• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Popa to Crystal Palace as Assistant Coach

midfielder

HHHHHHHHHHHMmmmmmmmmmmm according to the OZ this is a first ... good luck and could be the making of the next Aussie born Socceroo coach...

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/crystal-palace-appoints-popovic/story-fn6aue9t-1226000461411

FORMER Socceroo and Sydney FC assistant coach Tony Popovic sees his appointment to the English Championship struggler Crystal Palace as a stepping stone to one day managing a Premier League club.

Popovic announced yesterday he was quitting the Sky Blues to link with Doug Freedman as assistant manager at the south London club on a 2 1/2-year deal.

The lanky former defender is going back to a club he once captained during a five-year stint.

He becomes the first home-grown product to go on and coach in the English game.

Former Sydney FC assistant Ian Crook enjoyed a brief spell as an assistant at championship promotional hopeful Norwich City, but he was English-born.

Popovic, 37, who earned 58 senior caps for the Socceroos and is a product of southwest Sydney club Sydney United in the old NSL, joins the Palace coaching staff where former Socceroo coach Terry Venables had two spells in charge from 1976-80 and again in 1998-99.

"It was always a dream of mine to coach in Europe," Popovic told The Weekend Australian.

"I played alongside Doug (Freedman) and was flattered when he asked me to join his coaching staff.

"Our aim is to stay up, with the Eagles currently struggling in 21st place, one above relegation from the championship.

"It was great to have been given the captain's armband when I was at Selhurst Park. Now the job will be (to help the club stay up).

"I've had a great journey as a player and enjoyed my time working alongside Vitezslav Lavicka since retiring.

"Now my goal is to become a coach at the highest level of the game."

Popovic had been tipped to take over at Sydney, at least temporarily, had head coach Lavicka been sacked after a horror run.

But Lavicka has turned the Sky Blues' fortunes around with a late-season run of good results which has them on the cusp of qualifying for the finals.

"Tony Popovic is one of Australia's most talented up-and-coming coaches, which has been clearly recognised by Crystal Palace," Sydney FC vice-chairman Scott Barlow said in a statement.

Popovic played 123 games for Crystal Palace between 2001 and 2006.

He returned to the A-League in 2007, joining Sydney FC where he immediately was installed as captain. After 19 appearances he announced his retirement before taking an assistant coaching role with Sydney FC, a position he has held since.

"This is too great an opportunity to knock back," he said of the new appointment. "It will help me further enhance my skill set as I work towards becoming the best coach I can be."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred