• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Socceroos FTA - Socceroos to be put on anti siphoning list

Jorome Alexander Bennett

Lifted from Pintculture.com:-

Soccer fans are unlikely to see their national team play regularly on free-to-air television for at least five years.

Wednesday night's broadcast of the Socceroos' first World Cup qualifier against Qatar was only available to Foxtel subscribers.

Communications Minister Stephen Conroy says the Labor government will place Socceroos' matches on the anti-siphoning list - which ensures major sporting events appear on free-to-air television - when the Foxtel contract with the Football Federation of Australia ends in 2013.

He said the Howard government's communications minister, Helen Coonan, had refused to put the matches on the anti-siphoning list.

The government could intervene now but that would expose the federation to an "ugly" multi-million dollar penalty.

"It is a significant penalty that would potentially cause quite a deal of difficulties for the football federation," Senator Conroy told ABC Radio.

"We are talking about many, many millions of dollars.

"They (the Socceroos) are as significant as the (rugby union) Wallabies, they are as significant as the (rugby league) Kangaroos, as our cricket team, and this attitude of Helen Coonan and the former government was very, very disappointing and a slap in the face to soccer fans," he said.

Australia defeated Qatar 3-0 before a sellout crowd of 50,000 at the Telstra Dome in Melbourne.

S

soccersensei

Mmm... Hard one, I do understand the disappointment and its more the families with kids who can't as easily just nick down to the leagues or a pub, and also there's SBS to consider, however I do also feel some loyalty to Fox as I think they have been incredibly instrumental in the A league being the growing success it now is - oh and the rugby mad stations can all go screw themselves.

rosko

Im with you 'sensei'  I believe Fox had the guts, vision, call it what you will to shell over the bucks for the rights to the games. Its only now that the free to air networks are spewing that they are running behind the wagon that has Football on it.. And the wagon is getting faster too...  :piralaugh: :piralaugh: :piralaugh:  Good on you Fox, and good luck.. I enjoyed watching the game!!!!  :pirashoot: :pirashoot: :pirashoot:

Jorome Alexander Bennett

You enjoyed watching the game but many millions of Australians didn't have the chance because they don't have Fox for whatever reason. The Socceroos are of such national importance, thankfully, that it is right to force them to be on free to air.

My hat goes off to fox. They took a gamble and didn't do it half heartedly. They have done great for the image of the A-league. But the brand of the Socceroos was not lifted by fox it is hampered by the exclusion of many.

Foxtel's bravery and effort can be rewarded by further A-league contract but every competitive Socceroo game must be on FTA.

northernspirit

the only problem as i see it is because the ffa bundled the socceroos and a-league as a package thats how they were able to get more $ from the fox deal... if that now becomes a-league only the next deal could be considerably less and then a FTA network pick up rights to the socceroos cheaper the ffa ends up with less revenue

tricky, fox have done wonders for the game BUT alot of people are missing out on seeing top level football too

dibo

top posts GB, captures my thoughts on the matter exactly.
northernspirit said:
the only problem as i see it is because the ffa bundled the socceroos and a-league as a package thats how they were able to get more $ from the fox deal... if that now becomes a-league only the next deal could be considerably less and then a FTA network pick up rights to the socceroos cheaper the ffa ends up with less revenue

tricky, fox have done wonders for the game BUT alot of people are missing out on seeing top level football too

the thing is that at the beginning of the deal, the socceroos were clearly the meat in the stew. now the a-league is absolutely honking. the effective values of the two have changed. the league is worth heaps more, and what's more it's a regular product, while the national team will play maybe 10 times a year. i think if the national team and a league highlights package were packaged well it might function as a really good advertisement for the fox coverage of the league.

northernspirit

that would depend on a FTA network capable of such a move,  i cant see 7 or 9 doing it... ABC and SBS dont have the cash which leaves only channel 10, i think they could but would they want to have 2 eggs in the one basket as theyre already commited to AFL

midfielder

Goldenboy said:

The government could intervene now but that would expose the federation to an "ugly" multi-million dollar penalty.

"It is a significant penalty that would potentially cause quite a deal of difficulties for the football federation," Senator Conroy told ABC Radio.

That is all bull.

Foxs would say contract with the FFA is worth 17 million per year, which is broken down between how much thet paid for the A-League, Asians Champions League & the Socceroos.

Lets say on the high side the Socceroos was worth say 10 million, then if a commercial network paid the ten million to Fox then they are repaid their losses and getting the A-League & Champions league for 7 million well a gift.

I hate when in opposition they say one thing in oppostion..............after government after a little pressure from 7 & 9 and maybe news as well, they back down. On SBS the then shadow sports minister ( I think) on air in a direct answer to a Les Murry question will the Socceroos be placed on the anti-siphoning list, to which she said yes, are you aware of the fox contract, yes was the answer.

Does not matter which side, they say anything to get in but give me once in power, F M the F lie.

NOt Happy ........ALP ............... ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

midfielder

Goldenboy said:
You enjoyed watching the game but many millions of Australians didn't have the chance because they don't have Fox for whatever reason. The Socceroos are of such national importance, thankfully, that it is right to force them to be on free to air.

My hat goes off to fox. They took a gamble and didn't do it half heartedly. They have done great for the image of the A-league. But the brand of the Socceroos was not lifted by fox it is hampered by the exclusion of many.

Foxtel's bravery and effort can be rewarded by further A-league contract but every competitive Socceroo game must be on FTA.

Very well said and I agree

S

soccersensei

Yeah no arguments from me Goldenboy, as I said it's a hard one and I can see both sides.
But I think your point is excellently made, it's simply too important to not go FTA for the socceroos, so measures should be taken to persuade Fox and then compensate them for the sacrifice of their vision support and investment.

FFC Mariner

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo to any FTA network controlling the coverage. 10's disaster for the LA Galaxy match shows us what we can expect.

Simple, let Fox continue to cover it and simply sell the feed to FTA. People can choose how they watch it then.

Jesus

Jesus
midfielder said:
Goldenboy said:

That is all bull.

Foxs would say contract with the FFA is worth 17 million per year, which is broken down between how much thet paid for the A-League, Asians Champions League & the Socceroos.

Lets say on the high side the Socceroos was worth say 10 million, then if a commercial network paid the ten million to Fox then they are repaid their losses and getting the A-League & Champions league for 7 million well a gift.

I hate when in opposition they say one thing in oppostion..............after government after a little pressure from 7 & 9 and maybe news as well, they back down. On SBS the then shadow sports minister ( I think) on air in a direct answer to a Les Murry question will the Socceroos be placed on the anti-siphoning list, to which she said yes, are you aware of the fox contract, yes was the answer.

Does not matter which side, they say anything to get in but give me once in power, F M the F lie.

NOt Happy ........ALP ............... ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
Ont eh high side the roos games are worth 15mil per year, not 10. I would be surprised if they were worth any less than 12 mil a year in that deal.

I think the FFA could get more money wholely for socceroos matches than what fox paid, but initially obviously wanted to ensure the a-league was covered, with reasonable coverage.

P

Pete

Goldenboy said:

Yes, very well said Goldenboy, and welcome back to the forum!

I found out on Wednesday that the FTA matter is much more than whether folks can/will afford to pay for Foxtel at home or not.

I was at work, and could only catch 15 minutes of the match at work, due to the staff rooms (institute) having Foxtel connected. But then I went out on the road.

I have watched the Olympics in 2000, some Socceroos FTA qualifiers and the like at work, using a portable TV that has a 4" screen.

But thanx to the Foxtel exclusivity, I can't watch any Socceroos match when I lay up in the bus or anywhere else. Foxtel hasn't the technology to offer a portable receiver, so unless I can nick over to some pub (not recommended if you are in a bus drivers' uniform and then jumping straight into a bus - folks think you've been drinking!  :p), or get back to the depot, I'm stuck. No doubt there are others in the same boat as me.

Omni

Surely Fox can cover the games as well, just DO NOT give it to Channel Seven and the ammount of crap the SBS has given the FFA, they don't deserve it.

Jorome Alexander Bennett

No station can ruin a socceroos match.
There will be no ads during the match from any station.
Commentators... whatever. The enjoyment I gain from watching the Socceroos play has nothing to do with the commentators.
Great commentators can make a poor match watchable, a skill that is superfluos when it comes to national team matches for me, but a poor commentator never makes a great match any less than great.

As bad as any FTA station coverage can be it will be made up for by the huge cash injection the game will recieve from a serious bidding war. Perhaps FTA channels don't want to touch the A-league but you know they will fork out for the Socceroos. The Socceroos are so bankable. Huge amount of viewers and superstar players that can be used on a promo for So you think you can dance with the stars.

So the socceroos games will be up for FTA stations to have a crack in 5 years. We have a World Cup before then. Another chance for the socceroos to construct a mighty bandwagon that encompasses the Australian public and Kochie. If we can match the fervour of support enjoyed last world cup then the stations will be throwing enough money at the game that the FFA can pay for a decent haircut for Henk Duut.

S

soccersensei

Omni said:
Surely Fox can cover the games as well, just DO NOT give it to Channel Seven and the ammount of crap the SBS has given the FFA, they don't deserve it.

Well said Omni.
The coverage can be made accessible without bending backwards for those who are the least deserving. It's not about commentators "ruining a match" for me. For me it's about a set of values and approach to the growth of the world game in our country, which I feel is a very important consideration. Coverage by "anyone" is agreeably better than people missing out as you expressed well before goldenboy... but will personalities, coverage and the media contribute to the direction and shape of Football and Football culture in our country? Absolutely, so such considerations shouldn't just be easily dismissed imo and there is no harm in seeking to make sure that as many best interests as possible are being served.

Greenpoleffc said:
Nooooooooooooooooooooooo to any FTA network controlling the coverage. 10's disaster for the LA Galaxy match shows us what we can expect.

Simple, let Fox continue to cover it and simply sell the feed to FTA. People can choose how they watch it then.

Good point, GP, why not indeed as long as it is being aired by one FTA - the problem is still solved.

nero

I know this is a little side tracked, but the Sydney FC game against Galaxy which was on FTA.

Drew a shit load of people who don't follow Football.

I had rugby league supporters coming up to me the next day at work saying they changed the channel and saw the Galaxy game on and watched the whole thing loving it.

Fta for the Socceroos is a must and A- League should remain on Fox except for the Grand final.

midfielder

This is an entirely different spin, on the Socceroos free to air.

Essentially in a prior post  http://marinators.net/forum/index.php?topic=718.0, I mentioned I was doing some work with an executive from Telstra.

Today I was in Sydney and in between clients and I ran into the same Telstra executive. Wanting to perhaps get my face / name around went up and said HI.  The Telstra guy was with another Telstra executive, and they were about to have a coffee and invited me to join them.

The other Telstra is from Telstra sport (I did not know Telstra had a sports department TBH)

To my point,  I bemoaned the fact the Socceroos were not on free to air.

Then the new Telstra told me a story and being gubbile when it comes to good news stories  about the Socceroos.

As best as I can recall.

Mate its an open secret that Fox are looking for a sponsor for the Socceroos to go FTA. Not live but delayed, around an hour, maybe more. All commercial networks have been approached and Nine are showing real interest but are waiting to see if Australia win the China match.

Why 9 I asked, because they want to get on top 7 in the rating and see Socceroos matches as perhaps doing this. But they want to be reasonably confident they will get a number of games and are hanging off until the China result, as a win should ensure Australia make the next round thus a reasonable number of games.

He then said the advantages to Fox where, it will lift the profile of the A-league, and given the extra games and the Asian champions league they see the Socceroos as lifting rating for A-league & Asian Champions league.

Problems still unresolved between Fox and clubs & Pubs. Pubs and clubs get big crowds for Socceroo matches and they do not want the live crowds in clubs and pubs to not turn up.

They then left with me with thousands of questions, like  why it suited Telstra and why the hell are Telstra  involved in it all,  apart from owing half of Fox.

In summary Socceroos for Channel 9, to beat 7 in rating, but only after being reasonable sure we Australia will make the next round, Fox in open discussion looking sponsors for a delayed broadcast but dont want to upset the clubs and pubs, but looking to increase the profile of the A-league and Asian Champions League.

He had a suit and the original Telstra guy I spoke was a very senior executive.

Sounds believable but I am gubbile where the Socceroos  are concerned.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred