• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Round 2 Methcarthur away

Wombat

Accidentally put this in the Sydney forum and it was meant for here:

Milicic has already been found out. One game and his/Jolic’s simple game plan was easily countered.

Players that have been passable for the Mariners the last few seasons are playing out of their skin.

There seems a real team spirit in the squad and I think Ollie has made a real difference here. It was noticeable post game last week when he got them together for a chat.

The rift between Stajcic and Simon also appears to be healed. Genius move making him a coach and mentor. He is less renegade now and playing with real maturity.

I like the change of tactics as well. Dumping the curriculum rubbish and reliance on possession football, to one based on a solid defensive structure and more direct style of play.

The key now is to adjust when other teams play to our tactics.

Milicic is a clown. Jolic is not a clown's arse, he is sub-clown. Basically two muppets put together for our enjoyment.

Tim

Just back from Campbelltown and what a great win!! The Bulls had plenty of chances but we defended so well, not a poor performance on the field! So good to see DDS get a goal, he needs a confidence boost and that will lift him immeasurably! Ollie is awesome, pure and simple! What a pleasure to have selection headaches in the weeks to come. It’s a shame there’s a break as I hope we do not lose any momentum!

For the football scholars amongst us, WTF with the Bulls keeper living in the midfield for half the game, does he get lonely at the back?

Wombat

Well we are top of the league. All hail King Staj and Prince Arrarte.

Talking to Janota this morning I told him we would be hard to beat this season. After that game he must be licking his lips.

So many good performances today.

Birraz wonderful save.
Tonyik was close to MOM. Impervious.
Rowles was excellent and read the game so well.
Clisby was excellent. Now we are playing with much better structure he looks so much better.
Olly was superb. A real professional captains knock.
Stens. Simply wonderful this afternoon. MOM.
Everyone else did so well but I also want to mention Bouman. That was a VERY impressive debut.

Staj's use of his subs has been fantastic in the two games so far.

3pts. Stens
2pts Tonyik
1pt Olly.

CANT WAIT FOR THE NEXT HOME GAME!

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Matty got a card when he smashed the Blonde kid.
Yeah, and he was very, very lucky not to pick up a second.

Absolutely unreal, great to see the boys get up. Our fitness is good, and our first half was fantastic. I loved seeing some great desperate runs and tackles right to the end. Clisby - probably the best game I've seen him play.

Simon....his card was completely unnecessary, and you could see then that he got into that mood he gets in when he's pissed off and stops caring about the football. I'd really like to see him control his temper and be more of a leader - if he could be an effective VC then that could be so strong. I felt like we were struggling in the 2nd half, not sure what it was but with only 25% possession, it just felt like our midfield went missing and we did nothing but defend.

so, clearly our defence is doing better, but when you defend all half, it's dangerous. That clock passed so goddamn slowly.

Cracker of a goal.

This is going to be a great confidence booster for everybody.

turbo

Haven’t read through the thread and just caught up on the game. Wow, we looked like a proper A league team. We moved the ball around well and the midfield was spectacular. Birraz and backline had a cracker, forwards did what they needed to do.

Nisbet immense again but Bozanic might have popped him for my MOTM.

I wasn’t sure some of our combinations would be up to scratch but so far I’ve been proven wrong and quite happily so. 4-4-2 looks good on us.

Edit: It’s also great to get the win when it felt like we were offered up as a soft game for their first home game similar to WSW homecoming last season.

Last edited:

Ozhammer

Gotta say that was a fabulous away day and worth every minute of the long drive to Campbelltown and back! Gutsy gritty display by the boys to grind out 3 more points and deservedly take top spot on the ladder. The whole team seems so united this season and that is what makes any team better than the sum of its individual parts.

I will be honest and say that my expectations were low this season, as I really couldn’t take another false dawn, so am absolutely pumped for how the boys have started this campaign. I only hope the 16 day break doesn’t upset the momentum but I am certainly going to enjoy it while it lasts! :overheadl:

Forum Phoenix

what i noticed is olli goes to cb when we play out a few times ?
Yeah pretty common, ball playing DM drops back in between the two CB’s to distribute and help foil a press.

Thing is the player can’t panic when they cone at you - which they will - and he doesn’t. Almost listbit once against the jets but recovered well. He’s such a mentally strong and reliable player, fukn love him.

Forum Phoenix

Just back from Campbelltown and what a great win!! The Bulls had plenty of chances but we defended so well, not a poor performance on the field! So good to see DDS get a goal, he needs a confidence boost and that will lift him immeasurably! Ollie is awesome, pure and simple! What a pleasure to have selection headaches in the weeks to come. It’s a shame there’s a break as I hope we do not lose any momentum!

For the football scholars amongst us, WTF with the Bulls keeper living in the midfield for half the game, does he get lonely at the back?

Yeah means they know they have slow centre backs and are worried about the ball in behind.

There are much faster attacking teams than ours in the comp - I’m not actually very impressed by McCarthur. Too slow and simplistic. Looked a better side when the youth came on and they started moving it quicker. Rose is definitely a handful,

onto it

Olli’s leadership and talk is massive and seems to suit Stens a lot better. It’s allowing Stens to be the physical presence to break up play and not have to worry to much about getting the team flowing in attack.
It does, because Stens now only has to worry about doing his job, instead of playing fireman for others.
I am amazed at Olli's energy. I like that leading from the front he does.

At last everyone on the team seems to understand what their job is, and how to do it for the rest of the team. They are starting to gel.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred