• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Sigh...it's that time of the year again, another 'sports rage' kit

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

The NSW government seem to be putting out one of these things every year (whatever the hell they actually are)

Utterly pointless though.  It'd be nice if they stopped the self-congratulatory wank for trotting out the same tired, pointless rubbish and actually did something practical, for once

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,23831430-5006009,00.html

Sport rage kits target parents
Article from: The Daily Telegraph

By Clare Masters, Political Reporter

June 09, 2008 12:00am

A WAVE of specially designed anti-sport rage kits have been handed out to NSW parents to bring down the level of field-side tantrums in local sport and lure amateur umpires back into the industry.

The anti-violence kits include tips for volunteers on hosing down parents who lose their temper during a game as well as posters, stickers and brochures advising hot-tempered spectators to behave.

"It is an issue for clubs who have to deal with people who don't behave well. There are over 5000 volunteers who provide sport every weekend and the last thing they need is not be bothered with people who act in a really ridiculous way," Kerry Turner, the Government's community sport and recreation manager, told The Daily Telegraph.

"The problem is often over zealous, anxious parents on the sideline expecting way too much and it can be bad language right through to full-on assault."

The anti-rage project was originally designed to lure umpires back into sport after a number left following sport rage, largely from loud-mouthed parents.

Figures show the number of sport rage prevention resources distributed in children's sporting clubs in NSW have rocketed from 19,500 in 2005-06 to 202,400 in 2007-08 with a further 282,700 to go out in the next 12 months.

Between 1997 and 2001, there was a 26 per cent decline in the number of referees volunteering and "lack of respect and behaviour" was cited as the main reason volunteers were hanging up their whistles, Ms Turner said.

While some of the rage has subsided and the numbers are back up, the top issue for volunteers is still "parental expectation" - parents who not only put pressure on their own children, but also game officials.

"We do live in a more anxious society, there are higher expectation of services," Ms Turner said.

NSW Sports Minister Graham West said the kit was created to arm volunteers with the tools to address bad behaviour in their local sport.

"While it cannot stop all sport rage incidents, the kit helps club committees get on the front foot to proactively deal with a range of issues," he said.

"Dealing with sport rage is a major challenge because it not only reflects badly on the sport, it deters participation by players, officials and other volunteers."

While the Government does not keep track of sport rage incidents, the increase in the number of kits distributed stemmed from sporting clubs asking for help.

Recent evaluation of the kit more by than 50 per cent of sporting organisations showed the kit had changed the behaviour of field-side parents and improved the behaviour of players.

Nearly 65 per cent of the clubs surveyed reported they now had a clear approach to dealing with sport rage incidents and 80 per cent said they felt more confident about handling irate spectators

Is it my imagination, or does the state government seem to trot out this rubbish once a year? 'Wa-hey! Look at us! I can mention 'sports rage' in a press statement! Aren't I great at my job?'

It'd be nice if they stopped the self-congratulatory wank for trotting out the same tired, pointless rubbish and actually did something practical, for once. Seriously, this practice of issuing a 'sports rage' kit once a year and pretending it actually does something is beyond a joke. Until local football associations are forced to take action, nothing is going to happen (because too many local FA's don't have the balls - or integrity - to take action of their own accord).

IMO, this current one is actually detrimental because it seems to be placing the responsibility of misbehaving spectators onto the referee, and NOT on the club where it belongs.

Recently I suffered one of the worst cases of sports rage in a youth match that I've ever experienced (resulting in, among other things, the 2nd incident report agaisnt a coach by myself in a matter of weeks). Earlier this season in a very young match, abusive parents brought a young official to tears. I believe the problem of sports rage is getting worse, not better.

How about people actually start DOING something instead of this pointless claptrap? I know CCF has engaged in this soapbox practice with vigour but have not bothered to follow through ANY of the measures supposedly implemented (and haven't implemented any new measures for years) - how many other FA's have done the same?

It all looks good on paper when you can say 'oh yes Jim, look at the buzz words I can throw to the press, jolly good show' - but this doesn't actually do a damn thing towards making life easier for the officials, or making the sport more enjoyable for the participants.

Pathetic

FFC Mariner

Ch9 had an "eye witness who was drinking in Iggies on Friday, I think he is a Marinator but they blanked out his face.

Young, shaved head, glasses by the look of it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred