• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Objectively are the Central Coast Mariners or Newcastle Jets more Succesful as a football club?

shipwreck

With the approach of the F3 derby this question popped into my mind, we have a fierce rivalry and for some reason hating the Jets seems to be embedded in all mariners fans since their first game, I myself am no exception!

Now personally I feel we are a more successful football club, but I am obviously blinded by hatred, so I ask fellow supporters to put in their two cents and weight up if we deserve to call ourselves the better team.

Which team is objectively better?

:piano:

Forum Phoenix

I don't need my yellow glasses for this one.

Better team?
You only have to look at the table.
And have we ever spooned?
Jets have won a post season cup.
We have won a pre season cup and finished as the top team in Australia after a full season of football - something the Jets are yet to do.

Better Coach?
Culina is a whiny nob always making excuses. GA refuses too and his side is playing much better football and is sitting far higher on the table.

Better club?
They nearly folded completely this season.
But we also have better infrastructure. Management. Global ties. Long term vision and Stadium with a COE on the way! And we draw similar crowds with a smaller population.

This all equals...

CCMariners MUCH >>>>>>>>>>>>> Newcastle Jets

Their only real saving grace now is Tinkler's wealth and community spirit. Which is considerable and wIth Con gone they will now finally be able to build towards becoming a great club.

We however, are already WELL on our way.
:tophat:

nero

Until we win a GF or the jets win a premiership(LOL), there is no real comparison. Though I rate the premiership as a bigger achievement, the Bogans would never agree seeing they know the premiership is unreachable with Culina or until Tinkler opens his fat pocket.
Mariners have never been spooned, never been close to bankrupt or had shite marquees. But the Jets have won one more than us in the head to head comparison. Go figure!

furns

Good points, we have suffered from Cons lack of investment in infrastructure and short-sightedness not to build us for the long term, which Tinkler and Edwards now seem prepared to do.
Premiership vs Championship debate is only going to go on and on.
One thing I would say in our favour is if we make the 6 this season the Jets will become the first Australian club to make 5 A-League finals series, that shows consistency in finishing high up the table. The only time we failed to make the finals was when we finished last. This is dependent on Sydney not making the finals however as we have currently the same number of finals appearances.

See you sunday.

Deej

In all fairness good points from furns.

Mariners certainly have invested in youth, community and long term stability. We've got our links with Sheffield United, building (hopefully) the COE, have some good young players and are not scared to give them game time, plus we work very hard at sponsorship and connecting with the people of the coast. I still think we could do more here, we still only get that core 6-7,000 except for NYE! People of the coast have plenty of Mariner merchandise but don't go to all the games!

The debate of premiership vs Championship will always go on, Australian sporting culture is playing a grand final to determine the winner, where as in many other countries it's the team who finishes top of the league after the season. Being English I prefer to finish top after the whole season and to win the post season cup is a bonus. That said, to be the "the champion" you need to win the toilet seat. I wonder of some people might think differently if we come second and go on to win the GF?

If Tinkler and Edwards are prepared to do the work they will do well, I think off the field Mariners have the upper hand with the work we've put in. Newcastle over the next few years can certainly improve here, they've got the base of people there! On the field I think Newcastle probably have been more successful if I'm being honest, qualified for all but 1 finals as furns said, won it once, did better than us in Asia and were only beaten to a premiership (by us) by 1 goal. Mariners have won a premiership, who cares for the pre-season cup, we've qualified for 2 grand finals sure but lost both and have made 3 (soon to be 4) finals series. We've been reasonably successful but Jets probably just shade it IMHO. However, depending on what happens this season could alter that :)

LFCMariners

There are two major factors in this debate, for mine:

1. The Mariners have never spooned.

2. The Mariners are far better run, with a much more solid administration.

These two reasons cause me to give the Mariners the nod, plus we have won a trophy more internationally recognised than the Jetscum have. I mean c'mon, Grand Finals in football are like pineapple on pizza!

Redshirt

Head to Head: 5-7-5 after tonights game I think

In terms of the A-League i'd say Mariners based on our stability... Newcastle seem to have chopped and changed themselves, what are they on their 4th manager in 6 seasons? Mariners are on their second manager (who has stayed with the club too) and have seemed to fly under the radar in terms of negative publicity and laid the grounds for their future.

Overall though, Newcastle have been around 6 years before the Mariners have and had a few successful years in the NSL before it finished.. and their crowds are generally better too

I'll say.... Mariners but the Jets have had a few more years than us to etch their name into the local community

LFCMariners

But have they etched their name into the local community? The impression I get is that while the Mariners have wider community support, the Jets only appeal to a certain demographic of Novocastrians.

Redshirt

But have they etched their name into the local community? The impression I get is that while the Mariners have wider community support, the Jets only appeal to a certain demographic of Novocastrians.

No... they've had a few more years than us to etch their name into the local community. As in, they have twice the amount of history to their club than we have. Taking nothing away from the phenomenal work the Mariners have done for the Coast though.

Wombat

Obviously The Mariners pawn The Scum.

We are what every club aspires to be. They are a joke.
A Shit team with shit support from a derelict City.
Also the most obnoxious supporters in Australia.

I'll paraphrase the great Roy Chubby Brown..... "Basically, They are c**ts".

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred