• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

News: New Mariners signings have big shoes to fill

JamesH

Thought I'd write up a news article for your site. I'm guessing this is the best place to post it (no news page on here).

New Mariners signings have big shoes to fill

By James Heffield, Betfair journalist

As the fourth A-League season draws near, Central Coast Mariners management will be pondering whether their off-season signings will be enough to carry the team through to another A-League final.

The Mariners have a good record in the last few A-League seasons, but the departure of striker John Aloi$i and the retirement of defensive stalwart Tony Vidmar will have many at the club nervous about the approaching season.

The club has secured the services of some quality players, like Ahmad Elrich and former Australian Youth International Dylan Macallister, but none have the pedigree or experience of Aloi$i or Vidmar.

Perhaps the signing with the most potential is Elrich, who was the marquee player for the Wellington Phoenixs inaugural season. The former Australian national team midfielder is one of the few A-League players who has plied his trade in the English Premier League, where he spent a season with Fulham. He had a rocky first A-League season with the Phoenix and never really lived up to his billing, but if he can improve his fitness he should be able to make at least as much impact on the league as his younger brother Tarek Elrich, who has impressed at the Newcastle Jets.

Other signings include former Australian age group representatives Macallister, Adrian Caceres and David DApuzzo.

Like Elrich, Macallister also has European experience, most of which was with SK Brann and FC Lyn in Norway. The 26-year-old striker scored 10 goals in 38 appearances for Brann, but was less successful at his most recent club, FC Lyn Oslo, due to ongoing injury problems. Former Melbourne Victory player Caceres made many of his 25 appearances for the Victory off the bench, showing good work rate for the Melbourne side.

The Mariners one year deal with Australian youth international DApuzzo should also prove useful. The 19-year-old is the brother of current Newcastle Jet Adam DApuzzo, and has earned his place after strong performances for NSW Premier League side APIA Leichhardt.

Theres little doubt that Aloi$is departure to Sydney FC will have the largest impact on the Mariners of any of the offseason transfers. Aloi$i was not the most mobile of strikers but his strength and ability to win headers from free kicks will be missed and the Mariners will have to find a new target man up front.

The transfers of classy midfielder Tom Pondeljak, to Melbourne Victory, and forward Adam Kwa$nik, to the Wellington Phoenix, will also hurt the club. Pondeljak made 55 appearances for the Mariners and provided much needed experience in the midfield. Kwa$nik, while sometimes appearing ungainly, was a prolific goal scorer for the Coast, and may be Wellingtons best option to partner All Whites striker Shane Smeltz up front.

Substitute goalkeeper Matthew Trott, midfielders Ian McAndrew and Andre Gumprecht, and defender Alvin Ceccoli have also departed after the club decided not to renew their contracts.

Meanwhile, in a transfer that could have been, the Mariners snubbed former Manchester United and Sydney FC striker Dwight Yorke last month. Yorke said he was willing to take a significant pay cut to return to the A-League, but the Coast decided they could do better for the amount Yorke was demanding.

The Mariners have shown steady performances in their last three pre-season matches, with a 2-1 win over ACT club side Belconnen Unites, a 4-0 win over a Canberra representative selection and a 3-0 win over NSW Super League side Northern Tigers, on Wednesday.

The teams pre-season build up continues with friendlies against the Newcastle Jets, on July 12, and the New Zealand U-23 team, on July 15, before the opening match of the preseason cup, against the Wellington Phoenix on July 20.

FFC Mariner

Where to start???

Anyone who pens an article that reckons Kwas is a prolific goalscorer has to be seriously questioned.

brett

Greenpoleffc said:
Where to start???

Anyone who pens an article that reckons Kwas is a prolific goalscorer has to be seriously questioned.

I'd start, and finish, at Andrew Gumprecht.

Deej

TBH I'm only concerned at losing Tommy.

Players out :

Trott - great shot stopper, needs more time to develop but with injury concerns couldn't be risked.
Brown - showed last year he was struggling at this level and with the lack of game time he was getting
Vidmar - Will always be remembered by me for his f**k up in his last ever game, also showed against Archie and a few others that he's too slow and age has got the better of him, positionally very good but a fit Boogs will be a perfect replacement.
Kwas - Would have been a perfect 3rd choice winger and would have pushed for a starting spot if Elrich was poor, has the ability to score which as a winger is an asset, however, when he's cold he's f**king freezing, I just hope Elrich earns his money
Aloisi - Yeah he's got great history but has a dodgy knee and would have sent us broke if he signed, will obviously be missed both on and off the pitch but I think we have enough fire power.
Tommy - his creativity is something nobody else has, he could turn a game, in saying that thou if he wasn't up for the game he'd be very average.
McAndrew - pffft go back to Lightning and concentrate on getting better
Gumps - Crowd favourite, very useful squad player but would not challenge for a start and likes to pull out of too many tackles.

Players in :

D'Appuzzo - Very quick, can play left back or left midfield, more than capable of filling Brown's boots
McAlister - Has looked pretty good IMO so far, I'm sure he's learn't a lot overseas, he's big, strong and will prove a handful.
Caceres - will give us better creativity down the left than we have ever had, can also score goals!
Elrich - IF IF IF IF IF IF he finds the form he once had he could be awesome, signs are promising but has a long way to go still.

In summary our current starting 11 would IMO be :

-------------Danny
Osman----Wilko---Boogs----Heff
Elrich-----Jedi----Hutch---Caceres
----------Macca--Mrdja

We could have 2 new players next year, 1 is called Nik Mrdja if he get's over his knee problems, and the other is called Matty Simon, his confidence has grown and he will score this year!

If we sign someone to create more in the middle of the park I'll be happy.

We need some back up too, Bojic is a possibility? as is Frank Lagano? we'll see what happens, it will be a competitive year and I'm looking forward to it

Sacko

Deej said:

-------------Danny
----------Macca--Mrdja

I agree with this starting 11, however there are 2 major issues with it Danny missing the 1st third of the season and Niks knee.
IMO we will also miss Tommy's creative ability and Jonny's off the field profile.

Deej

Danny will play first 2 games and then miss 5 I think? Could be wrong thou?

Jesus

Jesus
That was still to be decided. The FFA were not sure this was the case. Though i would have assumed it was. But have not read an FFA statement saying he will be eligable to play in the a-league during that olympics time they gave him off.

Sacko

If its big shoes we need how about signing co-co the clown?
Sorry we've already got Matt Simon... :ashamed:

JamesH

Greenpoleffc said:
Where to start???

Big fan I see. He's only one of the highest goalscorers in Mariners' history. He may not be the most technically gifted player, but any way you look at it, you can't doubt he scores a few goals. He was leading goalscorer for the Central Coast in the 2006/2007 season as well I believe.

fedelta

serious14 said:
Penalties and flukes.   You'll find this place is quite divided re: Mr. Kwa$nik......

Oh come on. That goal against Newcastle in the semi-final wasn't a fluke at all.

Tez

serious14 said:
Penalties and flukes.  You'll find this place is quite divided re: Mr. Kwa$nik......

he had quality goals that definately werent flukes,
and there is no questioning that week-in and week-out he played his heart out.
sure some weeks he wasnt good, but that wasn't for a lack of trying.

Elrich (from the 2 games iv seen him play) stands on the side calling for the ball constantly, and when it comes if it doesnt arrive at his feet he starts swearing his head off. he will be a poor replacement for Kwasie
He needs to improve significantly if he is to fill Kwasie's Boots.

marinermick

taylor said:
serious14 said:
Penalties and flukes.  You'll find this place is quite divided re: Mr. Kwa$nik......

Oh come on. That goal against Newcastle in the semi-final wasn't a fluke at all.

while i disagree with the anti-kwassy sentiment here that goal was a fluke - it was a deflection off tarek elrich's foot that looped over the keeper's head

mind you, he gave himself every chance with a magical run before the shot

Nik Mrdjas Disco Bikkie

Deej said:

-------------Danny
----------Macca--Mrdja

I'd like to see Porter ahead of Hutch. His passing is always spot on and Hutch is too defensive as we've already got a better DM in Jedi.
Another defender for depth and one or two midfielders would be great additions.

Bear

marinermick said:
taylor said:
serious14 said:
Penalties and flukes.   You'll find this place is quite divided re: Mr. Kwa$nik......

while i disagree with the anti-kwassy sentiment here that goal was a fluke - it was a deflection off tarek elrich's foot that looped over the keeper's head

The way I remember it, he went on a run, lost the ball, won it back, shot, deflect, score.
When he lost it, fish and I both looked at each other and said "kwas is f**kin shit" only to stand there going "hmm" after the goal lol

Sean

Bearinator said:
marinermick said:
taylor said:
serious14 said:

The way I remember it, he went on a run, lost the ball, won it back, shot, deflect, score.
When he lost it, fish and I both looked at each other and said "kwas is f**kin shit" only to stand there going "hmm" after the goal lol

+1

FFC Mariner

JamesH said:
Greenpoleffc said:
Where to start???

Big fan I see. He's only one of the highest goalscorers in Mariners' history. He may not be the most technically gifted player, but any way you look at it, you can't doubt he scores a few goals. He was leading goalscorer for the Central Coast in the 2006/2007 season as well I believe.

I think I can see why your article is unbalanced - you cant read properly.

Where did I slag him?? What I said was he isnt a PROLIFIC goalscorer.(Given the number of starts and that he is a penalty taker too)

He was our main frontman for most of season 2 and how did that go??

JamesH

Greenpoleffc said:
JamesH said:
Greenpoleffc said:
Where to start???

I think I can see why your article is unbalanced - you cant read properly.

Where did I slag him?? What I said was he isnt a PROLIFIC goalscorer.(Given the number of starts and that he is a penalty taker too)

He was our main frontman for most of season 2 and how did that go??

Hey it's all good, you are obviously entitled to your opinion like anyone else. At no point in my post did I say you slagged him. Was just expressing my opinion, backed up by a few facts, that he scores quite a few goals (whether they were flukes or not is another debate). If you can't say that about one of a club's leading goalscorers, there are few people you can say it about.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred