• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

R26: Nux vs Mariners

Wombat

We played well.
There was much to like.
Subs should have come earlier, Hutch was a statue after 60 minutes.
Defensively better but still soft and slow to close down.

Roy Law

When Five Minutes Equals Four
To lose any game in the dying seconds is heartbreaking. To lose deep in the fifth minute of the four minutes of time added on is just not right. It could have all been so different if Fitzgerald had been able to score a third after brilliantly beating two men in the penalty area. Two minutes after his shot just missed the post Phoenix scored to change the course of the game. Fitzgerald was the only change; an enforced one with Ferreira injured.
The Mariners were stunning in the first half, taking the game aggressively to the Phoenix; not just pressing high but moving the ball forward quickly and directly. There was composure and purpose about their play. They were good value for the opening goal. A decisive pass by Cernak, a well-timed run by Fitzgerald, who for once kept calm, took his time, and placed the ball past Glen Moss.
On 20 minutes a superb ball from Caceres almost had Cernak in but Boxall saved the day with a great tackle. The Mariners were defending brilliantly, smothering the ball carrier, in particular Nathan Burns; crowding out the Phoenix.
Bosnar made it 2-0, after Kalik was fouled, from a free kick which met no resistance from the Phoenix wall. Cue delight all round for the Mariners’ players. Cernak brilliantly made space down the by-line but no Mariner could quite get the touch to convert.
Reddy saved from Krishna, a strong shot, but regulation for Rocket, as the Phoenix gave notice of what was to come with a barrage of corners. Durante headed against the bar as the Mariners survived the storm.
Tony Walmsley had his serious face on for the start of the second half. Bosnar had another dig from a free kick, but the distance was too far to trouble Moss. Hutchinson got a yellow which seemed more than unfair. A fine move down the right broke down with a tired cross from Caceres, perhaps a sign of what was to come.
Cunningham replaced Krishna; McGlinchey curled a shot just wide. Fitzgerald brilliantly skipped past two defenders in the penalty area but placed his shot inches wide of the far post. At 3-0 Phoenix could not have come back, and the miss was telling, as but two minutes later Bonevacia placed a shot from the edge of the box immaculately past Reddy.
The Mariners were now really under the pump, as legs, young and old, tired in midfield, and the Phoenix poured forward. Simon came on for the willing but battered Kalik but it was to no avail as Cunningham placed the ball home, taking advantage of a fortunate bounce off Montgomery as the Mariners failed to clear the ball.
Liam Rose replaced the exhausted Hutchinson and like his mentor got a yellow card within three minutes for two fouls, and then did a very passable impression of the Hutch disdainful stare. Caceres who also took a kicking throughout the game was replaced by Trifiro who found Cernak with an excellent pass but his cross was too high for Simon. Reddy saved somehow with his feet and Hicks whacked the ball over the bar; it seemed to be the last chance and the Mariners must have thought they had done enough as they entered the fifth minute of time added on. But the referee did not blow for time, he barely looked at his watch, and Cunningham swept home the dramatic winner.
Once again the Mariners played some great football for an hour; once again they faded late in the second half. They have made exciting progress under Walmsley but have much more to do. If he gets the recruitment right in the next few months I have no doubt we fans won’t just be entertained, we will watching the Mariners challenging again for top honours.
In that first hour many players did well; Cernak, Fitzgerald and Caceres caught the eye but for me the two full backs were outstanding with my MoM Josh Rose.

justafan

Initial 45 were of high standard. Alert in defence, solid in the middle and entertaining and effective in the front third. Very pro active mode.
Last 30 of the 2nd half more of the defensive horrors that let us down the whole season. Substitutions should have been made earlier as Hutch was invisible and Cac who imo was bossing everyone in the first period, drifted out of the game. Overall and despite loosing it to the ref's extra minute added(?) of injury time, it's promising what we've been watching since Walmsley has taken over.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

the obvious question is - why the hell was a kiwi ref on a WP match at any point in the season, let alone such an important one for WP?
Stoppage time is an absolute joke the way it's applied anyway, it's completely random and has no actual reflection upon what happened in the game.

This incident reminds me of the BR-CCM GF - BR made 2 separate substitutions during stoppage time and not a second was add

Anyway, don't really care about the result at this part of the season. I just love how we're playing at the moment. Actually gives me some optimism for next season.

ccf

Sorry Capn but according to your theory then who isgoing to ref all the australian games.....as a ref that is a ridiculous statement to make.

AuzDutchy

Its an Australian competition, therefore should only have Australian referees.

Do Welsh referees take charge of all of Cardiffs games played in the English league?

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Not at all. Pretty sure their rules used to prevent this kind of potential conflict of interest. It would be more akin to, say, a Qld ref doing BR v PG (BTW: O'Leary is from Wellington). Their rules initially prevented this kind of appearance of a conflict of interest.
Not accusing O'Leary of doing anything underhand, just that the FFA should be trying to prevent these sorts of things. when a match is decided in these circumstances, it just looks bad (not saying it necessarily is).
Reminds me of the uproar when Gillett's girlfriend was found to be working with BR or something like that in that controversial grand final.

Last edited:

Wombat

A few thoughts on last nights game.

The Ref and one of the linesmen were heavily biased towards the Nix.
Their back four hacked the life out of Kallick and Caceras with impunity. As soon as we give a little bit back they are writhing on the floor and the yellow cards starts appearing.
I would also like to hear from the Ref and FFA about the mysterious extra minute.....it was very Shields and Breeze like.

Our shape, considering we dont have a proper centre forward is much better and Walmsley allows the fullbacks to attack down the flanks like we used to.

Reddy.....another top game. Two superb saves and gave an annoying kiwi a love tap.
Roux.....we are much better balanced when he is in the side. Pretty good game but still a tad to slow to close down.
Rose...pretty solid. Would have liked to have seen him on the inside of his player when they got the lucky bounce off Monty.
Ando...not terrible but like Storm too slow to close down. Needs to become more desperate. Small things win you games.
Bosnar.....probably his best game of the season. Worked hard and linked well with the midfield.
Fitzy......great finish and nearly won us the game. Reasonable.
Cernak.....some great work and set up the first goal. Faded out in the second half.
Caceras.....gave the ball away alot but looked real quality on occassions. Faded out.
Hutcho.....started ok but really looked like a 35yo and was gone around the 50min mark.
Monty....decent, some quality quick ball.
Kallic.....very impressive. This kid looks a excellent find.

nearlyyellow

A few thoughts on last nights game.

The Ref and one of the linesmen were heavily biased towards the Nix.
Their back four hacked the life out of Kallick and Caceras with impunity. As soon as we give a little bit back they are writhing on the floor and the yellow cards starts appearing.
I would also like to hear from the Ref and FFA about the mysterious extra minute.....it was very Shields and Breeze like.

Our shape, considering we dont have a proper centre forward is much better and Walmsley allows the fullbacks to attack down the flanks like we used to.

Reddy.....another top game. Two superb saves and gave an annoying kiwi a love tap.
Roux.....we are much better balanced when he is in the side. Pretty good game but still a tad to slow to close down.
Rose...pretty solid. Would have liked to have seen him on the inside of his player when they got the lucky bounce off Monty.
Ando...not terrible but like Storm too slow to close down. Needs to become more desperate. Small things win you games.
Bosnar.....probably his best game of the season. Worked hard and linked well with the midfield.
Fitzy......great finish and nearly won us the game. Reasonable.
Cernak.....some great work and set up the first goal. Faded out in the second half.
Caceras.....gave the ball away alot but looked real quality on occassions. Faded out.
Hutcho.....started ok but really looked like a 35yo and was gone around the 50min mark.
Monty....decent, some quality quick ball.
Kallic.....very impressive. This kid looks a excellent find.
So overall not a bad report card coming from you Wombat ;) The Ref, yes, even the terribly biased Kiwi commentators were puzzled at first when time went over, until Nux scored that is. Going down and clutching at an extremity to get a penalty is an absolute blight on the game, I've said it before, football will never attract new fans, conversions from other codes, until this is fixed. If you go down for more than a few seconds to rub, massage the affected area then you should get off and play should resume immediately without you. Having the offending team a man short would soon get the pretenders into line. :tinfoilhat:

true believer

this was the key not having a defender to come on at this time was the game .
I still believe they were VERY lucky to even get a point .

Wombat

Cost me big time I had us at 5.2-1 for the win. I recouped my cash on Bling v Scum (but only just!).

Wombat

Hutcho was on a walkabout as well. Trying to support the attack. Still it's a good lesson for inexperienced managers as they tend to make the changes too late.

Gratis

Newly appointed Central Coast Mariners coach Tony Walmsley was philosophical after
watching his side give up a two-goal lead to lose 3-2 to the Phoenix in Wellington.
MATCH REPORT: Wellington Phoenix v Central Coast Mariners
An injury time goal from substitute Kenny Cunningham denied the Mariners a share of
the points in a game they led 2-0 going into the final 25 minutes.
“You feel for the players because they’re obviously devastated”, said Walmsley.
“It’s too soon to reflect on what went wrong but obviously with and without the ball in
the second half, we had problems. At no time did we want to be sitting as deep as we
were. We’re trying to play a proactive, higher line and press earlier and we knew from
the first half, they work very well in midfield to get numerical superiority around the ball
so it’s important that the extra man goes in to make up the numbers.”
“If you don’t get it right they can come tearing at you. They’ve got some good players
and they did that very well.”
But Walmsley praised the character of his squad who are playing for little more than
pride in the final few games of the season.
“I don’t think there’s ever nothing to play for. They’re professional sportsmen. They’ve
got a real appetite to be challenged. They’re in a development phase and under a new
manager so there’s plenty for them to go out and try to work on.”
“Getting them up for games is really not an issue. The biggest challenge will be
developing a level of sophistication in how we keep the ball. In that situation, there was
never an intention to shut up shop and defend the lead but what we needed to be was
bold in possession and try to run them out of steam, but it wasn’t to be.”
HIGHLIGHTS: Wellington Phoenix v Central Coast Mariners
Walmsley singled out teenaged striker Anthony Kalik for special praise.
“He played without fear. He’s seventeen years old, but he’s got pace, he’s got an intent
to drive at defenders and put himself into goalscoring opportunities. At training he’s
been fantastic as well. Without a recognised and fully fit number nine we’ve tried a
couple of people there and he’s done really well.”
The Mariners wrap their season away to Melbourne Victory next Sunday.
http://www.a-league.com.au/article/...l-coasts-character/1e1lh69twpyxl13odk7113sz13

Wombat

I've stopped betting on games with ccm in them .

First time I have backed us all year.
I could smell a small upset.
The boys gave me a good sight and when we nearly went 3.0 I was already spending the cash.

Just needs Souths to get the chocolates against Cronulla and I'll be nicely in front.

kevrenor

Just released by the MRP:

In or around the 64thminute of Central Coast Mariners’ match against Wellington Phoenix on Friday 17 April 2015 an incident involving Liam Reddy(Central Coast Mariners). The Player has been cited for the incident and a show cause notice has been issued (theNotice). The Player has until 12:00pm Tuesday, 21 April 2015 to make submissions in response to the Notice. The MRP will reconvene tomorrow afternoon to consider the Citation Incident and any submissions filed by the Player.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred