• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

NBN Experiences

Big Al

What's people's experiences with the NBN

My telco has said the NBN is expected to be completed in August.

Saw the first NBN vehicle in the neighbourhood the other day.

Currently have horrible internet and they have just given me a boost package from 1Mbps to 3Mbps.

Have heard some unhappy people, is that because they already have decent internet to begin with.

Also see you can get turbo boost speeds up to 100Mbps for an extra fee. Has anyone taken this up and is it worth it?

true believer

it's not bad . last year after the super storm we're we without power for 3 days (middy was 6 or 7)
i had the nbn hooked up to a battery . no mobiles but internet . it's the little things

yes im happy .

dibo

My sister was in East Gosford for a while with NBN. 96mb/s. Meanwhile I've got ADSL2+ in Stanmore, 5.5mb/s.

We just bought a flat in Gosford (tenanted - not moving back up yet) and the tenants tell us that the NBN there is fantastic.

MagpieMariner

I'm OK with my NBN, goes fast enough for me. Not interested in any booster packs because ours is the Turdball version, probably wouldn't be any faster no matter how many boosters.
For those who may be thinking of getting a new ISP, iiNet is very good, been with them about 5 years now, never a problem. Their customer service is excellent, 24/7 and they keep going until the problem is fixed.
Nearly forgot, I'm on the Peninsula.

rbakersmith

I got a Fibre to the Building connection late last year in my apartment in Artarmon - it's fibre to the communications room, then uses the existing copper to the apartment so you get the same modem as for Fibre to the Node. Funnily enough it meant that I got the NBN (whoops, nbn™) faster than I would have under Labor, since I was literally on the wrong side of the street for the FTTP rollout that had been planned to that point.

Speed wise, it's fine. I'm paying for a 25/5 plan (which is the fastest my ISP - Belong - currently offers :(), and Speedtest regularly reports around 23/9. It's faster than the 12-13 Mbps that I was getting on ADSL2+.

According to my modem my line can support up to 115/50, but I'd have to wait until my contract is up in December to find an ISP who can offer the higher speeds.

Forum Phoenix

My internet has been 2-3Mbps. Fairly regularly would slow almost to a halt or drop out.
Got NBN switched on and self installed modem last week.
Telstra tech support nightmare first 4 days. Constant drop outs. Took 12 minutes to reboot modem each time.
Had a tech out though and he replaced the wall sockets and killed an old line he found in the wall*.
Since then, not a single drop out. And my internet is now clicking 23-24 Mbps on speed tests.

So good.

Ancient Mariner

The copper in our area is very old and is absolute crap. We had ADSL2 but it kept dropping out all the time. Switched to the Fox cable and now get 33-35Mbps.
We now also have a reliable home phone.

I don't think NBN will ever be an option for 2 reasons.

1) I am in a safe seat and this area will be the last to be connected in the whole country.
2) NBN with fibre to the node at the end of the street will then have to travel done our crap copper.

dibo

After the next election, even though I think the Libs are going to win, don't be that surprised if NBN suddenly 'discovers' that FTTP is relatively cost-effective and significantly more reliable in comparison to FTTN, so they basically switch across to Labor's plan.

Wombat

Had it in the shop at East Gosford for nearly 3 years (Telstra gave us no choice!).
Horrible time getting it installed.
Not bad once installed but not massively faster.
Eftpos and phone lines bundled. Does shit itself from time to time but at least they automatically divert the landline to a mobile.
Not bad but not exciting either.
More reliable than ADSL at Kariong and Lisarow......doesnt stop to think.

Its worth getting but dont expect your world to change unless you are currently getting terrible speeds like FP and Dibo.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred