the tournament.

Two were fined $234, one for disrupting play and the other for possessing a flare, but no charges were laid.

"These 11 people were disruptive, they were standing on seats and they were causing problems for the other spectators who were there to watch the game," Supt Menzel said.

"Tennis Australia and Victoria Police, we won't tolerate poor behaviour and we've demonstrated that this morning."
LOL, damn media *shakes fist*

fedelta

• Aggressive fans at Australian Open
  • Light flares, make offensive gestures
  • Photographer spat at, punched

OUTRAGEOUS

Paolo

fedelt said:
  • Aggressive fans at Australian Open
  • Light flares, make offensive gestures
  • Photographer spat at, punched

OUTRAGEOUS
well actually the story has changed....apparently the photographer was just slapped.

Tbf id prefer them there with their offensive gestures and lighting of flares outside then the fanatics singing their cringeworthy material

midfielder

fedelt said:
http://media.mytalk.com.au/3AW/AUDIO/190110_Croatian_Debate.wmv

Great listening and how I can recall similar interviews about Football during the NSL days...

But a couple of comments... I also think the NSL folk were wrong in many ways ...

Also while like most I remember the ''' Dark Ages"" ( re Australian football) it must also be remembered we made ourselves easy targets and more importantly we need to ensure we move on and create a better product ... while it is easy to blame the media we did ourselves a lot of harm... Crawford was done for a reason...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred