• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Shield named ref of the year

cruiser

Joel Griffiths can hit a ref and then get named player of the year (great example to young kids). Then the farce gets even worse when Shield, who wouldnt know a hand if it deservedly punched him in his ugly smug face, get's named ref of the year. Please someone tell me I'm dreaming. 

:soapbox:

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
coulda been worse...as much as Shields F****D it up on Sunday, Breeze coulda got it....now thats a nightmare inducing thought

:redcard: :redcard: :redcard:

S

striker

pathetic the standard of reffing in the HAL is right......

how about people at FFA get off their arse and try to secure the services of some POME refs for the next 2 seasons or so to lift the standard.  I'm suggesting poms (or scotish or irish) to avoid language barriers..... although some other euro refs would be ok too.  except italian refs - they are extremely competent, but are known to throw games! :piralaugh:

weston

Name a ref who deserves this award?    Ah yeah there is none. There should not be such an award for mediocrity.

Keep in mind that it was the REFEREE who stoped Griffo getting suspended by handing the yellow.

fishmum

[size=20pt]what a bunch of monkeys[/size]

Monkey-01.gif

Blackadder

fishmum said:
[size=20pt]what a bunch of monkeys[/size]

Monkey-01.gif

A striking resemblance to Shields ;), if he is the best the A-League has the talent pool is more like a puddle from a sun shower.
Prehaps when a national youth league kicks off it will provide a clear pathway for officials to reach the A-League.

skilbeck

Sheild and Breeze will never be dropped they are top in the league based on the logic "as it was in the beginning forever shall be" meaning they were the top refs because they were the top refs last year and so on. Well thats how I see the logic behind the FFA deciding it

Kareem

wow! crazy!
they must have had a hard time remembering last sunday!!!
who chooses award?
Also- was Danny out of GK of year award for 2 red cards he recieved (recall beaucjamp who was out of player of season award).
Which wuld fruther infuraite me that griffiths didnt get a red card (thus he would have been ruled out),
Personally I agree with Griifths being the HAL player of the season...but he is by no means the best player in HAL (ie. he performed better only).
Players better than him
Aloisi (came to late)
Juninho (Kossie is an idiot)
A.Thompson (MV had bad season)

T

thanman

"My name is Mark Shields I know all the board members of the FFA 'personally'."

HOPE YOU DIE A**WIPE!!

Hagar the Horrible

It's all political. Mark Shield gets these awards and the grand final because he is top of the pecking order rather than because of his performances with the whistle.

marinersman

Time for the flame proof coat here.

I don't actually blame the refs for their incompetence. Of course they haven't been up to scratch, but it's up to the FFA, to pay them decent salaries, make them full time and run education and training programs by bringing out referee or referee bosses from Europe. I've heard they're on $800 a game which is an insult. No way I'd do a HAL match at that money.

The players are full time and so the refs should be.

Anybody who's ever reffed at any level knows how difficult it is.

The FFA have done a magnificent job with the HAL but they've neglected the refs. It's time they put some resources into the officials. It's obvious to all and sundry they need help.

I think Shield is actually a good ref overall. He hasn't been at his usual standard this year, but just like players, they can be not at the top of their game, from time to time. Don't forget, he has officiated at to World Cups.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

marinersman - you're absolutely correct, I actually said something similar in the 'diving' thread, and discussed a few other issues:-
http://marinators.net/forum/index.php?topic=1067.msg21189#msg21189

It's easy to hate the referee for a mistake, but we need to be a bit realistic about a few things. 

These are are great officials.  Let's be realistic here - you need to get promoted a lot of times to get anywhere, in varying associations, so they've gotta be talented.  Watch these guys ref internationals - they do quite well.  The fact that ALL of them are systematically stuffing up in the HAL suggests that the problem lies with the men behind the scenes and not so much with the officials.

Overworked?  Definitely
The other question is - what are they being told?  Are they being told not to caution aggressive players, not to red card serious foul play (which explains all the brutal challenges that have been permitted) - and if so, why?

Also, what are the inspectors doing?  I agree with valentius that appointments are highly political, and these politics also prevent other officials from reaching the top.  It shouldn't happen, but it's a fact.  The officials should be judged on their weekly performance and appointed accordingly, but instead the FFA have decided that these officials are ranked in this order, and that's the end of it, and they'll be appointed as such.  I remember at the end of season 2, Ben Williams dropped to an atrocious standard, I don't think he could've handled a local premier league match.  He was clearly suffering from stress and overwork, yet he was still being appointed every week.

The inspectors can see what tackles are being missed - so why aren't the refs being hauled over the coals for some of their decisions?

We all know that referees are bound by integrity - what about the inspectors?

They should be inspecting with integrity and impunity, but perhaps inspectors are deliberately favouring certain referees?  It happens at all levels, why not the HAL?

And if this is happening, why haven't the FFA picked up on it?

marinersman - I think it's actually $600 a game, unless it went up this season.  Not really enough money when you consider they still have to work full time to support their families - families they don't get to see because they're losing their weekends through flying around Australia to referee.

Refereeing requires a massive mental effort - and if you're not 100% focussed, then it's quite surprising how your outlook on incidents changes, and it's quite surprising just how badly you can get a decision wrong if you're not on the ball mentally. 

Breeze in the first semi, he screwed up big time, but I was looking at his performance and I believe that he simply approached the game the wrong way from a mental perspective, and that's all it took to referee as badly as he did.

When you consider the stress, fatigue, and workload, then it isn't surprising that we see very few really good performances - and that the best performances we've seen actually come from the less important referees (though they also put in some shockers - there's a reason why they're not on top).

Making referees full time would make a big difference to this - of course the distinct lack of games to go around certainly doesn't help, and it makes it difficult from an appointing perspective too (which is another joke - You CANNOT have the same official referee both legs of the same semi, nor have the same official referee every time the same teams clash.  WAKE UP FFA!!!!)

If the FFA don't sort out the refereeing - and their own judiciary and match review committee - fans WILL leave in droves.  It happened in the NRL, and it'll happen here.  It's hard to stay interested in a league where matches may as well be decided by the toss of a coin. 

marinersman

Capn, that's one of the best posts I've read anywhere on these forums.

Very well articulated especially that time of morning.

Everyone on here should read it and have a think about it before they go in too hard on our refs.

Sorry I missed your post on the diving thread.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred