• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Season 2017/18 Review

Gratis

Enough said.

Moderators I think it's safe for you to go ahead and lock this thread off.

Reactions: adz

Wombat

I will review it when im sober.

Right now I dont ever want to see Kennedy in goals for us again. And i dont want to see Sully in charge of car parking at plium Park let alone a Football team.

scottmac

Suspended
With how the season started this is the result the club deserved. Dead last and a laughing stock. f**k this shit.

FFC Mariner

15-3 aggregate loss to the scum, first time in HAL that a team has scored 15 against single opposition in 1 season

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

It's so bizarre. We've seen what our players are capable of....so it's not the roster that lead to such a stupidly bad last 3rd of the season, surely.
I mean, I still can't figure out why our defenders don't give a shit, but that's been a problem for 3 years.
It's weird that we were amongst the best defence in the league for so long, despite so many frustrating defensive lapses.
We've seen how well the team can play against SFC, so how did we go from the performances early in the season to consistently inept performances at the end? I mean, it's the same players for the most part. So what else is happening to create such a disaster?
That sort of thing suggests it's not as simple as saying it's the squad....although when almost the entire squad has been utterly incompetent for the last third of the season, how on earth do you make your hiring and firing decisions?

Big Al

It's so bizarre. We've seen what our players are capable of....so it's not the roster that lead to such a stupidly bad last 3rd of the season, surely.
I mean, I still can't figure out why our defenders don't give a shit, but that's been a problem for 3 years.
It's weird that we were amongst the best defence in the league for so long, despite so many frustrating defensive lapses.
We've seen how well the team can play against SFC, so how did we go from the performances early in the season to consistently inept performances at the end? I mean, it's the same players for the most part. So what else is happening to create such a disaster?
That sort of thing suggests it's not as simple as saying it's the squad....although when almost the entire squad has been utterly incompetent for the last third of the season, how on earth do you make your hiring and firing decisions?
Instability probably played a big part. The guys don’t know if they will have A League jobs next year. The coach quit in them and once the finals were out of reach they showed no respect for there own effort little own the club and the fans. This mentality is why we don’t need any of them

Big Al

Goals - last or 10th depends on your political spin;)

Assists - last

Shots - last

Passes - 2nd

Tackles - 5th

Masterfoods Sauce - A League app

LFCMariners

Here's one out of left-field:

The 2009 Sydney Roosters NRL team had a decent side on paper and were tipped to have a season that improved on their previous one (they made the finals in '08, mind you). Round 1 they were at home to their traditional rivals Souths- a team with a large amount of bogan ferals in their supporter base who'd been a crap team for years, but a recent big money purchase of the club had them optimistic about improved fortunes (this sounds oddly familiar for some reason?). Anyhow round 1, Souths came out and spanked the Roosters, 52-12. It was the first time Souths had scored 50+ points in 29 years. There were warning bells for the Roosters from the very beginning.

Throughout that 2009 season, the Roosters underperformed considerably and it looked as though their coach (Freddy Fittler) had lost the dressing room. He was sacked by seasons' end and the no-nonsense Brian Smith was signed from the Knights. Easts jagged a couple of wins, but going into the last round they needed to beat an average Cowboys team at home to avoid the spoon. They were up 16-0 at H/T if I recall...but then in the second half they threw it away, Cowboys won and the Roosters were left dead last. So marked was the difference in the second half there were rumours certain players had thrown the game, but this was never confirmed...

So for 2010 Brian Smith begins his tenure and despite having the Bulldogs thrash them 60-14 early in the season, the Roosters gelled and ended up making it all the way to the Grand Final where St George proved too good for them. The Roosters were consistent finalists afterwards again, however, and won the 2013 Premiership plus 3 Minor Premierships in a row.

I see similarities with the current CCM squad and that '09 Roosters team. It's that same sense of 'They could have been much better than where they ended up'. CCM made a positive move in getting rid of Okon and replacing him with somebody with a good track record at HAL level. Now it's up to Mulvey to be free to recruit the players he wants, change the culture that was allowed to fester and change the attitude towards representing the Mariners. I'm not saying put your money on CCM making the GF next season, but with a return to a more Arnie-esque work ethic and this club could become THE improvement story of 2018-19...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred