• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Reffing shockers at CCM games (yeah I know)

Huddo

The question isn't whether it hit the hand. The question is whether it's a foul - and in this case, it's whether the arm was in a natural position for the player's movement.

VAR of course knows it hit the hand - I'd imagine the ref could probably have spotted that as well.

It's not enough to have simply hit the hand and deviated.
This is natural???
Screenshot_20220124-163618_KeepUp.jpg

Huddo

Look it's all semantics, we didn't deserve the win, and I doubt we would have gotten it with the way we were playing.

I appreciate the explanation Gus, I just don't understand and don't think I will ever understand how the four officials can miss something so blatant, and when the idea of using a review system comes up, a review system that is in place to remove such a clear and obvious errors, the rules stipulate it can't be used.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

thanks for that video - I was arguing this on Reddit, so interesting to see this discussion.
I think it's an atrocious decision - though the EPL seems to be close to the AL with VAR shockers.
It's so much not a penalty for me, that if it was given I'd argue that's sufficient for a Clear and Obvious Error!
Attacker takes 2 steps to the right to run into the keeper - he completely comes off his line. VAR has all the time in the world to spot that. None of this bit about the flick-up - that doesn't explain the 2 steps to the right.

No, he knew what he was doing and decided to run straight into the keeper. So if anything he committed the foul (though smart ref goes with GK rather than open up that hornet's nest).

If he was running straight and the keeper collected him - clear penalty - you see those happen often enough.

Can't help but be a little sympathetic to the keeper - you can see he was expecting a chip over him, when that didn't occur he knew he was screwed and tried to pull out of it.

pjennings

Not a ref but my point of view. First thing is I would have said no penalty in real time.

Look at it in real time from the angle they are showing. That opens it up to a penalty. Sure Jota has played at the ball - but the keeper is late. Jota knows he is going to be collected and braces himself for the contact.

At this stage it is with the ref - the VAR has not overturned it. Was the keeper late - yes. Would he have collect Jota if Jota had run straight on - yes. Should Jota be able to brace himself - yes.

Is it clear cut - no. Do I want to be a ref - no.

Last edited:

Kilsin

thanks for that video - I was arguing this on Reddit, so interesting to see this discussion.
I think it's an atrocious decision - though the EPL seems to be close to the AL with VAR shockers.
It's so much not a penalty for me, that if it was given I'd argue that's sufficient for a Clear and Obvious Error!
Attacker takes 2 steps to the right to run into the keeper - he completely comes off his line. VAR has all the time in the world to spot that. None of this bit about the flick-up - that doesn't explain the 2 steps to the right.

No, he knew what he was doing and decided to run straight into the keeper. So if anything he committed the foul (though smart ref goes with GK rather than open up that hornet's nest).

If he was running straight and the keeper collected him - clear penalty - you see those happen often enough.

Can't help but be a little sympathetic to the keeper - you can see he was expecting a chip over him, when that didn't occur he knew he was screwed and tried to pull out of it.
Yeah, my thoughts exactly mate.

Yorkshire Mariners FC

Not sure where to put this. Anyone watching Venezuela v Bolivia? VAR just upgraded a yellow to red for standing on a guy who was rolling after being taken down (by the same player). He did stand on him but he had no idea where the player was landing. The game was already over at 3-1 but just some horrible VAR work.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Not sure where to put this. Anyone watching Venezuela v Bolivia? VAR just upgraded a yellow to red for standing on a guy who was rolling after being taken down (by the same player). He did stand on him but he had no idea where the player was landing. The game was already over at 3-1 but just some horrible VAR work.

Yep, ridiculous.

Looking at the footage of what's shown - there's too much focus on the contact. Whether he stepped on him isn't the issue - it's whether it's VC or not.

Sure, it could be - but the leg came under his foot at the last moment and he wasn't looking. No fault there.

I'm assuming the YC was simply for SPA- Stopping a Promising Attack (in which case, the RC should be in addition to the YC) - because I can't see why you'd caution for the stomp (and even SPA seems a little borderline).

Corsair

Yep, ridiculous.

Looking at the footage of what's shown - there's too much focus on the contact. Whether he stepped on him isn't the issue - it's whether it's VC or not.

Sure, it could be - but the leg came under his foot at the last moment and he wasn't looking. No fault there.

I'm assuming the YC was simply for SPA- Stopping a Promising Attack (in which case, the RC should be in addition to the YC) - because I can't see why you'd caution for the stomp (and even SPA seems a little borderline).
Doesn't even look like it was studs.

Yorkshire Mariners FC

So Middlesbrough had a goal allowed by VAR in the FA cup this morning that was similar to City's goal against us. That it led to Man U getting knocked out made it worthwhile though!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred