• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Simon or Sasho

uptheguts

Hey hey

Have you any thoughts on who Aloisi plays better with.

Personally and I will more than likely get abuse hurled at me.... I think Matty puts the ball where Aloisi prefers to take the shot from where Sasho tries the goal and if not luck will then pass or try Aloisi to finish.

It seems there is a little more opportunity to score when Simon and Aloisi are attacking.... Thoughts?

Deej

Gotta play Sasho he's got 5 and knows where the net is......Simon is still learning and is full of enthusiasm but his goal scoring record spreaks for itself...........give it time though.

Tommy behind Sasho and Aloisi is mouth watering if they are on song together, Matty gives us another option off the bench if we need a goal, perhaps attacking midfielder is better suited to Matty or right wing? I know he's played there for Lightning a year or 2 back?

Jeff (LouMacari)

I think Matty is more likely to have the attitude of "where would you like the ball Aloisi?.." as per his cross across goal on Sunday, where as Sasho would more than likely have taken the shot himself.  Don't know whether thats a good thing or bad thing. Is it that 'selfish' eye for goal that Matty needs? Would Sasho's shot have gone in anyway?

My comment on Sunday was, imagine how much Matty is learning, playing along side the likes of Aloisi! He hasn't got Sasho's experienced 'cunning' (yet) but a brilliant future for him and our club all lined up!

skilbeck

i reckon we should still keep sasho and aloisi up front with subbing simon on for 30 minutes for a few more matches. he will get that elusive goal this season i believe, but IMO sasho is still the better striker, but for how long i wonder

I don't think it really matters as long as either one of the boys start to give big Johnny some decent service, you could see J.A. getting frustrated against Queensland Roar because he wasn't getting the service he wanted. There where some promising plays though and it is looking better, once they get on song i reckon other teams will be getting i quite bit more cautious.

Matt playes well FOR Aloisi, whereas Saso is an alternate striker to Aloisi.

At this stage, Saso has more finishing class and expereince to get him through hardened defences, so he's the preferred choice over Matt. And the defences really have to worry about Saso AND Aloisi, where with Matt on the field they tend to concentrate more on Aloisi.

The expereince that Matt is getting having gametime with the likes of Saso and Aloisi is invaluable and I expect he'll be a better player for this season as understudy to these guys. Whether Matt has the technical natural skill to go further than this level of playing I'm still undecided on.

We saw against Qld where McKinna put O'Grady on upfront with Simon AND Aloisi, so maybe McKinna has it in his mind that where a game needs it, he'll run all 3 strikers.

skilbeck

one thing in matts favor would be the goal that aloisi got this weekend. I believe that Sasho wouldve had the shot meaning that It wouldve been saved whereas Matt set up Aloisi.

Jeff (LouMacari)

skilbeck said:
one thing in matts favor would be the goal that aloisi got this weekend. I believe that Sasho wouldve had the shot meaning that It wouldve been saved whereas Matt set up Aloisi.
Great point skillbeck, why didn't I think of that?

fish

Challenging for a title Ill take experience anytime.
Matty offers hard work and enthusiasm yes, Sasho offers a history of scoring and to me at the moment thats what we need.

Hagar the Horrible

Asa Foetida said:
Matt playes well FOR Aloisi, whereas Saso is an alternate striker to Aloisi.

At this stage, Saso has more finishing class and expereince to get him through hardened defences, so he's the preferred choice over Matt. And the defences really have to worry about Saso AND Aloisi, where with Matt on the field they tend to concentrate more on Aloisi.

The expereince that Matt is getting having gametime with the likes of Saso and Aloisi is invaluable and I expect he'll be a better player for this season as understudy to these guys. Whether Matt has the technical natural skill to go further than this level of playing I'm still undecided on.

We saw against Qld where McKinna put O'Grady on upfront with Simon AND Aloisi, so maybe McKinna has it in his mind that where a game needs it, he'll run all 3 strikers.
Don't forget the game against Melbourne in which both of our goals came when Simon was up front with Aloisi and Petrovski.

When it's just 2 up front, I believe that even though Petrovski has the experience and is a better finisher, Simon is a better foil for Aloisi.

midfielder

Sash, he can score and as I mentioned on another I would move Matty to RM, because he sets up a lot of goals

P

Pete

How about starting all 3 to attack from the start?
Lineup (start)
-------------Danny-------------
---Wilko-----Boogs--------Heff--

Porter------Jedi-----------Brown/Owens

------------Tommy/Hutch--------
--Simon-----Aloisi--------Petrovski--

If Back 3 have defence troubles or go 1 down, or we need to consolidate, or defend a win:

-------------Danny---------------
Porter----Wilko--Boogs------Heff---

------------Jedi----------------

---Simon----Hutch/Tommy----Brown/Owens--

----------Aloisi------Petrovski--------

Someone said above that Simon has played RW before, and he and Porter do play well together and can link up.

marinermick

as a striker you are paid to score goals:

sasho = 5
simon = 0

no contest on who should start

however, sasho has to improve his combinations with aloisi because simon is ahead of him in this respect

S

striker

absolutely right..... we need people who can score......

however, I think there is a perfectly good position for Simon as a wide midfielder.  He can run, holds the ball quite well now and has almost a pinpoint pass.  I'd move him into midfield.

P

Pete

marinermick said:
as a striker you are paid to score goals:

sasho = 5
simon = 0

no contest on who should start

however, sasho has to improve his combinations with aloisi because simon is ahead of him in this respect

Agreed Mick, but there is a case for inclusion of Simon too in the side.
1) as you mentioned he is working better with Aloisi
2) he has a good interaction with Porter and if Porter is in the lineup, then you'd want to have Simon lurking nearby.
These two points indicate a better right side attack (presuming Matt would play RW and Porter RB).

That all said, tho, I reckon Lawrie will lean towards 442 formation and have Simon on the bench.

marinermick

i
uncleyellow said:
Would love to see Lawrie throw the 3 of them up front someday, but as we know he loves his 442.

it is a very fluid 4-4-2

have heff in the team means it often goes to a 3-5-2

didn't happen on sunday as he was marking kruse but it meant that clarky was playing more of a midfielder than back and owens then kwassy was playing a little inside

P

Pete

Yeah, Heff had a hard time controlling Kruse IMHO. The kid was fast and if Heff got caught out too far forward Kruse was away!

I think Lawrie had the play switched to Clarkey's side as a result, and probably instructed Heff to keep back a bit more than usual.

skilbeck

marinermick said:
i
uncleyellow said:
Would love to see Lawrie throw the 3 of them up front someday, but as we know he loves his 442.

it is a very fluid 4-4-2

have heff in the team means it often goes to a 3-5-2

didn't happen on sunday as he was marking kruse but it meant that clarky was playing more of a midfielder than back and owens then kwassy was playing a little inside

I dont believe Heff was doing a good job of marking Kruse now that you mention it. I think you will see all 3 up front at the end of matches that are even or we are losing. But not as a start

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred