• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

OLYPMIC OVER AGE PLAYERS

marc

As most of you would be aware, the Olyroos are heading to the bejing olympics later on this year.

With this U/23's format they are allowed to have 3 over age players included in the squad.

Simple question;

In a perfect world, which 3 over age players would you include in the squad and play at the olympics?

Think about weak area's of the olyroos team. Personally i'd include a wing back, a midfielder and a striker.

Goal Keeping position is very safe (Danny), and the defence didn't conceed any goals during qualifying so that is pretty solid aswell.

In a perfect world i would take Emerton, Cahill and Macdonald.

S

soccersensei

In this perfect world...
I'd take Kewell, Cahill & Emerton ;)

ryan

I would not take any over age players. The lads have done the hard work through the qualifiers and the Olympics is a tournament for them to gain further experience on a big stage. I see it as groundwork for the next generation of Socceroos

kevrenor

marc said:
Simple question; In a perfect world, which 3 over age players would you include in the squad and play at the olympics?

I wouldn't take anyone ... they've done the 14 or so hard games to get there, and as a team. If we haven't got 22 x U23 in Australian football to do the job we aren't getting there yet. What I would hope for is them to be injury free - esp. Burns, Djite, Williams etc.

marc

i know what you are saying, in regards to the players deserving the places and doing the hardslog and good work of qualifying. but, on the other hand, why would you disadvantage the team when in medal contention? every other team will be taking 3 world class over age players (juan roman riquelme is going for agentina) as well as the fact that the U23's will be gaining invaluble experience by playing along side our more experiened and talented over age players. it's a disadvantage in someways, but a major advantage in others. both valid arguments though.

marc

i'm not sure, i remember in 2000 they had Paul Okon, Mark Viduka and Stan Lazaridis as the 3 over age players.. i can't remember who was in 2004.

ryan

The Olyroos will all be better for playing against these players. If other countries want to take over age players that is fine for them but this campaign has long term objectives that are far greater than the possibility of winning a medal. The Olympics is small fry compared to the World Cup and that is what we should be building this team for. This is the time for the players to step up and make their mark.

serious14

Harry Kewell (he's not exactly busy)
Nick Carle
Michael Beauchamp

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

midfielder

kevrenor said:
marc said:
Simple question; In a perfect world, which 3 over age players would you include in the squad and play at the olympics?

I wouldn't take anyone ... they've done the 14 or so hard games to get there, and as a team. If we haven't got 22 x U23 in Australian football to do the job we aren't getting there yet. What I would hope for is them to be injury free - esp. Burns, Djite, Williams etc.

Agree with kev

brett

I would send Beauchamp and Carle type players who are slightly more senior but very much in a development stage still themselves if they are to be 1st XI players in 2010.

I do believe serious14 nicked my 3.

serious14

brett said:
I would send Beauchamp and Carle type players who are slightly more senior but very much in a development stage still themselves if they are to be 1st XI players in 2010.

I do believe serious14 nicked my 3.

I do believe that in our drunken state the other night we came to this agreement at the same time.  That's how I remember it anyway.  :p

Kareem

hmm...I think Kewell would be too busy impressing his new club? (considering he looks to be moving on). Maybe look at a GK if no Vukovic?
Beuchamp and Carle seem like good choices...i dont like our midfield (as opposed to attack and defence)...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred