• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Palmer ruining the face of football

curious

I failed to add that the Courier Mail broke the story. The Telegraph's sister News Limited ( Ethically Limited News) publication in Brisbane.

Forum Phoenix

curious said:
Forum Phoenix link=topic=4028.msg115754#msg115754 date=1251041610]
Hmmm, Curious, I'd like to be clear on one thing - I have no problem with GCU at all apart from wanting the Mariners to beat them of course ;D. I think Miron has done a terrific job and that they looking to be a fantastic team that will as in imo it already has, continue to help lift the league, how could you think otherwise?
Ahhh. FP......it's a failing of human nature that some will allow envy to cloud clear thinking.  The numerous comments on forums and news media comments sections  display it in plain english. I would hope most don't.
This is quite simply about Palmer... if my post is taken in context...

This is not a case of tall poppy. Success and skill I appreciate. But bragging and continually trying to throw your weight around Im definitely not a fan of and I question what drives it...
The bragging is silly and gets people off side. Probably including his own players who could do without the unnecessary extra pressure. Throwing his weight around, (excuse the analogy) if directed correctly can help improve the league. An example is his threats re- the judiciary. The FFA system is not transparent and is arbitrary. The reveiw committee enforces suspensions without a hearing or the allowance of a defence. He is pushing for a citing system where players are called before a hearing.  The same panel that's metered out an arbitrary decision, mans the appeals tribunal, not a different appeals panel manned by others, as is the norm for natural justice. To overturn on appeal, one has to rely on men contridicting their own previous decision. Certainly a highly unusual interpretation of justice, against accepted principles of natural justice and transparency. If by using his considerable political clout and deep pockets he can force change to the FFA's historicaly stubborn attitude towards answerability, I'm all for it. Though he does need to be careful not to throw the baby out with the bath water.
Honestly unless Plamers actions and words are being grossly misquoted by the press - which is possible I guess - but otherwise he sincerely looks to be a GIT.
Now, here is my problem. Football supporters are notorious for taking the tiniest titbit of insinuation or rumour, running with it as factual & shooting from the hip without a hint of questioning the truth of the matter or it's rationale. Unless of course, it's perceived as negative to football, then it will be said to be drivel and
quickly discounted as rubbish without substance. Human nature again.

When I first read of the "understanding" that Clive intended to limit ticket sales to 5k, I did a seach to find quotes, sources and anything else to hint at the truth. I couldn't find anything other than an original article copied by some other outlets, stating an "understands". Nothing to confirm a threat and certainly nothing to confirm a threat to be carried out.

Then i wondered what would be in it for Clive. What could be the rationale in limiting ticket sales to 5k? The down side would most certainly be alienation for years into the future of the supporters he's reliant on for viability, probable long term damage to a very large investment, destruction of the possability of a return on his investment, surety of a very large and ongoing financial crutch and unlimited damage to his personal standing in Queensland. The up side? I can't think of one, unless we think he would be willing to do all of the damage above, just to prove a politcal point regarding an unwinable arguement about a transport tax. An arguement he would be only too aware of the chances of winning as a former back room head of the Country party, in a Labor state. Possible a threat has been leaked to a journo for political purposes? Maybe, seeing as no club rep was asked to confirm or deny, which is a little sus.  Probable it would eventuate? Highly unlikey. He has a big mouth, but he hasn't made his billions through stupid business decisions or a lack of nous and forethought. I've heard nothing more about it since last week, but the proof will be in the pudding when the the tickets go on sale for the next home game.
Surely you have to agree with Dibo Curious? Building your brand through your fans is paramount.
Of course I agree and I'd imagine, so would Clive.
Clive seems happy to do it in other areas, but the with crowds/fans which has to be one of the most important aspects he's taking a stand a drawing in the purse strings?? The richest man in Australia?? I just can't understand his reasoning except that it looks like he's trying to throw his weight around...
Again, that's my point. There isn't any rational reasoning. BTW.... According to BRW's 2009 rich list,
1. Anthony Pratt, $4.3 billion, Visy Industries
2. Frank Lowy, $4.2 billion, Westfield Shopping Centers
3. Harry Triguboff, $3.66 billion, Meriton Apartments
4. Gina Rinehart, $3.47 billion, Hancock Prospecting
5. Clive Palmer, $3.42 billion, Resource Development International

But what's a billion or two between friends?

Sir, I like the cut of your jib. 
And I concede that your reasoning that Clive actually has no reasoning is potentially quite a strong reasoning for the idea that Clive is being misquoted in a most unreasonable way...
:tophat:

But come on... he still has a very git-esque air about him doesn't he?
  :-*

On net worth, the papers reported a 6 "POINT" 3 billion worth for him...
so I took them at their word...
:ashamed:

Re Courier sister to Terrorgraph...
*shudders* It's like discovering that Damien has a twin...

:vomit:

curious

Forum Phoenix

And I concede that your reasoning that Clive actually has no reasoning is potentially quite a strong reasoning for the idea that Clive is being misquoted in a most unreasonable way...
:tophat:

Reasonably said.
But come on... he still has a very git-esque air about him doesn't he?
  :-*
That he does. He does it well too. LIke a nerd with the smarts.  :innocent: On face value, a facade for the purposes of a means to an end, well practiced with a life in the dog eat dog world of dirty back room politics and the aggressive tactical manoeuvring of successful international business. A very polished speaker with an appearance that's fooled people for years. His politcal ideals are way too 'Conservative Queenslandish' for me by the way, but that's another story. One that Dibo would have a view or two about.  :popcorn:
On net worth, the papers reported a 6 "POINT" 3 billion worth for him...
so I took them at their word...
:ashamed:
I've seen the same in the papers and I don't know how they do their maths, but I'd tend to think BRW know their business. Excuse the pun.
Re Courier sister to Terrorgraph...
*shudders* It's like discovering that Damien has a twin...
:vomit:
Not a pleasant thought eh. One is one too many.

LFCMariners

Does anybody else think GCU have surpassed Sydney FC as the "bling" of the A-League? Not just their playing roster and Clive Palmer pumping his money into them, but I mean, they're from the Gold Coast. Bling capital of Australia!

midfielder

Anyone watch last night .. I did ... my God Clive is fat ... I thought it was positive for football .... but the guy is now worth 12 billion and is the nation riches person...

Jazzie

Sheer joy at beating the scum :)
LiverpoolMariners said:
Does anybody else think GCU have surpassed Sydney FC as the "bling" of the A-League? Not just their playing roster and Clive Palmer pumping his money into them, but I mean, they're from the Gold Coast. Bling capital of Australia!

Yes, I do. Sydney is beginning to look a tad tatty ..... have lost the "Aura", imo. GCU blings it over them handsdown

dibo

Jazzie said:
LiverpoolMariners said:

Yes, I do. Sydney is beginning to look a tad tatty ..... have lost the "Aura", imo. GCU blings it over them handsdown

Meanwhile Sydney have the highest paid player in the league and the only remaining undefeated record...

clarence

goingtoadisco said:
I thought Culina was the highest paid ?

Could well be, but reluctant to 'leak' the magic figure to all and sundry like those in the Aloisi camp did.

clarence

marinermick said:
culina 2.3mil over three seasons

Aloi$i $4.2 mil over three seasons

I thought Aloi$i was $1.4m per season over two seasons?

And I now recall Jason saying it was more about wanting to get back to Australia than the money. Although you tend to be quite cynical about the comments players make when they sign up for a club.

marinermick

clarence said:
marinermick said:
culina 2.3mil over three seasons

Aloi$i $4.2 mil over three seasons

i may be wrong but thought it was three

I thought Aloi$i was $1.4m per season over two seasons?

And I now recall Jason saying it was more about wanting to get back to Australia than the money. Although you tend to be quite cynical about the comments players make when they sign up for a club.

mariners4ever

midfielder said:
Anyone watch last night .. I did ... my God Clive is fat ... I thought it was positive for football .... but the guy is now worth 12 billion and is the nation riches person...

yep sure did, very positive for the game and hopefully see of this positive stuff on FTA

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred