• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

NRL Clubs on death row: Gallop

Sean

Clubs on death row: Gallop

May 21, 2008

NRL boss David Gallop has stunned the league world by revealing several Sydney clubs are on death row.

With the city at fever pitch ahead of the Origin opener at ANZ Stadium, Gallop delivered the sobering news that Sydney can no longer support nine teams under the current economic and political climate.

Tuesday's meeting of all 16 club CEOs was presented with depressing figures that illustrate the receding bottom lines of leagues clubs.

The NSW Government's 40 per cent poker machine tax and the introduction of smoking bans has led to a 10 percent decay in revenue across all NRL-aligned clubs this financial year. Chillingly, last month's earnings were down 14 per cent on those recorded for April 2007.

Rising taxes and shrinking revenues have crunched outfits that are traditionally reliant on leagues club grants to survive.

After farewelling $2million from their grant this year, St George Illawarra are bracing for another painful cut in 2009. Parramatta and Penrith are both eying $500,000 cuts, as are the Roosters.

Having fielded wholesale concerns at the meeting, Gallop emerged with a firm belief the situation is "nearing crisis point".

"The message is coming through in no uncertain terms that some Sydney clubs will die if things don't change," Gallop said.

"It's a matter that has been raised on any number of occasions but we are fast approaching a time when government needs to confront just how severe the situation is becoming."

Although Gallop didn't name the clubs most at risk, it is believed the NRL holds grave concerns over the sustainability of St George Illawarra, Cronulla and Penrith.

It has been nearly a year since Gallop appealed in writing to NSW premier and Dragons fan Morris Iemma about the issue.

NRL insiders claim Iemma's office has been silent ever since, although Parramatta boss Denis Fitzgerald has spoken to his deputy John Watkins.

All Sydney-based NRL bosses held a preliminary meeting about the pokies tax at Canterbury Leagues Club on Monday morning to thrash out a relief package.

Their suggestions will be parlayed into a landmark summit of all NSW-based leagues clubs on Friday, to be hosted by Parramatta.

It is understood the clubs will approach the government for a partial rebate based on charter spending, including football club grants.

Iemma is in China this week and does not return until Friday. With no guarantees, Sydney clubs discussed alternative means of raising money and cutting costs to alleviate the black hole.

Moving more games to the Central Coast's Bluetongue Stadium - which offers attractive hiring terms - appears to be one of the most popular options.

Sydney clubs have also discussed moving home games against Queensland-based sides to Suncorp Stadium, with the Bulldogs agreeing to play the Cowboys in Brisbane later this year.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Why do the dragons get the power-hungry tards supporting them?

Howard....Iemma.......No wonder we're such a shit team when we've got those clowns supporting us, the bad karma owed them is obviously rubbing off on the team.

I outlined in the Cowboys - Manly thread some of the problems - major loss of club spirit through playing, what seems like, 19 games out of 20 at Homebush (Hey Gallop - Neutral territory blows!).

Merchandise is ridiculously overpriced (how much are jerseys now - $170?  And how many new bloody jerseys does each team release each year?), and I don't know what the sales of that is like these days...

Maybe teams should hold sausage sizzles?  Or get the players to walk around with those boxes of giant freddos and caramello koalas?

midfielder

What is interesting if you read the sub text of Gallop is saying. Look professional football lleague with 500 million TV contract over five years plus spondsors and national TV supported by News limited ........... Australia's biggest media company ............. wants more money from pokies.

Now the tax revenue is higher than before .......... it is just ............. league want more, or gov to get less. So tax collected for bridge, road, school equipment, X-Ray machine , train etc ............ no this money is needed for league.

Cry, sob, ........... maybe this is clever BS by media company owning NRL to get government to give money to league, but in underhand way, so no one can see amount, just a reduction in tax % collected.

My arse I hope Gov stands its ground.

serious14

67 000 crowd at the "Origin" tonight.

Absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt, beyond laughably pathetic.  "Biggest sports event in Australia" my arse. Hang your heads in shame NRL........ or just f*ck off and die already.  Either one suits me just fine.

Arabmariner

serious14 said:
67 000 crowd at the "Origin" tonight.

Absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt, beyond laughably pathetic.   "Biggest sports event in Australia" my arse. Hang your heads in shame NRL........ or just f*ck off and die already.   Either one suits me just fine.
And how many of the 67,000 were give aways.Radio stations in Sydney were giving freebies away left ,right and centre today.

FFC Mariner

Sounds fair to me, lets get the "working persons game" to be allowed to milk gambling revenue from the public of NSW to spunk on over hyped players to visit said gambling dens at 4am and get into trouble??

Best asset for the FFA is Gallop - the man is an utter tool.

67,000 people to their showcase??

Jesus

Jesus
67000 is embarressing for such a over-hyped game.
All you heard yesterday was SOO. SOO!
If they cant fill the stadium with blanket coverage...

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
67,000 showed up ....BUT.....how many shelled out dosh for the overpriced bits of paper to get in????

FFC Mariner

I thought the coverage was shit, Ch9 really have no idea about bringing the atmosphere of the game to the viewer. They turn down the crowd mic's for some reason so you get no sense of involvement.

Breaking for ads mid game is just a disgrace.

Jesus

Jesus
dibo said:
all the same, i bet the tv ratings were spectacular
Apparently 2millionish. With qld ratings lower than expected.
I dont know, but thought their GF got around 3.5ish, and would have expected origin similar

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred