• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

New Media Deal

Rowdy

The AFL have announced a $2.5 BILLION media deal with Channel 7/ Foxtel over 6 years, starting from 2017.

It's double their current deal.

$400 million a year makes our $2.55 million salary cap look like pocket money for a 5yo.

dibo

I thought they were on $250m/year before. Nevertheless, huge money.

Our deal is $40m/yr at present. I wonder what the 'fair value' of each eyeball is - our numbers vs AFL look better than our numbers vs NRL, so our price might go fairly sharply north.

This is part of a last stand by traditional broadcasters against the streaming revolution. I dearly hope we can cash in.

midfielder

The AFL 2.508 billion over 6 years ... 418 million per year 18 teams with squads of 47... roughly 210 matches

NRL expected 1.7 billion over 5 years... 340 million per year 16 teams + SOO + Tests squads of 35 ... roughly 215 matches..

Union ... 200 million over 5 years ... 40 million per year 5 teams + 12 non Australian sides + Tri Nations squads of 35 ... to hard to work out the games with time zones

We rate on average a tad more than union we will have 12 teams roughly 200 A-League games + 32 FFA Cup + 18 ACL + Socceroos say 7 + other national sides + W-League
Most say Football is the most popular with youth and we have more registered players than AFL, Union & League combined [not counting touch] ...

On Fox the A-League rates roughly a third of the AFL and NRL the SBS ratings are beyond poor and IMO show what a poor job they have done with their broadcasting rights...

So were this leaves us I have no idea but BeinSport are interested and they have lots of cash but the game would struggle for an audience ...

If I could choose a combo it would be 10 and Fox on a 120 million + deal ... but hopes rarely come true ... I could not even have a guess what and with who the final figure will be.

Rowdy

+ 32 FFA Cup

Thurbs, is that how many games were televised on Fox in last years FFA Cup? Same this year?

Or are you including the 'single camera streams' online at foxsports.com as well to get that total of 32 games?

Last edited:

midfielder

Thurbs, is that how many games were televised on Fox in last years FFA Cup? Same this year?

Or are you including the 'single camera streams' online at FoxSports.com as well to get that total of 32 games?

OK its 31 games my bad... take the word of others ..

As a code we have a number of products for sale each with's its own value ... by way of example I read an article about two years ago that said the SOO accounted for a third of the NRL revenue and if you compare that to a normal club match ... they have totally differently values...

We have as products ... Socceroos, Matilda's, U 23 mens Olympic side plus I think another 6 national sides.

The A-League when its 12 teams over 3 round + finals 203 games.

ACL matches assume 3 sides at a min of 6 games for each side so 18 games

FFA Cup matches 31

W-League ... if anyone has the figure post it but I guess 100 games.

Meaning we have in the order of 350 + games to sell guessing the Socceroos the top payer and an early FFA Cup match the lowest ..

Some maybe many will not get broadcast however that is broadsheet of what we have to offer the media companies.. Remember 7 are broadcasting the Shute Shield a Sydney based club Rugby competition and it rates about 30 to 50 k and they have paid and signed I think a 7 year deal.

In addition we have a couple of intangible growth areas in broadcasting the other codes don't ..

First we have according to the Whole of Football report a conversation rate of player to TV watcher of 19% of our player base, the average across the other codes is 86% FFA have identified this as a area they will devote considerable time and effort to lift... the next is the multi viewer Football has across the codes the lowest number of fans as a % who watch more than their own team play another area FFA have indicated they wish to improve.. Also the FIFA game for the young..

What it all means I don't know ... point a gun at me and say what will our next deal be and I would say between 60 and 100 million anything about this would be amazing...

Rowdy

W-League ... if anyone has the figure post it but I guess 100 games.

Last season there was only 48 games + Finals (top 4).

W-League comprises 8 teams but only plays 12 rounds, which is a major complaint amongst the players/clubs in that they all play each other once but then only play against 4 other clubs.

Which for some of the weaker teams could be against the top 4 clubs making it impossible for them to get off the bottom of the league ladder.

Needs to be addressed.

dibo

I agree, but the problem is that the clubs want to ditch the NYL because it 'costs too much', and already Adelaide, Newcastle and Perth have dished off responsibility [for W-League] to the member federation and Central Coast simply doesn't run a [W-League] side.

It's not commercially viable (at present).

It needs to become a part of the licence that you must run:
  • A-League
  • NYL
  • NPLM Academy
  • W-League
  • NPLW Academy
It ought to be funded out of the FFA grant alongside the A-League core salary component.

Having the consistency of core structure should ensure that clubs are able to put in the expected contribution to the national pathway for men and women.

Expansion ought to be contingent on willingness to make this same contribution - this is why Canberra ought to be a no-brainer for inclusion, and you can then build further clubs from existing NPLM/NPLW setups.

Edit: made clearer in first paragraph

Last edited:

midfielder

FFA still in talks with FTA stations about the Friday night broadcast.

The Herald Sun is reporting FFA even this close to season kick off are wanting to move Friday night from SBS and Gallop openly says FFA and SBS are not happy with each other….. To me anyway explains a lot pertaining to the tone of SBS coverage of Australian Football over the last months….. towards the end of the article is the where it talks about the FTA.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/f...ffa-pfa-standoff/story-fni2wcjl-1227529056270

The uncertainty heading into season 11 is further underlined with Gallop revealing that they were still hopeful of a rival Free-to-Air network pinching the live Friday night coverage from SBS.

It’s understood that Football Federation Australia is talking with two networks, including Channel 9, about televising Friday night games, just three weeks before kick-off.

The current TV deal has two years to run but talks continue about another FTA network would replace SBS for the duration of the current deal.

“That’s still got potential (to change). It’s reasonably well documented that neither us nor SBS are totally committed to that arrangement,’’ he said.

“We’ll certainly make it work if we have to, but there are still some talks going on in relation to Friday nights.’’

dibo

Ratings are ordinary and the exposure is far less than the game would get even on a multichannel like 7Mate or OneHD.

Less exposure = less money in the long term.

I used to watch World Soccer and the NSL highlights on SBS 20 years ago but really, SBS aren't owed anything - there's no point in keeping them there if it sacrifices opportunities to grow the game.

Rowdy

I don't understand, are Sbs not doing a good job? They are the home of football after all

Personally think The World Game on Sundays now 'suck' with the incessantly annoying Lucy Zelic hosting.

Her voice, OMG, her delivery is like the multitudes of female crap-cadet reporters you see on the likes of ACA or the axed Today Tonight.

Always putting on that sound as if 'I'm as serious as shit' but talk completely different (normal) to their family and friends.

Prefer to just listen to Foz and Aytek Genc. & NO it's not a sexist thing. I sorely miss watching Mel Mclaughlin on the Fox coverage. She was a 'natural talker', cool calm & collected as opposed to the over-excitable Tara Rush who my Missus thinks is bubble head and has no we near the insight into the 'game' that Mel did. (her words not mine)

Rather Foz host TWG, put brother Ned on as well, love watching HIM get over-excited, particularly about his precious Bundesliga, waving his arms about and watching Foz bob & weave to not get smacked in the head.

Just hasn't been the same since Les Murray quit, although he had some buffoon moments himself at times.

sydmariner

Just hasn't been the same since Les Murray quit, although he had some buffoon moments himself at times.
I agree but at least he knew what he was talking about & could pronounce all the players names plus I'd rather have zwanny as the main host:)

Rowdy

Funny story told to me about Les Murray by ex Socceroo Grant Lee when he was coach of Central Coast United in the NSWPL at the time, I was the Team Manager.

Lee said back when he played for Sydney City in the NSL, Les Murray came down to do an interview/article about the team. The player's were told he was coming but they weren't quite prepared for 'what' showed up.

Up rocked Les, in a brand new shiny track-suit - new boots - socks - shorts & shirt, ALL matching and all supplied courtesy of Umbro.

That was the just the first of the giggles. Unaware to them Les thought he would 'join-in' with the player's training session, using that as an 'angle' or back-drop for his article. They all chuckled quietly amongst themselves, as this was the self appointed Mr Foodballl himself no less.

So Les huffed and puffed thru the warm-up drills, stretches, some passing, cones etc. all pretty basic stuff.

Then the coach broke them off into small sided games and this was when the fun started.

Initially they let Les get 'away' a few passes, not coming too close to closing him down. Then slowly a few little close calls with slight, shall we say 'contact' then letting him get back to 'getting a few away' safely again.

Enough was enough & 'BOOM'!

Someone from in behind and Lee's own words were 'he just lifted him!' & bang down he went.

Les got up, dusted himself off, trying not to look like he was affected by the cheap challenge and continued on.

Again the confidence was allowed to be regained by Les but before to long another heavy challenge brought him down again, from the side or front so as to appear part & parcel of 'this is normal' training stuff.

Grant Lee said, we continued 'lifting' him 2 maybe 3 more times before Les abruptly called it quits, saying he needing to finish interviewing the coach or something or other about the upcoming game.

With his brand new-gear dirtied like an unceremonious 'badge of dis-honour', he cottoned-on quick to get the 'hell-out-of-there' before he suffered something serious.

I think it would be fair to say that Les had himself a story alright, but I'm pretty sure it was one that he'd prefer NOT to tell.

Rowdy

Grandpa 'out the back of Bourke' can now tune his 'wireless' to hear the A-League ...

Regional A-League fans the winners in new broadcast deal:
crocmedia.jpg

In a huge boost for country football fans, CROCMEDIA will broadcast A-League games throughout regional Australia for the next two seasons.

The new official broadcast provider will cover every Friday night match, as well as the finals series and other marquee fixtures.

The call will go throughout the Super Radio Network to 56 markets across regional New South Wales and southern Queensland as well into Victoria and Western Australia through various broadcasters.

Socceroos Jason Culina and Danny Tiatto, as well as A-League title winners Clint Bolton and Rocky Visconte, will be on-air experts for the upcoming season.

Known as A-League LIVE it will be similar to Crocmedia’s successful AFL regional broadcast AFL LIVE.

Crocmedia executive director Chris Giannopoulos said it was a thrill to be able to broadcast one of the fastest-growing sports in Australia.

“The A-League is growing so quickly and we have seen how many supporters it has in this country, so to be able to partner with the FFA and broadcast the game throughout Australia and in particular regional markets is terrific,” Giannopoulos said.

“We’re looking forward to building our commentary team and working alongside the FFA to ensure the broadcast is both entertaining and informative for the fans.”

A-League boss Damien de Bohun applauded Crocmedia’s broadcast, citing its importance to football’s growth in regional Australia.

“The Hyundai A-League continues to grow and the Friday night broadcast through Crocmedia will allow football to push further into regional and rural Australia, which is an important part of the Whole of Football Plan,” de Bohun said.

“Football is played in every corner of Australia, and this broadcast gives the people from regional areas another opportunity to follow the Hyundai A-League each week. Many Hyundai A-League clubs have members and fans in regional areas and this is a big win for them.”

Read more at http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/...inners-new-broadcast-deal#G1OcggOGAA0O19UV.99

dibo

There's a new player in football media rights:

Optus snatches English Premier League rights from Fox Sports in Australia

Date
November 2, 2015 - 10:48AM
Claire Siracusa

1446421721157.jpg

Optus has snatched the EPL rights in Australia from Fox Sports. Photo: Jon Super

Optus has secured exclusive Australian broadcast rights to the English Premier League for the next three seasons.

The deal is reportedly worth more than $50 million, and includes "live broadcast coverage and digital rights for broadband and mobile". Optus' coverage will commence in August 2016.

It is a huge blow for the current rights holders Fox Sports, and rich Qatar-owned broadcaster BeIN Sports, who both reportedly submitted competing bids.

It is also expected to have wider implications for broadcast sport in Australia, with the English Premier League a central part of Foxtel's strategy of targeting sports-mad subscribers.

Optus released a statement on Monday morning announcing the shock deal, describing it as "another significant step in our strategy to become a mobile-led multimedia company".

"Today's announcement is a great win for Optus and will ensure that Aussie football fans can watch all the action from the world's most popular football league," CEO Allen Lew said in the statement.

It is unclear how the public will access the content at this stage, with no specific details on "product constructs or pricing at this stage".

"Our goal is to make this content available to as many fans as possible – but we're not going in to detail about distribution platforms at this stage," a spokeswoman for Optus told Fairfax Media.

Optus announced in October that it had signed a sponsorship deal with Cricket Australia to be its streaming partner.

All Optus users are now able to access the Cricket Australia Live Pass, which gives them the ability to watch matches. This typically costs $29.99 a season and the data used up on mobile devices will not count against their download allowances.

Lew at that time flagged the deal as "just the beginning", declaring "open season" on Australian sport broadcast rights. He set the goal of partnering with a range of codes to entice mobile and internet customers away from his rivals such as Telstra and TPG Telecom.

Digital rights for the AFL have already been secured by Telstra.

The Financial Review reported on Monday that Optus has also expressed interest in the NRL mobile streaming rights and is considered a "potential bidder" for the pay TV rights, currently held by Fox Sports.

More to come

with AAP

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/business/medi...-australia-20151101-gkoedn.html#ixzz3qHsfHUfG
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred