• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Regarding the "annoying shirt" caper surrounding World Youth Day......

serious14

I'm sure most of you have read/heard the story about the powers given to police that allow for the potential arrest of persons wearing T-shirts and the like that are classified as "causing annoyance to World Youth Day" pilgrims........

A football related thought on the matter for you all:

Pilgrims (*coughsheep*cough*) from all over the world are coming to Australia for this thing, and no doubt there will be some from Ireland, both North and the Republic of.  Could a random bystander wearing a Glasgow Rangers shirt - be arrested under these laws??    Because to some of these pilgrims in a football sense, the very existence of this shirt could be described as an annoyance at best.

I've read of cases overseas where people have been arrested for 'breaching the peace' by merely wearing a Celtic shirt whilst watching Belfast's Orange March. 

I know it's a long-shot of sorts, but we saw how ridiculously overzealous the police were during APEC....... and I'm quite sure they would use any excuse possible to flaunt their power during this event.

Discuss etc.  :popcorn:

Arabmariner

serious14 said:
I'm sure most of you have read/heard the story about the powers given to police that allow for the potential arrest of persons wearing T-shirts and the like that are classified as "causing annoyance to World Youth Day" pilgrims........

Pilgrims (*coughsheep*cough*) from all over the world are coming to Australia for this thing, and no doubt there will be some from Ireland, both North and the Republic of.  Could a random bystander wearing a Glasgow Rangers shirt - be arrested under these laws??    Because to some of these pilgrims in a football sense, the very existence of this shirt could be described as an annoyance at best.

I've read of cases overseas where people have been arrested for 'breaching the peace' by merely wearing a Celtic shirt whilst watching Belfast's Orange March. 

I know it's a long-shot of sorts, but we saw how ridiculously overzealous the police were during APEC....... and I'm quite sure they would use any excuse possible to flaunt their power during this event.

Discuss etc.  :popcorn:
Wearing a Rangers shirt whilst playing the sash on the flute! :p

skilbeck

serious14 said:

Pilgrims (*coughsheep*cough*) from all over the world are coming to Australia for this thing, and no doubt there will be some from Ireland, both North and the Republic of.  Could a random bystander wearing a Glasgow Rangers shirt - be arrested under these laws??   

I sincerely hope so

adz

Staff member
where's omni these days? I reckon he'd be as happy as a pig in shit with all this world youth day stuff

chris4_gold.gif

kevrenor

Very busy studying.  Not sure why WYD would rock his world, as he is far from Catholic!

What about these regulations eh?  now they have revealed what we knew - they have these shit rules at sporting events - then they try to justify regs for WYD on the back of the other ridiculous regs.

Who votes these f**kwits in? ...........  Oh!

adz said:
where's omni these days? I reckon he'd be as happy as a pig in shit with all this world youth day stuff

skilbeck

In all fairness these laws are a bit draconian. but as someone who at least nominally accepts the catholic faith i would hope that all Australians regardless of religion or political stance shows the pope respect and if there was any reason to believe that the safety of the pope was compromised this may be an issue but i doubt that is the case in Australia. The church has its own teachings just as other religions and if you dont agree with them you dont have to be part of it. As for the Iemma government however they are being complete f*ckwits about the situation and seem to have ulterior motives for the event of clamping down on whatever dissent may occur

Jesus

Jesus
They use anything they can to get rid of rights. But there are rights we have lost due to terror legislation, that i would give this right up for in a second. Not that we will ever get them back.

People should respect it. As well as be happy that people have the right to have a faith. Or not to have a faith. For that reason, everyone should celebrate the visit.

Ranyen

Speaking of Plilgrims:
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=591223

Pilgrims thought Adelaide was in Sydney

An Angolan Catholic bishop and 50 African pilgrims heading for Australia have discovered too late that Adelaide is not a suburb of Sydney.

Angolan Bishop Almeida Kanda, five priests and the pilgrims are heading to Adelaide for Days in the Diocese, a series of events held across the nation in the lead-up to World Youth Day in Sydney.

They have each paid $3,800 to fly to Sydney, believing their onward journey to Adelaide would be a formality.

"The group was told Adelaide was a long way from Sydney, but I think Australia's long distances are sometimes hard to comprehend," Auxiliary Bishop of Adelaide, Greg O'Kelly, said in a statement.

"They thought it might just be an hour or two away."

Bishop O'Kelly said the group was shocked to discover Adelaide was 1,500km and a 20-hour bus ride from Sydney.

Catholics in Adelaide's Croydon Park have been preparing to welcome the Angolan group, with more than 30 families ready to host the pilgrims in their homes.

The extra cost to travel from Sydney to Adelaide, about $400 each, is "well out of their price range".

"So they have asked if there is any way we can help them," Bishop O'Kelly said.

"We're certainly going to do our level best to make sure they get here."

Organisers of Adelaide's World Youth Day and the Croydon Park parish were now trying to raise the $20,000 needed to fund the last leg of the Angolans' journey.

"We have just got to get that money from somewhere," Bishop O'Kelly said.

Pope Benedict XVI will visit Australia for the first time when he attends World Youth Day in Sydney from July 15 to 20.

adz

Staff member
this might help

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=sydney&daddr=adelaide&sll=-25.335448,135.745076&sspn=53.947846,112.148437&ie=UTF8&z=7

dru

Blackadder said:
Hmmm would a I am a Atheist t-shirt be grounds for a arrest?

Only if it was deamed to be annoying or offensive and you failed to comply with an order from an authorised person to remove it.

For a perspective from those serial pranksters check out this smh article by Jullian Morrow.

It's also interesting to note that the rural firies and the ses will note be applying for these powers as they believe them to be over the top.

clarence

Julian Morrow has his own political agenda, being a part of the Chaser team and previously been arrested in the APEC stunt they pulled.

It is very hard to find anyone with an unbiased view of this issue, but the 'laws' were brought in via regulation amendment to an Act, by the minister responsible, and could be challenged by lawyers as exceeding the initial intent of the Act this regulation amendment is made from. Civil Liberties Groups have said as much.

In a debate on this at work today, I was reminded that Sydney has also seen similar, but maybe not as big, events from other Christian denominations. I was reminded of an event over a number of days a few years back at the SFS (Seventh Day Adventists?) and Hillsong type gatherings at the Acer Arena at Olympic Park a while back too (Womens' Conference?). Not to mention previous Papal Visits going back to the 70s.

Would expect the same level of co operation of OUR government if the Islamic Community wanted to host a major event here, & ditto for the Jewish Community.

Jesus

Jesus
Agreed. Or even a big i atheist gathering. The govt should support them all.

The nsw govt is saying the laws are only an extension of the current laws at sporting matches. Nothing new, just taken to a different arena.

FFC Mariner

Slight difference in that your civil rights have been rescinded in the event that you cause "annoyance" to a pilgrim.

Issues:

1) Define annoyance
2) Define pilgrim

Would locals who are RC and annoyed have no grounds to have someone arrested/removed?? or is it only designated "pilgrims" who these rules apply to.

We are a democracy (of sorts) and the right to peaceful protest exists for all. Not in Iemma's NSW and I believe that public protests should be escalated to make their attack on our rights fail.

If causing "annoyance" applies to sporting events, I expect to see most of the scum support up against the wall and shot.

kevrenor

Jesus said:

The nsw govt is saying the laws are only an extension of the current laws at sporting matches. Nothing new, just taken to a different arena.

Yes, very much how these things get out of hand ... stretch the bounds for a single sporting event at a single venue, then more, then more again (eg. Bluetonge on HAL days), then extend to WYD .... they should be shown up now for what they are .... uncontrolled regulations based on a flawed law, that go far beyond what a liberal and multicultural democracy like we have hoped we had should tolerate. 

Jesus

Jesus
kevrenor said:
Jesus said:

Yes, very much how these things get out of hand ... stretch the bounds for a single sporting event at a single venue, then more, then more again (eg. Bluetonge on HAL days), then extend to WYD .... they should be shown up now for what they are .... uncontrolled regulations based on a flawed law, that go far beyond what a liberal and multicultural democracy like we have hoped we had should tolerate. 

Agreed. But since they do not need to tell a lawyer, they could pull you in on trumped up anti-terror charges if they really wanted to. Fact is far greater powers are already around. That they are not being misused, on a large scale anyway, is something that time will no doubt change. You leave that carrot there unchecked, eventually someone is going to take it.

Paolo

as an atheist, can police please arrest all the people attending wyd as their gathering annoys me

kk thanx

tuftman

The federal court today has declared these laws invalid, clearing the way for annoying behaviour to  rain supreme.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred