• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Palmer ruining the face of football

midfielder

goingtoadisco said:
Jazzie said:
dru said:
Jazzie said:
The problem I have with the issue of capping seat sales, is that it's not going to promote "going to the game". Punters who for what ever reason decide on the fly to go at the last minute will probably stay at home and watch it on TV, or go elsewhere. Not a good image for the HAL.
Yeah but we have the same problem with Con, It is their team and they are the only ones that matter to them. I'm sure palmer wouldn't care if he had a pitch with his coporate box and 200 whacky wavy inflattible tube men lining the other side of his pitch for the team to play on.

Yeah, grand being mega rich, isn't it?

GCU_WHICHY_WACKY2.jpg

Clive Palmer look Alike

http://www.handoftartarus.com/img/bucket/cartmanland.jpg

Jazzie

Sheer joy at beating the scum :)
midfielder said:
goingtoadisco said:
Jazzie said:
dru said:
Jazzie said:
The problem I have with the issue of capping seat sales, is that it's not going to promote "going to the game". Punters who for what ever reason decide on the fly to go at the last minute will probably stay at home and watch it on TV, or go elsewhere. Not a good image for the HAL.
Yeah but we have the same problem with Con, It is their team and they are the only ones that matter to them. I'm sure palmer wouldn't care if he had a pitch with his coporate box and 200 whacky wavy inflattible tube men lining the other side of his pitch for the team to play on.

Yeah, grand being mega rich, isn't it?

Clive Palmer look Alike

http://www.handoftartarus.com/img/bucket/cartmanland.jpg

LOL

soundsdifferent

bloggo said:
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25954683-23215,00.html

He should be promoting the team and lowering prices in my view. The high prices are ridiculous for what is on offer. Going to the first A-league Grand Final will cost me less then going to a game up there and getting crappy seats.

the games only cost $2 more than ours for the cheapest seats, as they dont charge a $2 booking fee, like ours

FFC Mariner

curious said:
dru said:
Probably is and probably going to drive ticket sales for this weekend but when has that ever stopped something from being discussed on here?
Is the pope a catholic?

Fairly confident its a core competency of getting the job. no doubt resident left footers will confirm?

Forum Phoenix

Git.

Your valued at 63 billion dollars, ffs just bank roll your club for the first year you stingy ego head - providing discount tickets and mass give aways to build your crowds and then reap the benefits in your following years. This guy loves attention and simply cannot stand the idea of failure in any regard and will go into fight over anything at all it's feeling like.
Obviously not confident in drawing crowds... which is a fail... So will pre empt, attack and blame... Guys a tosser, sooner the unbeaten GCU lose the better for all.

curious

Forum Phoenix said:
Git.

Your valued at 63 billion dollars, ffs just bank roll your club for the first year you stingy ego head - providing discount tickets and mass give aways to build your crowds and then reap the benefits in your following years. This guy loves attention and simply cannot stand the idea of failure in any regard and will go into fight over anything at all it's feeling like.
Obviously not confident in drawing crowds... which is a fail... So will pre empt, attack and blame... Guys a tosser, sooner the unbeaten GCU lose the better for all.
You forgot a decimal point there FP.

If a new club stacked with name players, one of the best current socceroos in his prime, private jets, deeper pockets than all other clubs combined, months of media attention and razzmatazz leading up to their first home game against a team that includeds a big name EPL player, is a fail, and lack confidence of drawing future crowds is a also a fail, then it's also a fail for football and destructive to future investment prospects.

I'm hoping they are very sucessful  and think the importance of that happening is underestimated. How foolish the aleague will look if with all the bling possible, it doesn't. I think they will do just fine given time, as Gold Coast sporting fans are slow starters and have never supported sport to the level of Brisbane, regardless of their teams on field success.

Jazzie

curious said:
Forum Phoenix said:
Git.

You forgot a decimal point there FP.

If a new club stacked with name players, one of the best current socceroos in his prime, private jets, deeper pockets than all other clubs combined, months of media attention and razzmatazz leading up to their first home game against a team that includeds a big name EPL player, is a fail, and lack confidence of drawing future crowds is a also a fail, then it's also a fail for football and destructive to future investment prospects.

I'm hoping they are very sucessful  and think the importance of that happening is underestimated. How foolish the aleague will look if with all the bling possible, it doesn't. I think they will do just fine given time, as Gold Coast sporting fans are slow starters and have never supported sport to the level of Brisbane, regardless of their teams on field success.

I have a feeling that a fair whack of their fan base will not come from the Gold Coast area (in the beginning). Fans will be attracted by individual players. However I agree that the club must do well, for the reasons you have outlined.

David Votoupal

Palmer has ensured that GCU have replaced SFC as the "bling" club of the league, and this time people aren't falling for it.

The bling bling mentality is part of the whole mentality that led to the current economic crisis. It's socially irresponsible too.

Jazzie

David Votoupal said:
Palmer has ensured that GCU have replaced SFC as the "bling" club of the league, and this time people aren't falling for it.

The bling bling mentality is part of the whole mentality that led to the current economic crisis. It's socially irresponsible too.

Agree entirely .... however can't see it happening here. We don't have the hearts and minds of the general population, neither do AFL, Rugby or League, as in, say UK. for that matter. No clubs here will go down the ridiculous player payment mayhem allowed to fester OS, clubs here just haven't got the money or supporter base.

dibo

David Votoupal said:

Eh? Unlike most of the dodgy players he's actually looking to ensure his bottom line doesn't blow out completely. Instead of playing tricky accounting games like Lehmann Bros and so on, he's falling for the sort of accounting logic most 12 year olds would see past.

I'd argue that he should be willing to run a negative balance sheet for a few seasons to allow the brand to build (like every other HAL club has done from startup), but after doing the right thing and going for a strong initial spend he's now trying to hold the budget tight and if he's successful in his bid to cap capacity he will severely limit future growth.

It's like being willing to lay out the money to build a new factory with 4 production lines but being so stunned at the cost of turning them on that he's only willing to use one. He should have had this all sussed before he came in.

curious

David Votoupal said:

They didn't turn out in big numbers for the first game because they aren't falling for the bling?

What is socially irresponsible?

clarence

curious said:
David Votoupal said:
What is socially irresponsible?

The buy now, pay later ...... maybe?, mentality that drove the economy into the global financial crisis, perhaps?

Although comparing Palmer with the drug addicted single parent living in downtown Chicago with a mortgage but no job, is stretching it a bit.  ;) ;D

If all else fails, Palmer is just as likely to pack it all up and pay everybody off and be done with it. The real worry is whether other A-League clubs will feel obliged to match his largesse but not having the wealth behind them to maintain that level of opulence.

curious

I have never believed in adding weight to the saddle to bring a leader back to the field for the purpose of allowing the strugglers to keep up and maintaining the status quo. Raise the bar and encourage others to improve their standards, don't trim the neighbours tall poppy garden because you're envious of his green thumb.

Since we have began to learn how "threatening" GCU look like being, I've seen more reasons given as to why Clive is bad for the league, than Andy Harper clichs.

marinermick

curious said:
I have never believed in adding weight to the saddle to bring a leader back to the field for the purpose of allowing the strugglers to keep up and maintaining the status quo. Raise the bar and encourage others to improve their standards, don't trim the neighbours tall poppys because you're envious of his green thumb.

This theory never worked in the old NSL and won't work in the A-League.

Too many clubs went broke in the NSL paying excessive wages which inflated wages and admin costs and hammered the bottom line of the other clubs.

I would hate to see a situation like the EPL where only a small handful of clubs can ever win the competition.

curious

We didn't have a salary cap in the NSL mick. We didn't have checks and balances. The cap has and will continue to be kept at a level considered financially reasonable. I do not propose an open cheque book policy and never would.
GCU have spent no more than anyone else on all but a single player. I suppose we could make it illegal to fly by private aircraft, but that may make us look rather petty.

Forum Phoenix

Hmmm, Curious, I'd like to be clear on one thing - I have no problem with GCU at all apart from wanting the Mariners to beat them of course ;D. I think Miron has done a terrific job and that they looking to be a fantastic team that will as in imo it already has, continue to help lift the league, how could you think otherwise?

Certainly never stated that...

"A new club stacked with name players, one of the best current socceroos in his prime, private jets, deeper pockets than all other clubs combined, months of media attention and razzmatazz leading up to their first home game against a team that includeds a big name EPL player, is a fail..."

This is quite simply about Palmer... if my post is taken in context...

This is not a case of tall poppy. Success and skill I appreciate. But bragging and continually trying to throw your weight around Im definitely not a fan of and I question what drives it...

Honestly unless Plamers actions and words are being grossly misquoted by the press - which is possible I guess - but otherwise he sincerely looks to be a GIT.

Surely you have to agree with Dibo Curious? Building your brand through your fans is paramount.

Clive seems happy to do it in other areas, but the with crowds/fans which has to be one of the most important aspects he's taking a stand a drawing in the purse strings?? The richest man in Australia?? I just can't understand his reasoning except that it looks like he's trying to throw his weight around... yet again... or hide the fact that it might take them a little time to build a supporter base that can rival most of the other teams level of current support. My point is that he strikes me as a man who can't seem to bare being second best in any regard... and so instead of accepting things as they are and not being phased whether his ticket sales match the considerable achievements of his team as yet, he instead goes on the attack yet again... certainly has a history of this in only a short time...
So therefore my reasoning is...
Clive = Git.

Not to be confused with... can't stand a winning team so will bag at any opportunity.

*Mutters quietly*

Stupid @$##%%$ GCU... 9 points... @$$##% upstarts....

:innocent:
;)

curious

Forum Phoenix link=topic=4028.msg115754#msg115754 date=1251041610]
Hmmm, Curious, I'd like to be clear on one thing - I have no problem with GCU at all apart from wanting the Mariners to beat them of course ;D. I think Miron has done a terrific job and that they looking to be a fantastic team that will as in imo it already has, continue to help lift the league, how could you think otherwise?
Ahhh. FP......it's a failing of human nature that some will allow envy to cloud clear thinking.  The numerous comments on forums and news media comments sections  display it in plain english. I would hope most don't.
This is quite simply about Palmer... if my post is taken in context...

This is not a case of tall poppy. Success and skill I appreciate. But bragging and continually trying to throw your weight around Im definitely not a fan of and I question what drives it...
The bragging is silly and gets people off side. Probably including his own players who could do without the unnecessary extra pressure. Throwing his weight around, (excuse the analogy) if directed correctly can help improve the league. An example is his threats re- the judiciary. The FFA system is not transparent and is arbitrary. The reveiw committee enforces suspensions without a hearing or the allowance of a defence. He is pushing for a citing system where players are called before a hearing.  The same panel that's metered out an arbitrary decision, mans the appeals tribunal, not a different appeals panel manned by others, as is the norm for natural justice. To overturn on appeal, one has to rely on men contridicting their own previous decision. Certainly a highly unusual interpretation of justice, against accepted principles of natural justice and transparency. If by using his considerable political clout and deep pockets he can force change to the FFA's historicaly stubborn attitude towards answerability, I'm all for it. Though he does need to be careful not to throw the baby out with the bath water.
Honestly unless Plamers actions and words are being grossly misquoted by the press - which is possible I guess - but otherwise he sincerely looks to be a GIT.
Now, here is my problem. Football supporters are notorious for taking the tiniest titbit of insinuation or rumour, running with it as factual & shooting from the hip without a hint of questioning the truth of the matter or it's rationale. Unless of course, it's perceived as negative to football, then it will be said to be drivel and
quickly discounted as rubbish without substance. Human nature again.

When I first read of the "understanding" that Clive intended to limit ticket sales to 5k, I did a seach to find quotes, sources and anything else to hint at the truth. I couldn't find anything other than an original article copied by some other outlets, stating an "understands". Nothing to confirm a threat and certainly nothing to confirm a threat to be carried out.

Then i wondered what would be in it for Clive. What could be the rationale in limiting ticket sales to 5k? The down side would most certainly be alienation for years into the future of the supporters he's reliant on for viability, probable long term damage to a very large investment, destruction of the possability of a return on his investment, surety of a very large and ongoing financial crutch and unlimited damage to his personal standing in Queensland. The up side? I can't think of one, unless we think he would be willing to do all of the damage above, just to prove a politcal point regarding an unwinable arguement about a transport tax. An arguement he would be only too aware of the chances of winning as a former back room head of the Country party, in a Labor state. Possible a threat has been leaked to a journo for political purposes? Maybe, seeing as no club rep was asked to confirm or deny, which is a little sus.  Probable it would eventuate? Highly unlikey. He has a big mouth, but he hasn't made his billions through stupid business decisions or a lack of nous and forethought. I've heard nothing more about it since last week, but the proof will be in the pudding when the the tickets go on sale for the next home game.
Surely you have to agree with Dibo Curious? Building your brand through your fans is paramount.
Of course I agree and I'd imagine, so would Clive.
Clive seems happy to do it in other areas, but the with crowds/fans which has to be one of the most important aspects he's taking a stand a drawing in the purse strings?? The richest man in Australia?? I just can't understand his reasoning except that it looks like he's trying to throw his weight around...
Again, that's my point. There isn't any rational reasoning. BTW.... According to BRW's 2009 rich list,
1. Anthony Pratt, $4.3 billion, Visy Industries
2. Frank Lowy, $4.2 billion, Westfield Shopping Centers
3. Harry Triguboff, $3.66 billion, Meriton Apartments
4. Gina Rinehart, $3.47 billion, Hancock Prospecting
5. Clive Palmer, $3.42 billion, Resource Development International

But what's a billion or two between friends?

clarence

Now, if the FFA could get Gina Rinehart involved with Perth Glory, Harry Triguboff to fund the Western Sydney syndicate and Pratt to fund the second Melbourne bid, we'd be the wealthiest oligarchy of sport in Australia!  ;D

Jazzie

clarence said:
Now, if the FFA could get Gina Rinehart involved with Perth Glory, Harry Triguboff to fund the Western Sydney syndicate and Pratt to fund the second Melbourne bid, we'd be the wealthiest oligarchy of sport in Australia!  ;D

oligarch ... thought you had to be Russian to be one of them ...  lol, and I don't think Gina knows what a football is.  :D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred