• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Preview: Mariners to tackle improved Phoenix outfit

JamesH

Another quick write up for you guys.

Mariners to tackle improved Phoenix outfit

By James Heffield, Betfair soccer bet journalist

The Central Coast Mariners will face a much improved Phoenix side in Wellington on Sunday as they begin their 2008 pre-season cup campaign.

The match, which is expected to draw a sizeable crowd, will be a significant challenge for the Mariners after their recent 2-1 loss to the New Zealand Under-23 Olympic football team.

Mariners' coach Lawrie McKinna said the team was starting to gel and they were expecting a tough match on Sunday.

"Last year we always had hard games against Wellington, especially going over there, they have a great supporter base, there is a great atmosphere and well be expecting the same on Sunday. Obviously its not the be all and end all if we dont win the pre-season cup, but we want to be competitive in every game, so well be going into Sundays game wanting to get fitness out of it, but obviously wanting to win," McKinna said.

The Phoenix have significantly strengthened their defence since last season, with the signing of Andrew Durante, from the Newcastle Jets, Jon McKain, from Romanian club FC Timişoara, and Ben Sigmund, from Auckland City. Chinese player Leilei Gao has joined the Phoenixs midfield, along with former Perth Glory wide midfielder Leo Bertos, former Newcastle Jets midfielder Troy Hearfield and former Mariners player Adam Kwaznik.

The Phoenix finished at the bottom of the table last season but they were competitive in most of their matches and the new signings should tighten up their leaky defence and allow them to continue to play an attacking style of football.

New Mariners signing Ahmad Elrich said he was looking forward to testing himself against his former Wellington team mates. Elrich was signed by the Phoenix as their inaugural marquee player last season and started in most of the teams matches.

Itll be good to catch up with the boys, Im going back to play in familiar territory and Im looking forward to it, Elrich said. Theyve got a lot of new players in, itll be a totally different squad to last year and they have got quality players there, its going to be tough, but an enjoyable game for us.

Meanwhile, the other two teams in the Mariners group for the start of the pre-season cup, Queensland Roar and Sydney FC, will face off in Sydney tomorrow. The Mariners first home game of the pre-season cup is against Sydney FC on July 27.

Central Coast Mariners squad:
2. Andre Gumprecht, 5. Bradley Porter, 7. John Hutchinson, 8. Dean Heffernan, 10. Adrian Caceres, 11. Dylan Macallister, 15. Andrew Clark, 17. Matthew Osman, 18. Alex Wilkinson, 20. Danny Vukovic (gk), 21. Ahmad Elrich, 22. Sasho Petrovski, 24. David D'Apuzzo, 25. Nik Mrdja, 30. Andrew Redmayne (gk)

Wellington Phoenix squad:
1. Mark Paston (gk), 3. Tony Lochhead, 4. Jon McKain, 5. Karl Dodd, 7. Leo Bertos, 8, Vaughan Coveny, 9. Shane Smeltz, 10. Michael Ferrente, 11. Daniel, 12. Richard Johnson, 13. Troy Hearfield, 17. Vince Lia, 18. Ben Sigmund, 19. Greg Draper, 20. Glen Moss (gk), 21. Leilei Gao, 23. Costa Barbarouses, 24. Andrew Durante(captain), 27. Adam Kwasnik (four to be omitted).

JamesH

Cheers. The forum seems to change some of the "s" letters to "$" signs. It has done the same in previous stories where I have mentioned Kwasnik and Aloisi as well. No idea why... I assume it's something to do with the coding.

Atomic

I was expecting to read more on the Kwasnik / Elrich swap. It is a tastey little tit-bit to the game.

JamesH

It's a bit too dangerous to write too much about Kwasnik in these forums I find. A bit like mentioning World War 2 in Germany!

adz

Staff member
Kwasnik is in the "swear filters" along with Aloisi, Muscat, f**k etc.... ;D

grecquemariner

Did anyone else see an optical illusion in that report.
For a minute there i thought i read Nik Mrdja and then i realised it must have been fake.
Wait no, there it is again. Could this be true? Could he see the pitch? 

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred