• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Socceroos World Cup qualifer in doubt

brett

The tickets that have been sold for Brisbane are worth $3mil. They will have to refund that. Not sure what penalties will exist for not honouring sponsorships and the TV deal.

Hopefully $ can be saved in match fees and travel and costs for the away leg.

Minor dollars compared to the rewards that lay ahead for qualification. Finance isn't the big issue here.

Paolo

centralcoastyouth said:
keensy said:
its been reported that if this match doesnt go ahead the FFA will suffer a $3million loss. Not good when they are struggling for money as it is
dissolve the federation and bring back soccer australia
nah, just dissolve every sports federation and have one single ruler, works better imo

swarey

Roar offer to play Socceroos
Article from: The Courier-Mail

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,23769064-3102,00.html

Marco Monteverde and Tom Smithies

May 28, 2008 12:00am

IRAQ'S suspension from FIFA may not deprive 50,000 supporters the chance to see the Socceroos play at Suncorp Stadium on Sunday after all.
Queensland Roar coach Frank Farina on Tuesday night confirmed he was in talks with national boss Pim Verbeek about a possible match between the two sides.

FIFA is threatening to kick Iraq - scheduled to meet Australia in two World Cup qualifiers over the next 10 days - out of international soccer for a year unless the nation's government reinstates the Iraq Football Association by midnight Thursday.

FIFA boss Sepp Blatter made an impassioned plea on Tuesday for the Iraqi Government to back down, saying he could "not understand" how the 2007 Asian Cup champions faced the possibility of being thrown out of the World Cup.

Mr Blatter was emphatic that the match would be played.

"It must go ahead," he said.

"I'm not a betting man but I would like to be a prophet. I have a good feeling, they will play in Brisbane."

The Iraqi Government published a decree last week saying it was disbanding the allegedly-corrupt Iraq Olympic Committee and all affiliated sports federations.

However it has since notified the Iraq Football Association that it is not affected by the decision, hoping to reverse the World Cup suspension.

"We received a letter from the secretary-general of the cabinet which clarifies that the decision does not include the sports federations, including the soccer federation," Iraqi Football Association head Hussein Saeed said.

Despite Verbeek talking down the possibility of a scratch match if Iraq's ban was not lifted, Farina said the Roar was more than willing to provide opposition for the Socceroos.

"I actually put it forward to Pim that if they needed anyone to play on Sunday, we'd be happy to do it," the former national coach said.

"He rang me back and said he'd stay in touch in terms of if there was anything we could help out with. If they wanted us to play a game, we wouldn't have any problems with that. For us it would be fantastic."

Verbeek revealed a "plan B" was in place if the Iraq ban was not lifted by FIFA, but was certain the World Cup qualifier would proceed.

"I'm 100 per cent convinced," the Dutchman, a former coach of South Korea, said."Of course we have plan B, in case it's not going on.

Football Federation Australia stands to lose about $3 million in revenue if a match is not played on Sunday. About 50,000 tickets to the Brisbane match have been sold.

Sean

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23772005-23215,00.html

Iraq match on: Blatter

From staff writers
    May 28, 2008

FOX Sports understands FIFA president Sepp Blatter has assured the FFA that the World Cup qualifier between Australia and Iraq will go ahead on Sunday.

The game was in jeopardy after the world governing body said it would suspend Iraq from international competition for 12 months unless the Iraqi Government reinstated the Iraq Football Association by midnight on Thursday (EST).

The Iraqi Government said it had sacked its national Olympic committee and with it all sports federations because the committee had lacked a quorum to conduct its meetings and had not held elections for more than five years.

FFC Mariner

Top news for us, the code, the people who have bought tickets and the Iraqi's.

Life must be shitty enough for them as it is without being told you cant come to Brissie and play football

marinersman

Well now that it's all go, let's talk about the game.

I must admit, I'm a bit nervous about this one.

We should win, but I think the Iraqis will well and truly be up for this one. It's almost a game they have to win and they'd love to knock us off again more than anyone else I reckon.

It's a tough one for us. I'm going 2-0 to the good guys.

Super Mac and Bresh to score.

TOPGUN-JIMMY

allllllllll right ,  we made it, for those who didnt watch it.

1 nill to the ozis at suncorp...

oleeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Harry Kewell's five-star performance and second-half winner steered the Socceroos to a 1-0 win over Iraq and within sight of the next stage of World Cup qualifying.

Clubless Kewell was at his electrifying best for his country, heading home from a Brett Emerton cross in the 47th minute to give his side victory in their Asian Group A clash at Suncorp Stadium.

The former Liverpool midfielder played as a striker and was in everything as Australia consolidated top spot in the group.

But the Socceroos weathered plenty of nervous moments against the Asian champions.

Two important Mark Schwarzer saves were vital - the second denying Hawar Mulla Mohammed an equaliser with seven minutes left.

Iraq had the better of the opening 45 minutes but missed three golden opportunities to score and silence the near-50,000 crowd.

Midfielder Emad Mohammed hit the crossbar after just four minutes, then forced goalkeeper Schwarzer into a block with his legs from close range on 27 minutes.

Iraq's star striker Younis Mahmoud had the best chance of the half - fluffing an open header and putting it wide when unmarked after 36 minutes.

Kewell made the Iraqis pay for their wastefulness two minutes after halftime when he arrived to meet Emerton's cross from the right.

The only blemish on Kewell's night was missing a close-range sitter in the 66th minute and he left the field to a deserved standing ovation with 15 minutes remaining.

But as Kewell departed and Australia moved into defensive mode, Iraq lifted a gear with several late chances to square.

Hawar's chance was the best, but a clearance that bounced off Mahmoud's knee and just wide in the 82nd minute was also too close for comfort.

The Socceroos also had to endure the tiresome efforts of two pitch invaders inside the final minutes; they were embarrassingly able to remain on the field for a couple of minutes before security managed to remove them.

Australia now have seven points from three matches and need to finish top two in the group to move to the next stage of Asian qualifying later this year.

That could be secured as early as their next qualifier against Iraq in Dubai on Saturday.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=572930

shipwreck

Anyone notice how Harry isnt wearing Nomis boots anymore, looks like he wears Nike Air Legends now

Interesting

dru

Home end was absolute crap tonight, the Roar boys tried there best but with large sections of Sydney and I think Melbourne fans doing there own things it just didn't work right. At times you could actually hear the Iraqi fans singing in the home end.

The muppet pitch invaders made security look like muppets as the players were doing more to get rid of them than security (Actually some of the Iraqi players looked well pissed off with the two guys). And this after one of the roar lads had his drum sticks confiscated. I really don't know if there is a more inept group of security for a football match. 

Still not sure how the early Iraq chance stayed out, but that was a big let off for us. After Harry came off our midfield really wasn't great, suffered a bit when Brecsiano came off as well. Hopefully we do better in the return leg. Meggsi looked reasonable and Carney wasn't half bad either.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred