• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

South Africa 2010 Travel Advice!

Sean

Hi guys,
I am currently planning on and saving towards the 2010 World Cup.
I have started this thread as i need advice on how much to save and what would be the best option once tickets come to sale. I did not pay too much attention to cost of tickets/travel/supporter kits during the last World Cup so I am hoping there is someone on this forum who may have gone to Germany who can share what their advice in regards to the 2010 world cup.
I want to make sure I am part of it all and would love to travel around the cup will all the Aussie support so i have made this thread early enough to prepare plans and save what is needed. NOTE: If Australia don't qualify (Fingers crossed we do) I will still be heading to the W.C.

Please use this thread to discuss your travel plans, if you're going or not, some sweet deal whatever. I am sure there would be a few on this forum who might need some helpful advice.

kevrenor

Perm said:
Hi guys,
I have started this thread as i need advice on how much to save .....
My son has just paid for his tickets to South Africa for July 2008, via Hong Kong (1 stopover) with Cathay Pacific - $2,430

P

Pete

kevrenor said:
Perm said:
Hi guys,
I have started this thread as i need advice on how much to save .....
My son has just paid for his tickets to South Africa for July 2008, via Hong Kong (1 stopover) with Cathay Pacific - $2,430

Presume that's one way as he's going over there to be eaten by lions isn't he? ;D

Mariner Girl

Unfortunately, flight prices to both South Africa and South America are probably the two most expensive destinations. You will be far better off getting a package deal rather than going it alone. I will check out some Sports Travel Agents this week and advise who will probably be involved with some packaging for the 2010 WC.

marinermick

planning to get to this one and with lamese having relatives in cape town we have somewhere to stay

perhaps entertain the idea of a round the world ticket and use sth africa as a stopover

mariners4ever

i'm hoping to have 1 year off before going to uni/tafe, so i am trying to save to go to the world cup/england/europe

Sean

marinermick said:
planning to get to this one and with lamese having relatives in cape town we have somewhere to stay

perhaps entertain the idea of a round the world ticket and use sth africa as a stopover
mariners4ever said:
i'm hoping to have 1 year off before going to uni/tafe, so i am trying to save to go to the world cup/england/europe

Im pretty much hoping to do the same. World Cup then head north to Barcelona for a voyage around Europe. So far planned is a drive from Barce to Marseille via Millau, then Rome,Italy to Dubrovnik, Croatia visiting sites along the way.

Auburn Mariner

This is a true story:

Gorgeous, red-headed (sigh), 5ft3 ex-girlfriend is in England for 12 months and thinks, why not, let's fly to South Africa.

Gorgeous ex arrives at Jan Smuts Airport in Johannesburg, on her own. Walking out of the terminal, she is stopped before entering a cab by a machine-gun toting, white Afrikaner who is a member of Airport Police.

Conversation:

Afrikaner cop: Eh, girlie, where are you going there?
Gorgeous redhead ex (GRE): The Jo'burg Hilton
Afrikaner cop: You're an Aussie. Going to the city in a cab?
GRE: Yes, why do you ask?
Afrikaner cop, with furrowed brow: The cab driver will stop one block short of your destination, let you out, members of his gang will bash you, rob you, (censored), and finally kill you.
GRE: You're joking?
Afrikaner: No, missy, I am not. DO NOT catch a cab in Jo'burg, do not go out after dark, EVER.
GRE, visibly shaken: Thank you officer. What do you suggest I do now
Afrikaner: Go home

So 2 hours later, GRE is on a flight back to Heathrow, no questions asked, no extra charges.

Moral to the story: fly to the Cape, avoid Jo'burg and Durban as though they were the site of massive, uncontrolled Ebola outbreaks (think Tom Clancy's "Executive Orders"), visit Stellenbosch, Jeffreys Bay and the entire Cape, don't even THINK of going to Zimbabwe, and travel in a group.

Would I go to SA; yes, on a sporting tour, and only if I had complete control of where I was going, preferably with the entire Springbok pack as armed bodyguards.

serious14

*nods*  What Auburn said.......... Jo'Burg, Pretoria, and most of Free State are not worth the trouble, especially all the extra attention the World Cup will bring to foreign visitors.

Ignore the FIFA press releases about how "everything is alright blah blah blah".  Do some reading and research (the Internet is our friend) about just how in trouble this country is and how criminally underprepared they are for the World Cup.

Unfortunately for Africa, methinks this will be the last World Cup held there for a long time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred