• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Pim's growing on me

midfielder

Interesting article in the smh today about Pim offering A-League coaches to come and watch .........and...........comment on his training.

Its good to see a national coach being so openly willing to improve (if that is the right word) our coaching ranks.

As I said he is starting to grow on me and if he wins some games ..........(jury still out in that department)...........it appears FL made an excellent choice....................OK OK still early days...............but signs are encouraging.........now he needs to beat China ............

Anyway to the article.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/football/verbeek-open-to-coaching-coaches/2008/03/14/1205472086224.html

Verbeek open to coaching coaches

March 15, 2008

SOCCEROOS coach Pim Verbeek has opened the door for leading A-League coaches to learn from him during this year's World Cup campaign, but coach of the year Gary van Egmond doesn't necessarily have the inside running.

Van Egmond's success in guiding Newcastle Jets to a maiden championship has earned widespread acclaim, and the former Socceroos defender has made no secret of his ambition to take the helm of the national team.

"Of course I'd love to coach Australia one day," van Egmond said after last month's grand final victory. "There's no greater honour, whether you're a player, coach, or even administrator, than representing your country. One day if that was the case, I'd like to do it. It's not like I've just come on the scene. I've been coaching for approximately 10 years, doing my apprenticeship, in the vein of a Craig Bellamy, who did all that time under Wayne Bennett. I feel I've done it the right way."

But while Verbeek admits he was intrigued by van Egmond's strategies during the grand final win over the Mariners, he believes success doesn't necessarily make him a better coach than his peers.

Asked whether there was scope for local coaches to come into the Socceroos fold, Verbeek replied: "Nothing is impossible it is worth to think about. OK, you have to ask if it's only Gary van Egmond because he's winning the league. Why not Dave Mitchell? Or [Aurelio] Vidmar, because they're all young, talented and ambitious. So I'm not picking a coach, or thinking about a coach, just because he's winning the league it's also coaches who don't win the championships, who don't get results. I am 25 years in coaching, I know you are not just a good coach because of your results. You are a good coach also if you have good training sessions, good ideas, good vision, you change tactics at the right moment.

"If I have to say anything about Gary, it's that he changed his team for the [grand] final in several positions, and I think that is quite risky, because normally you don't do that so easily in football. Tactically, he took a risk, but he did very well. So things like that are important to me."

Verbeek leaves for Asia on Monday to count down the preparation for the next World Cup qualifier against China, but after the match in Kunming on March 26, there is a gap of two months before the Socceroos are next in action. That gives Verbeek the time and opportunity to build on his relationship with local coaches - a process that started with a brief meeting the day after the grand final.

"I have said from the start I am willing to help the A-League, to help the coaches, and that is true," he said. "I don't need coaches on the field at this moment, because I have Henk [Duut], I have 'Arnie' [Graham Arnold]. That's more than enough. But there is never a problem for coaches to join and see training sessions and talk if they have an idea. My sessions, there is always a vision behind them. The best way is to have meetings with coaches. You can learn a lot from that.

"It's one of the reasons I decided to be assistant coach to [Guus] Hiddink after 12 years. If you can work with a well-known, high-profile coach like Hiddink, you can pick up things you might not have seen, or thought about.

"So if coaches are interested, they know they can always come [to training]. They can always call If they want to come and join me in the training, they are welcome, and they know that."

S

soccersensei

Thanks for that Midfielder. It must be contagious, because he's growing on me too.
I think he's a truth speaker who has little concern for what others think of him and is not interested in the pursuit of his own ego.

:goodpost:

FFC Mariner

I knew he was the right man for the job when he dropped the sackwhacker. Obviously a good judge of humans who employs a no DH policy.

serious14

I heart Pim.  He doesn't take shit from anyone, he loves the sexy futbol, doesn't pander to the Australian media, sees the value in preparation, and has a damn good eye for talent.  Not to mention these two crackers from Total Football:

"I did not pick Griffiths because at the moment I believe I have the better strikers available in Kennedy and McDonald".

"I cannot ever pick the player (Musialik) who does not inform the coach he is not going to show up - and as far as I'm concerned, this is worse than what our friend Vukovic did".

Those are always winning statements for me.  ;D

MattSimon

Has anyone noticed that we seem to love following Korea when it comes to coaches?
- Hiddink
- Advocaat (almost)
- Pimmy

You gotta love the Pim

serious14

At least we're not taking their leaders from the North.  Although the way K-Rudd is going......  :p

T

thanman

i liked his response on total football where harper asked him "does missing the ilyroo matach against mexico hinder musalik's chances of being selected again for the national team?"

verbreek: "yes" *shrugs* "nothing more to say there"

classic stupid yes/no q's harper :p

Sean

I yelled out of the Rolls-Royce i was in at Pimm the other day at Nielsen Park, Vaucluse and he stopped and gave me a big wave..

stoked.

~Floss~

Perm said:
I yelled out of the Rolls-Royce i was in at Pimm the other day at Nielsen Park, Vaucluse and he stopped and gave me a big wave..

stoked.
he must have assumed you were somebody

midfielder

Pim played an excellent game both on and off the field today.

All week he kept saying we are going to attack, score goals, nick a win, so they kept two players at the back all night very clever, even had Lucas Neil saying similar things befor the match.

Then played 3 - 6 - 1, closed and controlled the midfield, played MB as a left LFB, very impressive as I said in the post on if we should go French or Dutch, .............my comment Frank Lowy choose well in Guss, ...............lost on Arnie.................but Frank had both files and I assume he made the calls for references..............and I said in Frank I trust to pick the right man

Lets be grateful SBS no longer run football ..............they would have gone French.

Love to hear Fozzie & Robbie Haterrrrrrrrr talk there way out of this.

In closing thanks FL you have given us excellent coach who lives here goes to A-League matches, speaks his mind, trains up and coming A-League players, has offered to assist our A-League coaches, has the support of the players.

MattSimon

Due respect to Pim. He was pretty much down and out with gastro after that dodgy McFeast value meal but he pushed through it and never even tried to use it as an excuse. Pure professionalism.

T

thanman

He's a great person to interview.
He lives up to his honesty motto ofsaying what he himself, needs to be said.

Even though I support England, I go for Australia if its not against us ;) So here's somewell worth it compliments
But seriously Pim has a great style of coaching and is a great manager, Australia should go real far this world cup campaign. :)
Thompson seemed on fire to me until he was injured in the 6th minute or so..
And apart from Schwarzer and his awesome save, I thought Wilkshire was one of the best players out on the park.. as he was in practically anyones face.. AND the dangerous tackle made on him should have been red carded.. which Pim fired up about.. considering he's usually calm about everything.. and it was right in front of team benches.. idiot chinese..
good work guys. :)

S

soccersensei

What were your thoughts on Englands friendly (besides the obvious "bloody shite etc etc... stuff") Ohhhh and errrrrr....being that I'm on topic of course...ummmmm....maybe you could use PIM like phrasing to keep it kinda on topic? ;D  :innocent:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred