• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Simon: still remains without a goal, concerned?

CCM-JAM80

Simon: still remains without a goal, concerned?

Like most, I am a big Matt Simon fan and I was happy to see him start on the weekend though it has to be said: twenty odd appearances in the A-League (admittedly mostly as a sub) and he still remains with out a goal  :-\

He missed a sitter on the weekend and has missed his chances a few times this season - the goal he did score was incorrectly taken away from him.

Is there cause for concern here?

Bex

I wouldn't be so worried if he wasn't repeating the same mistake over and over again; but he is. The amount of times he has spooned the ball miles above the cross bar is starting to become silly now. For mine, he would be better off giving the goal keeper an easy save for the next couple of shots rather than another spoon thang.

Dr Nick

I believe [fingers crossed] that he is destined to score the winner in the Grand Final. As his one and only goal for the season, imagine how insane it would be...

Bear

I believe, at this stage of the season, there should be NO negative talk, as like it or not, he is there, provided he gets over his injury. Come on Matty, slot one this weekend for the lads

Bex

Bearinator said:
I believe, at this stage of the season, there should be NO negative talk, as like it or not, he is there, provided he gets over his injury. Come on Matty, slot one this weekend for the lads

Yeh, you're probably right Bearinator. I'm sure Matty and the coaching staff are all working hard on it. I hope, no, I'm sure the rest of the Mariners are giving him plenty of support in getting over the hurdle.

pjennings

Matt will come good. I'm sure he knows what he is doing wrong. Besides - he is doing a lot right in creating chances for himself and others. Give him time and he will be worth the wait.

Jeff (LouMacari)

I maintain the reason he was re signed and the reason that Pim wanted to look at him is the same....MASSIVE potential.

should have scored a few by now sure, and I reckon when he does get the confidence and get his eye in, he will be a gun!
C'mon Matty, a couple in the finals will do it!

Omni

It seems when he gets his eye in he'll be a gun, I just hope it's soon!

They're definitely supporting him though, the bench was yelling encouragement to him throughout his time on the pitch. Hope he recovers quickly hip injuries suck!

S

soccersensei

Anyone who's all heart goes through their baptism of fire...
and when Matty's comes to an end, I agree that he's gonna be almost unstoppable!
As said, he's got MASSIVE potential... and despite his agreeably painful goal misses...
he's also shown absolutely MASSIVE improvement over this season. Virtually all his other play is really starting to come together for him now, (which is the bulk of the work) and the final piece of the jigsaw is going to be his end touch under pressure - which it has to be said, is not at all an uncommon phenomenon for strikers.  Anyone else feel the flood gates rumbling...?

:eek:verhead: :eek:verhead: :eek:verhead: :eek:verhead:

P

Pete

Looking back on Matt Simon, I can see a huge improvement over the time he has been with the Mariners.

Sure, he still falls over way too much for my liking, and he sometimes runs like a spastic giraffe, but now he is cutting some runs and causing the defence to pay more attention to him.

It will only be a matter of time when he gets on target, the moons align, he's in the right position and bingo! a goal.

He has improved his steadiness on his feet, he is formidable in the air, he can run fast enough, he has the enthusiasm of youth, will come back and chase down defenders trying to clear their line. He has picked up his stride and his body language shows he's getting the full benefit of playing alongside Mr. Aloisi, an idol of his. I guess he feels like he's the kid at school who has this famous friend!

Didn't look at all well at the PMF after the Wellington game, so I hope he's fit for the Newcastle games.

FFC Mariner

I would have hoped that watching Kwas play in seasons 1 & 2 would have taught us that the step up from State League to HAL is huge for a striker.

Look at the last 2 goals Kwas has put away. Last season he probably wouldnt have had the confidence or experience to even have a go at them.

MS just needs that 1st goal. Off a shin/knee/mis hit whatever and he will relax and go on from there.

Patience people.

bikinigirl

Greenpoleffc said:
Look at the last 2 goals Kwas has put away. Last season he probably wouldnt have had the confidence or experience to even have a go at them.

. last season he probably would have pulled his head back and launched it into the water (sound familiar) - it was all about power, refer also his penalty taking (which worked)

. sat. night it was all about placement and timing - the power came from the sweet, sweet timing - signs of maturity and more akin to a tommy goal

. and please stop trying to turn young and enthusiastic strikers into midfielders - we need to be creating the next generation of strikers, not pushing them elsewhere. we'll end up with no strikers if we don't nurture the young talent we have

Teddy Bear

Yes I am very concerned. Concerned that Bay 9 and 10 at EAS won't be able to hold due to the celebrating when Matty puts away the winner this weekend!!!!

midfielder

IMO Matty is a Socceroo in the making or shows that potential. He needs to  get the monkey off his back, although he did score against Victory but was ruled offside when he was not.

I still think he is a better right mid than striker, but he has it all speed strenght courage a never give in spirit. What he lacks is a goal, when it comes there will be no stopping him.

Jocwa08

midfielder said:
IMO Matty is a Socceroo in the making or shows that potential. He needs to  get the monkey off his back, although he did score against Victory but was ruled offside when he was not.

YES!
Matty = 2010 Socceroo World Cup Striker

S

striker

midfielder said:
I still think he is a better right mid than striker, but he has it all speed strenght courage a never give in spirit. What he lacks is a goal, when it comes there will be no stopping him.

Yep -  you are right... the boy is not intuitively a striker..... but, don't get me wrong.... he's a very good footballer..... eg.  left or right winger.which ever he prefers I don't know.  Let's keep him a bit longer to prove himself.

brett

bikinigirl said:
. and please stop trying to turn young and enthusiastic strikers into midfielders - we need to be creating the next generation of strikers, not pushing them elsewhere. we'll end up with no strikers if we don't nurture the young talent we have

Good point. Australia is not producing many technically excellent players. The A-League is bereft of quality finishers. Even Aloisi misses chances!

Tassiemariner

I can't wait to see Matty Simon doing what James Robinson did last year for Melbourne.
Came off the bench most matches and didn't score during the regular season then in the Major-Semi final 2nd leg in the 90th minute pops up and scores to send us to a home Grand Final.

FFC Mariner

Foriegnmariner said:
I can't wait to see Matty Simon doing what James Robinson did last year for Melbourne.
Came off the bench most matches and didn't score during the regular season then in the Major-Semi final 2nd leg in the 90th minute pops up and scores to send us to a home Grand Final.

What and then f**k him off to Perth where he has a dismal season?? No thanks. If Lawrie believes in him then so do I

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred