• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

National Youth League Fixtures and Mariners youth team discussion

FFC Mariner

Like the Aleague team you still need 2/3 experienced players or leaders to guide the young ones to success.

And more likely that we will produce and sell more players if they are a winning side rather than a defeated and low confidence side.

So did we skimp and try and save paying 2/3 experienced players to lead the academy or were we naive thinking the more youngsters the more opportunity to sell and make money, possibly even before they get a chance at Aleague like young goal keeper to Buyern.

But as we have seen big clubs are much more likely to buy from a winning team and players thrive when winning.

Only early days but still have that feeling that the Peil cost cutting theory might land us back down the bottom of aleague and possibly starting from scratch again.

Or we win the AFC, Aleague finished and 2/3 players go back into Acadamy team, we climb the NPL ladder, we resign Nizzy and sell him to Barcelona and we all live happily ever after.
Barcelona arent in Italy but I take your point?

Hello Sailor

Like the Aleague team you still need 2/3 experienced players or leaders to guide the young ones to success.
Yep. Just wondering why out of form/out of favour players arent dropped down to the NPL like they used to to help do that. eg DWH? Surely he would be better used in the NPL helping that team than twiddling his thumbs?

Stuartmcateer

Yep. Just wondering why out of form/out of favour players arent dropped down like they used to to help do that. eg DWH? Surely he would be better used in the NPL helping that team than twiddling his thumbs?
They would have to be registered in NPL to play, they aren't automatically able to drop back.

Also the a league academies are an under 23 restricted side.

Hello Sailor

They would have to be registered in NPL to play, they aren't automatically able to drop back.

Also the a league academies are an under 23 restricted side.
Soz wrong thread. So how did it work in the past when out of form players dropped down for a spell? They were registered as NPL players as well to enable that?

priorpeter

Soz wrong thread. So how did it work in the past when out of form players dropped down for a spell? They were registered as NPL players as well to enable that?
The aleague academy wasn’t always restricted to u23s - I remember the heady days of Matt Crowell, Adriano Pellegrino, Michael Baird et al running around at pluim for the former academy side. These days though as mentioned above the u23 rule for any academy side is wholly enforced. A couple of senior-ish players yet to come back in Sash Kuzevski (early may) and Nico Duarte (early April) will hopefully aid the cause.

JoyfulPenguin

The aleague academy wasn’t always restricted to u23s - I remember the heady days of Matt Crowell, Adriano Pellegrino, Michael Baird et al running around at pluim for the former academy side. These days though as mentioned above the u23 rule for any academy side is wholly enforced. A couple of senior-ish players yet to come back in Sash Kuzevski (early may) and Nico Duarte (early April) will hopefully aid the cause.
Any news on if Maksim Kasalovic will get registered?

Hello Sailor

Thanks Priorpeter. That must have been it.

Rising Sun

My recollection is that the overage only applied to the NYL and never in the NPL though. Not so much a case of the rules changing or being enforced, more a case of a different competition with different rules. The likes of Pellegrino could play as overage in the CCM youth team against other A League youth teams (and I am sure he must have played more for the youth team than the senior team) but never for CCMA in the NPL. (All the names you mention were long gone before we joined the NPL.)

priorpeter

My recollection is that the overage only applied to the NYL and never in the NPL though. Not so much a case of the rules changing or being enforced, more a case of a different competition with different rules. The likes of Pellegrino could play as overage in the CCM youth team against other A League youth teams (and I am sure he must have played more for the youth team than the senior team) but never for CCMA in the NPL. (All the names you mention were long gone before we joined the NPL.)
You’re right and I probably should’ve been clearer on that, but I was admittedly in a dream-like state fuelled by whisky and the memories of standing in the rain watching pellers whipping corners into the first defender and Michael Baird being caught offside for the 18th time in 20 minutes. Bliss.

JoyfulPenguin

Watched the replay, overall a better defensive performance than what I have seen so far this year, undone by poor marking at a corner. Been impressed by Cher Deng so far this season.

Brandtman should have had a goal that was incorrectly ruled offside. Sciluna did well, especially slightly further forward, and with Thepa managed the midfield better than we have so far this season.

Brandtman did well attacking wise and Niyonkuru had some bright moments but we generally seem to run out of ideas as soon as we get anywhere near the box.

Some more compsure and luck and we could have easily come away with a win from this one.

priorpeter

Spewing. Academy boys were meant to be playing at CCS after the Wellington game this Saturday. For some reason we’ve requested the fixture be moved down to valentine sports park on Sunday afternoon - sacrificing a home game. Don’t have another home game until 28/4.

Last edited:

Meerkat

Spewing. Academy boys were meant to be playing at CCS after the Wellington game this Saturday. For some reason we’ve requested the fixture be moved down to valentine sports park on Sunday afternoon - sacrificing a home game. Don’t have another home game until 28/4.
Concerns about the pitch after the rain?
Players needed to be available for both games?
What are your thoughts?
Disappointing.. won’t have another chance 😕

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred