• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Pre-season trial games

Alicia

Central Coast Mariners
Media Release
Tuesday, 15 July

Tough encounter just the tonic for solid Mariners

The Central Coast Mariners preparations for the 2008 Pre-Season Cup were advanced considerably after todays tough workout against the Beijing-bound New Zealand Under 23s at Knox Grammar School, where the visiting Kiwis claimed a hard fought 2-1 victory.

Two first half goals from set pieces saw the New Zealanders go to the break with a two-goal advantage, before Dylan Macallister responded for the Mariners with his sixth goal of the pre-season trial match program in the 73rd minute.

The tenacious Olywhites were determined and strong in the challenge from the opening whistle and truly provided the stern test that Lawrie McKinnas charges were after with the 2008 Pre-Season Cup set to kick off in five days time.

The Mariners gritty performance was not so much represented by the score line, but by the overwhelming positives that were so easy to find come the final whistle.

Matthew Osman started his first match since suffering a season-ending knee injury in October of last year at his preferred position on the right side of defence, while left sided counterpart Dean Heffernan again emerged unscathed after his second start in four days.

Nik Mrdja made his second cameo of the pre-season off the bench and showcased some encouraging touches in the final stages, while Adrian Caceres completed his biggest share of match time since joining the club from the Melbourne Victory three weeks ago.

Qantas Under 23s Nigel Boogaard and Matt Simon each started and each underlined their value to the Mariners season four tilt with promising displays, while the Mariners general second half showing against a battle hardened and super fit New Zealand side was most noteworthy.

"It was good to have a good hit out against the New Zealand Under 23s, theyre a good team and they knock the ball around well," said Mariners captain John Hutchinson, who again wore the armband in the absence injured regular skipper Alex Wilkinson.

"The boys gave their all and it was another good workout as we build up to the start of the season.

"The combinations are starting to come from Elrich, Caceres and the other new boys in the team as well, which is great as we look ahead to season four."

For the first time this pre-season, the Mariners started the match with a full complement of players that have been signed up for the Hyundai A-League 2008/09 season.

The Mariners midfield was arguably at full strength, with season three standouts Mile Jedinak and Hutchinson starting in the centre and flanked by new recruits Caceres and Ahmad Elrich.

In defence, Osman made his first start of the pre-season at right back, alongside Nigel Boogaard and Andrew Clark in the centre and Heffernan on the left.

Up front, Qantas Under 23s squad member Simon was given a chance with fellow youth international Macalllister, each of whom had contributed hat tricks to the Mariners extensive pre-season campaign previously.

Macallisters strike came about after some neat work on the right wing by Elrich, who again delivered a performance that continued his vast improvement since linking with the Mariners from the Wellington Phoenix.

Elrich supplied a precise low cross that was first controlled and then dispatched into the roof of the net by Macallister, whose goal saw him top the Mariners pre-season trial match goal tally with six, ahead of Sasho Petrovskis four and three each to Jedinak and Simon.

Petrovski had the best chance to equalise for the Mariners in the final minute when latching onto Hutchinsons cross from the left wing, only to skew his acrobatic header marginally over the crossbar.

Todays fixture brought to an end the Mariners most exhaustive pre-season preparation program to date a trial match list that took the Mariners to Rockhampton, Mackay, the nations capital and several regions south of the Central Coast.

An estimated 15,000 spectators were treated to an exhibition from the reigning Hyundai A-League Premiers in such time, while 42 players were utilised by the yellow and navy over the course of ten games.

"I think were very battle hardened, the boys got stuck in today and everyone is working very hard," said Hutchinson.

"Ten games is what we needed to give ourselves a good shot at a good start to the season, because as weve seen before, teams that start well often win the Premiership.

"The boys are buzzing, its great for the season to be coming around again and were starting as Premiers, so everyone is going to be out to beat us, but we want to keep our title as Premiers and go one better in the Grand Final."

The Mariners are now bound for the New Zealand capital, where they will play the Wellington Phoenix in the opening round of the 2008 Pre-Season Cup at Westpac Stadium on Sunday, 20 July. Kick off is at 2pm AEST.

Upon their return from Wellington, the Mariners 2008 Pre-Season Cup campaign will continue at Bluetongue Stadium against Sydney FC on Sunday, 27 July. Kick off is at 3pm.

Tickets are on sale now from any Ticketek outlet, from the Ticketek website www.ticketek.com.au, or via phone on 132 849.

Mariners Memberships for the Hyundai A-League 2008/09 season are now on sale at www.ccmariners.com.au.

Match Details

Central Coast Mariners 30. Andrew Redmayne (gk), 2. Matt Simon (22. Sasho Petrovski 46), 7. John Hutchinson, 8. Dean Heffernan (12. David DApuzzo 46), 10. Adrian Caceres (19. Luke Walker 71), 15. Andrew Clark, 16. Nigel Boogaard (4. Matt Wilkinson 76), 17. Matthew Osman (6. Andre Gumprecht 46), 21. Ahmad Elrich, 23. Mile Jedinak, 27. Dylan Macallister (9. Nik Mrdja 80)

Yellow Cards Simon 37, Elrich 69
Red Cards None
Goals Macallister 73

New Zealand Under 23s 1. Jacob Spoonley (gk), 2. Aaron Scott, 3. Ian Hogg, 4. Cole Peverley, 5. Michael Boxall, 6. Steven Old, 7. Cole Tinkler, 8. Shaun Van Rooyen, 9. Jeremy Brockie, 10. Daniel Ellensohn, 13. Craig Henderson

Substitutes 11. Sam Jenkins, 12. Hone Fowler, 14. Joel Mathews, 15. Sam Messam, 17. Jack Pelter, 20. Liam Little (gk)

Yellow Cards None
Red Cards None
Goals 20, 40

Referee Matthew Gillett

Jules

Thanks for this Alicia.  I could've sworn someone on the bench got a card and we thought it was Vukes - happy to be wrong on that. :)

Doesn't mention who scored the supposed own goal.

It was certainly a tough match but hey, that's what the team needs right now.

Bear

Gee, I dunno what game some of you were watching (especially that official report  :-\) but here goes...

Redders had his worst game so far, yet only made 1 real mistake (second goal was low and hard almost straight at him, hands down, ball keeps going after hits hands and in) otherwise he drops nothing from crosses and commanded his area well

Ozzie had a solid game, looks to have shaken the injury

Clarky played average, but was hardly "incompetent" as suggested.

Boogs and Heff were average

Elrich and Hutch are the only 2 players to have started every pre season game, Hutch was ok, passing needed work, but Elrich.... I dont know. His touch is 1st class, but he just dose not look interested at times. Rarely contests headers, rarely tracks back, at one stage passed straight to the other team, and had a cry to someone  :-\ dont know whats up, hope Lawrie can sort him out

Mile, god. Had an average 1st half, but was so solid at CB in the 2nd half he would put most HAL CB's to shame

Caceres was ok in parts, disapeared in 2nd half

Matty Simon played poor. Heaps of heart and ticka, but did very little

Macallister is not "slow" in any way as someone said. For his size he is a speed machine. And he is so often in the right position he dose not neeed to run much. Great touch, he adds so much class to the team. GOD i hope he gets good service this year (his goal was a tap in, but he controled so he could tap in with his right foot, and a defender got back in that time, could have been comical)

Of the subs, Gumps was a standout in the 2nd half. Never stopped running or talking, and didnt pull out of any challenges ;)

Bear

The 1st goal was a scramble in the box, Clarke I think just missed a clearance header, ball came off 3 mariners and a kiwi and in, could not say who it came off

And Danny DID get a card on the bench, 100% sure of it, obviously the ref didnt enter it in his report tho

Razorback

Elrich was clearly frustrated at the effort of his team mates, baring the jedi I comment I believe that you were watching the game through rose coloured glasses. Clark average is a massive over statement. I understand that you love the foundation players from our club but you need a clear and honest perspective when commenting on the performance of certain players. Furthermore the fact that Macca needed a second touch for a tap in just proves my point that he is slow although I could clearly see the effort that he was putting in,

marinermick

Razorback said:
Elrich was clearly frustrated at the effort of his team mates, baring the jedi I comment I believe that you were watching the game through rose coloured glasses. Clark average is a massive over statement. I understand that you love the foundation players from our club but you need a clear and honest perspective when commenting on the performance of certain players. Furthermore the fact that Macca needed a second touch for a tap in just proves my point that he is slow although I could clearly see the effort that he was putting in,

don't poke the bear

Bear

Think what you want Razorback, if you knew me you would know I call a spade a spade. We were piss pore as a whole, no doubt about that at all, but dont believe the players your talking about were as bad as you are saying.

Elrich is always frustrated. If you reckon he was frustrated with the players around him, maybe he should look at himself first.

marinersman

Alicia said:
brennan said:
who scored for us?

read above posts.

Dylan Macallister scored off and Elrich corner

I told you all the other day that Dylan would cop Elrich's balls on his giant melon via the box. But no, you guys had to reduce it to smut. Shame on you. I'm sure your mothers did their best to raise good sons. I don't blame them at all for the way you've turned out. :piralaugh: :piralaugh:

kevrenor

Another on the spot report:
http://spirit.webcity.com.au/AFN/2007-2008/O6/KNOX-CCvsOW.htm

Use the NZ Soccer link also to access their own report as already posted earlier

Central Coast Mariners FC 1
(Dylan Macallister 73')
lost to
New Zealand U23 (Oly-Whites) 2
(og 20', Daniel Ellensohn 40')

As a public relations and community event it was a definite hit; but as a spectacle Central Coast Mariners' Tuesday afternoon ground-breaking match at Knox Grammar School against the New Zealand Olympic team was far from awe-inspiring.

The rugby posts had been removed - which is more than you can say for certain matches in the NSW upper divisions over the years - and the ground at the traditional rugby stronghold wore football posts and nets for the first time, but the pitch was poor and the Kiwis would have been better suited to the uneven bounce, probably, coming from a rugby union-adoring nation.

The Kiwis, decked in Knox blue rather than white for the occasion, and fresh from a very worthy 2-3 loss to the Olyroos three days earlier, were by far the more cohesive of the two teams and were good value for their 2-0 half time lead.

They took the lead with an own goal, following a corner in the 20th minute, which the Mariners' defence had failed to clear and then struggled to negate the hungry Kiwi strikers bent on making any connection at all with the ball and forcing it into the net.

In the end it looked as if the ball came off the head of Mariners' skipper John Hutchinson who was clearly the standout man in the Central Coast side, despite his unavoidable error in this instance.

Hutchinson supplied the cross in the 31st minute that Mile Jedinak nodded wide in one of the rare first half Mariners' chances.

Then the New Zealanders grabbed a second goal, moments before the break, when a free kick from wide on the right by Daniel Ellensohn slipped through the fingers of Mariners' keeper Andrew Redmayne.

It was, however, a far more purposeful Central Coast that emerged after the break.

In the 73rd minute Hutchinson picked out Ahmad Elrich, wide on the right, and the former Wellington Phoenix and Fulham winger sent over a nice cross for Dylan Macallister to tap home at the far post when the defence could not reach the ball first in a well-manned goalmouth.

The Kiwis had their chance to restore their two goal advantage in the 78th but, after good work from Brockie, Ellensohn could only find the right hand upright.

The NZ keeper then saved well from Macallister near the end to preserve his team's 2-1 advantage.

"As a fitness exercise it was useful," said Mariners' coach Lawrie McKinna, "but the pitch was very bumpy and my main concern was that the players came through the game without any injuries."

Regular skipper Alex Wilkinson and Greg Owens missed the match through injury and were also without the services of the suspended Brad Porter.

This was the first ever match at the prestigious North Shore private school which does now have a football team playing in the schools competition and the staging of the historic game was largely down to Master in Charge of Football, Stephen Roche, who explained that the school is gradually giving greater recognition to the round ball game.

Roche has been three years in the post and was understandably proud to see the Knox name associated with the A League. "We have two private grounds where our school plays its football matches in schools competitions, but the staging of an Under Nine's match and then the Central Coast trial match was the first time we had been able to get rectangular posts onto this field in the long history of the school."

So on the sun-drenched lawns of a Sydney Greater Public School junior (U9's early game) and high level football had been enjoyed by an appreciative crowd on an historic day.

In other news the Oly-Whites fly to Jakarta early on Wednesday where matches against clubs sides PSMS Medan (July 20) and Persija (July 26) sandwich a clash against the Indonesian national team on July 24.

Former Fulham midfielder Simon Elliot is the first over-age player to join the squad on July 18, with Celtic striker Chris Killen arriving in Jakarta on July 23. Ryan Nelsen meets the side in Beijing.

The Mariners coincidentally fly to Wellington, NZ, to take on Wellington Phoenix next Sunday in the initial HAL Pre-season Cup game.

Pre-Season Trial
3pm, Tuesday 15 July 2008
at Knox Grammar School, Warrawee

Central Coast Mariners FC 1
(Dylan Macallister 73')
lost to
New Zealand U23 (Oly-Whites) 2
(og 20', Daniel Ellensohn 40')

Crowd: 750 est. (Knox blue much in evidence)

MATCH STATS:

Central Coast Mariners FC :
      Player listing:
      Andrew Redmayne (gk), Andrew Clark, Nigel Boogaard (Matt Wilkinson +76'), Dean Heffernan (David D'Apuzzo +70'), Matthew Osman (Andre Gumprecht +46'), Mile Jedinak, John Hutchinson (c), Adrian Caceras (Luke Walker 71), Ahmad Elrich, Matt Simon (Sasho Petrovski +46'), (Dylan Macallister (Nick Mrdja +80')
      Substitutes not used: Nil

Coach: Lawrie McKinna

Yellow Cards: David D'Apuzzo (CCM) 59'Matt Simon (CCM) 37'
      Red Cards: Nil

New Zealand Oly-Whites :
      Player listing:
      Jacob Spoonley (gk) Aaron Scott, Ian Hogg (Jack Pelter +46'), Cole Tinkler (Sam Jenkins +71') , Cole Peverley, Stephen Old (c) (Sam Messam +61'), Michael Boxhall, Shaun Van Rooyen (Joel Mathews +46') , Craig Henderson, Daniel Ellensohn, Jeremy Brockie
      Substitutes not used: Liam Little (gk), Hone Fowler

Coach: Stu Jacobs

Yellow Cards: Nil
      Red Cards: Nil

Referee: Matthew Gillett 6/10
      Assistants: Joel Petrovic and Nick Backo

Pitch rating: 4/10

Game rating: 6/10

Match Report by Paul Green at Warrawee

bikinigirl

Jocwa08 said:
marinermick said:
Jocwa08 said:
im confused, did danny get a card or not and will that effect his ban ??

no, it won't

red cards will affect his ban

. i am still very worried (and no I wasn't at the game)

. if dez geraldi can (rightly) cop criticism for his comical yellow on the bench last year, surely vukovic should cop a more than a few rockets for his yes/no/maybe yellow

. yes i know it has been a terrible, traumatic time for him - but a yellow card for dissent(?) on the bench, during a trial match .... he obviously still has too much anger in his system. i am concerned he has not really learnt that much from the whole experience and we may see more problems caused by his hot-head

FFC Mariner

Simon Elliott would be a brilliant acquisition for us if we could get him, dont think he has a euro club yet............

My 2 cents from the game yesterday...

We looked quite ordinary in the front third, and vulnerable at the back at times. The 2 goals against us were lucky at best, with the second being a poor mistake by Redmayne. That said New Zealand had some good chances to score, but Redmayne made a couple of good saves.

Dylan McAlister looked good again. Holds the ball up well, and makes himself available. Matt Simon was poor, and the combination between the 2 was non-existent (hopefully never to be seen again). Both players are too alike, with McAlister being superior. To be fair to Matty he had poor service and got quite frustrated in the process.

Elrich.... Some good touches and a few nice balls, mixed with Laziness a tap in he blasted over the bar, abusive towards his team mates and a lack of effort. Think I hate him already. Really doesn't fit the ethos of the team

Caceras looked like he'd never played with the boys before (understandable)

The pairing of Jedinak and Hutcho could be our downfall. Not\ creativity and we spent the first half hoofing the ball long hoping McAlister or Simon could do something with it. We looked far better once Gumpy came on and gave us some options in the middle. Jedinak was immense as always despite making some fairly basic mistakes. Looked very classy as a CB.

Boogard had a poor game as did clarky and heff. Osman was class, can't wait to see him back to full fitness. Heff was replaced at halftime bu D'Apuzzo and he was equally as bad.

All in all a poor performance. Hopefully we can get things on track over in Wellington on the weekend. We look like were going to struggle for goals due to our lack of creativity. I think we have some decent personal up front, but we need to get some quality service to them. Interesting times...

loyalist

Aden said:
who is simon elliot cant say ive heard of him
kiwi international
spent the majority of his career in the usa but was recently at fulham for a few years but had some bad luck with injuries though they released him at the end of the season

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred