• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Round 25. Melb Victory Away. Yay.

Cricko_086

Well I thought as a entire 90+5mins we were a good bottom placed team v no.2

Refs I didn’t think they had a great night but not much affected the result so meh.

But I expected a 3-0 or bigger differential so I’m kinda happy. See you all back at home next week

Ancient Mariner

I was expecting a lot worse.
Their players, man for man are so much better than ours, which was probably obvious to anyone watching.
We scared them.
Entertaining game.
Done but not disgraced.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Overall I think we've done fairly well, though reliability of our back line remains a problem. We've been moving around more and attacking more than the last few games as well. 2-1 is a good result for us - though it's frustrating as we were so close to an awesome outcome, but oh well.

I only caught bits and pieces as I had it on in the background while studying, but this game probably gave me the most confidence in Staj so far.

We were moving a LOT more than the last few games - we had gaps in defence (I wonder - was our defence worse this time?) and players falling asleep, but defend a lot of the game against MV and that's going to happen. On paper, the 2 teams aren't even in the same league.

So, I don't mind that result. The boys have done well. Kennedy did well

Ancient Mariner

Honda is about 3 inches shorter than Aspro and his foot was his height (Honda) at just under 6 foot. Definite high foot and reckless at best - yellow minimum.

You bend down, you take your chances.

I remember my son, was given a yellow card in the U16s, for putting himself in danger for lowering his head and copping a boot in the face. I thought the ref was a goose.
However on tonight's decision you bend forward to head the ball you risk a foot.

Ancient Mariner

On the players tonight, my impression without watching the replay:
Kennedy, MOM. On tonight's performance alone he would get a contract with any club in the League. Needs a season with Crawley.
AsproI: reckon he needs a season with an experienced CB (a la Patrick Z.) beside him.
Graham: Far too young has potential but a fair way to go yet.
Millar: Good Fullbacks are difficult to find. A shame he is leaving.
Clisby: As above full backs are hard to find. A couple of errors but we will find it difficult to find better.
Jem: Great engine and passion. I hope we can keep him.
Melling: He would have to win the trophy for the most improved of the season. Getting better and will literally bleed for the team.
Paine ; I would keep him, a shame that the rumours are that he is going.
Hoole: Headless chook.
McGlinchey: past it.
Simon: A shadow of himself. A shame but well past it.

Replacements:
Shabow: Better than McGlinchey, bench at best.
Mallon: I would like to keep him for another year the kid has loads of potential. One of a few of our players who will run at the oppostion. Sign him up.
Murray: Could be good with service. I am finding it difficult to decide. He seems to lack that yard of pace for the A-league. Give him another year.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

You bend down, you take your chances.

I remember my son, was given a yellow card in the U16s, for putting himself in danger for lowering his head and copping a boot in the face. I thought the ref was a goose.
However on tonight's decision you bend forward to head the ball you risk a foot.
That's cool and all, but he didn't. Honda's foot was up at head height.
upload_2019-4-14_20-17-46.png

Aspro dropped his head, what, maybe 6 inches? Versus Honda jumping and lifting the boot up that high?

It comes down to who is more at fault for the dangerous sitauation. A head dropped 6 inches versus a jumping boot lifted that high? You're mad if you think Honda wasn't responsible there.

Yes, a player can be penalised for putting themselves at risk - usually that if you're heading a ball around waist/knee height.

You're right that the ref is a goose if your son was booked for it though - no justification for that (assuming there wasn't dissent, persistent infringement, something like that)

Around, say, low chest height, it starts getting a bit 50-50 - though usually it's still the fault of the kicker still.

It comes down to who created the danger there.

Wombat

That's cool and all, but he didn't. Honda's foot was up at head height.
View attachment 1359

Aspro dropped his head, what, maybe 6 inches? Versus Honda jumping and lifting the boot up that high?

It comes down to who is more at fault for the dangerous sitauation. A head dropped 6 inches versus a jumping boot lifted that high? You're mad if you think Honda wasn't responsible there.

Yes, a player can be penalised for putting themselves at risk - usually that if you're heading a ball around waist/knee height.

You're right that the ref is a goose if your son was booked for it though - no justification for that (assuming there wasn't dissent, persistent infringement, something like that)

Around, say, low chest height, it starts getting a bit 50-50 - though usually it's still the fault of the kicker still.

It comes down to who created the danger there.

Clearly high feet and an immediate free kick to us minimum. Beath is borderline corrupt or retarded?

Wombat

Good effort tonight. The defending was a bit ropey, especially Graham early on. But we improved and worked really hard. Again the defending on their second goal was comically bad and i didnt see a RB within the same postcode as the ball. The back 4 dont have a leader and too 15yo CB's doesnt help as no one is running the show.

Kennedy, MOM. 3pts.
AsproI: Good effort. Sad to lose him, still green but a quality youngster.
Graham: Very raw. Got better as the game went on but I dont think he is any better than Glassock.
Millar: Shit RB but an excellent Wing Back.
Clisby: Got better as the game went on. Looked more confident.
Jem: Sign him up already you useless turds at Tuggerah. 2pts.
Melling: Frustrating player. Average touch and shit passing and got hung out to dry on the 1st goal BUT his workrate is immense.
Paine ; I really like him this season. Show have been resigned at the beginning of the year. 1pt.
Hoole: He is HAL standard but he is a plodder
McGlinchey: Used to be one of our best but sadly he no longer has it.
Simon: Good penalty but is not a 90 min player anymore. Still a fierce competitor.
Shabow. Decent game.

turbo

Simon is a waste of space and doesn’t offer nearly enough to be starting, had a few good passes and did convert the penalty but that’s to be expected. We will never have a dangerous attack while he occupies a critical spot.

I think Mallon showed up Hoole in attack in the limited time he got. Hoole was busier than usual though, I’ll give him that.

Kennedy - if we got that BK every week he’d be a hero not a villain.

Also Graham grew in to the game but didn’t look good early.

Forum Phoenix

Agree with all said. If Kennedy played even just 1 in three games like that I’d be happy with him. But it’s closer to one in ten with the other nine being several shockers and a couple of ok games - which we just cannot afford. But FINALLY he was coming off his line tonight and not hesitating. I think he must have actually been pulled up on it at last. Because he consistently has not all year.

Only other thing I would add is I was very disappointed by Murray off the bench. He’s had a lot of support on here but tonight was poor.

Maybe he’s pissed at being dropped or being played wide, or possibly no contract is coming, but there’s never an excuse to play like that. Fresh legs but was so lazy tracking or closing down, also turned the ball over or gave away a stupid foul and offered little.

With Tom injured I wished we had Nisbet to come on for a clearly tiring midfield and also disappointed not to be seeing Kekeris on the bench.

All in all, again far better organised, another tick for Staj imo. As AM said, just outclassed man for man across the pitch. Which for their comparative spend, we should be really.

midfielder

We had a structure today which we kept for the entire game which is something we have not done since Moss ...

There first goal was brilliant was lost in not closing the space for their mid to play but the first touch and off the ball running was good... those are good goals and took considerable skill to break us down .... the second goal was a deft pass to a support player running through and was another excellent goal.

We lost to two very good goals and their keeper pulled off a couple of great saves...

We obviously need better cattle next year so as to avoid the spoon and put ourselves at risk of regulation.

For me the next few games I would trial some of the kids as with the Roars win we cannot avoid the spoon so lets see what our juniors can do.

Antlion

I'm pleased to read people mentioning us being outclassed player for player because that was the difference I saw.

If the gulf wasn't so big Staj would be copping a lot more praise I suspect

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
Well! I truly thought we were gonna get slapped...BUT ...we didn’t, so that was good
Stand out for me was “Snake” probably , he was powering down the line all game, Melling done some good things as well , Painy done some work , so did Clisby ...Hoole and Kennedy...opinion unchanged
Now as relates to Honda and Aspro , yes Aspro did duck into it BUT as for the height of Honda’s , I’ve seen lower drop kicks in a Mexican wrestling match ...still dunno how Melling got busted open
The only thing I can add going forward is, Can we get the bloke doing Victory’s player shopping to do ours
One game to go...us Recks can’t make this one , but here’s to giving the drive bys a fright

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred