• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mike Cockerill Vale

Rowdy

images-1.jpg

Terribly sad, to hear the news of Mike Cockerill's passing tonite before the KO of the Socceroos WCQ in Japan.

A Football commentator that I highly respected, always brave to call it as he saw it, both the good or the bad - in regards to ours & his beloved game.

Cocker's was rightfully inducted into the Football Federation Australia Hall of Fame in 2011.

Now sitting alongside Johnny & Les in that great commentary box in the sky.

Michael Cockerill, may you Rest in Peace,
20 November 1960 - 31 August 2017

sydmariner

Fox Football commentator Michael Cockerill dies of cancer
FOOTBALL

0e99416bebe4cfb92a6c28f0c1871cb7

Mike Cockerill.Source: News Corp Australia
FOX Football is mourning the death of commentator and journalist Mike Cockerill from cancer.

Cockerill was a leading voice in the Australian game, and worked for Fox as well as Fairfax media, where he was long a passionate advocate for the code.

Fox Sports head of live sport Steve Crawley said Cockerill had been fighting cancer for several years.

“He was a wonderful person and a superb broadcaster and journalist — one of the true greats of the craft,” said Crawley.

Mark Bosnich added: “He was a giant for football in journalism in this country. His contribution will never be forgotten.”

“Mike was greatly respected,” said Robbie Slater. “A really top man. We pass on all our best to his family.

“He was a very, very special person to me. I’ve known him since I was 17. It’s a huge shock to me. He was doing the FFA Cup only four weeks ago and he’s been struck down. It happened very, very quickly.”

Gratis

Ow. Poor guy and his family.

Les was expected but this wasn't and he was quite young. Very very sad.

Forum Phoenix

View attachment 906

Terribly sad, to hear the news of Mike Cockerill's passing tonite before the KO of the Socceroos WCQ in Japan.

A Football commentator that I highly respected, always brave to call it as he saw it, both the good or the bad - in regards to ours & his beloved game.

Cocker's was rightfully inducted into the Football Federation Australia Hall of Fame in 2011.

Now sitting alongside Johnny & Les in that great commentary box in the sky.

Michael Cockerill, may you Rest in Peace,
20 November 1960 - 31 August 2017

Oh shit. That really took me by surprise.

I loved Mike. Was not just a sports reporter but a true journalist and better than all the others I always felt. Always a fair and honest man from what I could see. Will be missed.

Wombat

A few years ago Mike was at the opening of the fantastic Soccer 5s complex at Tuggerah. He played in a five aside team with Mel McLauglin and Adam Peacock. He wasnt a great player and was very serious but was a nice guy and enjoyed himself. Mike always treated the Mariners with respect and along with Simon Hill he was the best of the Foxtel team.

Rowdy

The Michael Cockerill columns that defined a football era in Australia:
images-1.jpg

In over 30 years of covering football for the Herald, Mike Cockerill filed hundreds of columns encompassing the full spectrum from NSW state league to World Cups. Below are extracts from five of the most memorable pieces Cockerill wrote over his distinguished career.

- After the Socceroos' heartbreaking defeat to Uruguay in the 2002 World Cup play-off, Cockerill was the only journalist to travel out of Montevideo with the team. He filed this piece on the dejection among the players.

2001: Horror Video

When Tony Vidmar saw a laptop image of himself sobbing as he left the field in Montevideo, he wept all over again.

1504263762715.jpg

Heartbreak: Tony Vidmar leaves the field in Montevideo sobbing.

In the cafe of the city's international airport, some Socceroos took the loss harder than others. And Vidmar, a veteran of three failed World Cup campaigns, took it harder than most.

Such are the time constraints of Australia's soccer-playing elite that they were at the airport waiting to catch a connecting flight to Buenos Aires within two hours of the final whistle.

Paul Okon wore a glazed expression, barely able to talk above a whisper. Mark Viduka chatted amiably to just about anyone who would listen. Josip Skoko sported a blackened right eye and a bruised heart. Vidmar was struggling to contain his tears.

In the baggage hall, coach Frank Farina went around, one by one, to the players who would be spending the night in Argentina before returning to their clubs in Europe.

"Thanks for the last two years," was his message.

Seven players, among them skipper Paul Okon, have followed Farina back to Australia to snatch a couple of days with their families. That contingent headed off in the Buenos Aires night to the city's second airport, at Ezeiza, and will arrive in Sydney early this morning. Those who remained behind, among them Viduka and Harry Kewell, wound down with a few beers in their hotel. It was no more than they deserved.

Last edited:

Rowdy

- Four years later, on a November night in Homebush, there was only joy as the Socceroos gained revenge on Uruguay with a penalty shoot-out victory to qualify for the World Cup for the first time since 1974. It was a night that would go down in Australian football history.

2005: This one's for you, Johnny

It's a lot more fun witnessing history than reliving it. Step by painful step, the past 31 years of unfulfilled expectation have defined football in this country. Last night at Homebush Bay, the decades of hurt were finally washed away — soothed by a Socceroos performance as good as it gets.

Australia are into the World Cup finals at long last, and 23 squad members and a coaching and support staff led by Dutch master Guus Hiddink and Graham Arnold are writ forever into folklore.

1504262741184.jpg
Landmark moment: The Socceroos defeat Uruguay to break their World Cup drought.

The Socceroos class of 2005 is going to Germany — and the class of 1974 can finally rest in peace.

There have been many seminal moments in Australian sport, but not many as profound as this.

This was an achievement that will not only change the lives of those who delivered it, but the sport itself.

Football in Australia has been played competitively since 1880, but so much of it has been in the shadows. Going to the World Cup, and going as an Asian team, is the past and the future rolled into one. It has taken 125 years, but football has finally stepped into the light.

Many of the players from the 1974 team — until last night the only Australian team to reach the World Cup finals — were also in the stands. The late, great Johnny Warren — who played in the 1965 and 1974 teams and cried on national television when we lost to Iran on the Socceroos' darkest night — wasn't there, of course. But we all cried for him.

Woven into the fabric of this victory were the cumulative defeats of two generations. Grief has been the constant theme.

Four years ago, Tony Vidmar had to be helped off the pitch in Montevideo as a torrent of tears rolled down his cheeks. Last night, the oldest player in the squad whooped with unbridled joy, savouring his decision to postpone his retirement.

In a multicultural nation in a fractured world, the Socceroos can bring together the sum of their parts: Muslim, Catholic, Orthodox, Anglican. German, Lebanese, Polynesian, Croatian, Italian, Melanesian, Greek. It is a rich tapestry but last night they — and we — were one thing only. Australian.

Rowdy

- Only four short months after the Socceroos' landmark achievement, Sydney FC made their own piece of history when they beat Central Coast Mariners 1-0 in the grand final to win the inaugural A-League title.

2006: Bling FC is born

Glamour may be only skin deep, but Sydney FC proved last night that a heart lies beneath the hype amid euphoric scenes at Aussie Stadium.

In front of a flag-waving, fist-pumping, roaring full house of mostly Sydney fans, FC achieved something which eluded the Swans, the Waratahs, and the Kings — they won a championship at their first attempt. In a city with an unrelenting appetite for success, claiming the inaugural grand final gives Sydney FC a massive leg-up in the most competitive sports market in the nation.

1504262901153.jpg
Bold new start: Sydney FC s Dwight Yorke raises the A-league trophy.

The old NSL had bigger crowds, and perhaps better games, for grand finals, but rarely was there this type of atmosphere. And the players fed off that energy to deliver something history can never take away from them — the first-ever A-League championship.

But this should not signal the start of a dynasty. Salary caps are designed to prevent that. Next season will kick off in August with all eight clubs believing they can win the title. And at the end of season two, there is the added incentive of a place in the Asian Champions League. So much to look forward to, so much to savour. But for now, the kudos and the joy belong to Sydney FC. They have earned their respect the hard way.

Rowdy

- At a press conference during the 2010 World Cup, Harry Kewell attempted to call out Cockerill over a critical article written the previous week. "Where's Mike Cockerill?" Kewell demanded of the assembled reporters. Cockerill was not in the room, but filed this response to Kewell within two hours.

2010: Here I am, Harry

Here I am Harry, where I was always going to be and where I'll be for the next few weeks. Covering the World Cup.

Not covering you, exclusively, I must admit. I like to get around. On Wednesday afternoon, when you seemed to be rather upset that I wasn't squeezed among the press pack at Ruimsig, tape recorder in hand, I was actually in Pretoria. Months ago I applied, and received, accreditation to report on South Africa's game against Uruguay. You can check if you like.

1504263270518.jpg
'Where's Mike Cockerill?': Harry Kewell fronts the press pack asking for Cockerill at the 2010 World Cup.

Perhaps if I'd known you were going to front the cameras, I would have changed my plans. Come to think of it, no I wouldn't have.

You see, Harry, I spent a lot of years, a lot of energy and a lot of effort chasing you for quotes around the world. I was there when it all began for you in 1996 — in fact, I was there a long time before that — and I'm still here now.

Ninety per cent of that time, you've blanked me. The last time, four years ago in Yokohama, I made a decision there wasn't much point in the charade any more. Something I conveyed, quite clearly, to your manager, Bernie Mandic. So you got on with your life and I got on with mine. That's fair enough.

What's also true in this business is that if you dish it out, you've got to take it. I've dished it out to you in the past week and I'm happy to take it. But I stand by every word I've written. Every single one. You've had a dream run in terms of scrutiny, real scrutiny, regarding your performances. You know it, Bernie knows it.

Now you've got the chance to show you're not a myth. That there's still something in the tank. Go out against Ghana, when our World Cup is on the line, when your own international career is on the line, and do something. Actually DO something. Prove something. And if you do, I'll be the first to praise you. As for the rest of it, I'm still here, still writing about football and hope to be for a long time to come.

VicMariner

Sad to see Cockerill depart, but I had literally tears in my eyes following the death of Les Murray. He really felt like an uncle or something...part of my family or at least part of my life.
Us football people are family against/outside/above the popular codes. Brothers and sisters together. Those outside just don't get it.

Rowdy

- In his penultimate Herald column, published in June this year, Cockerill anointed young star Tom Rogic as the future of the Socceroos, and took a final swipe at an old sparring partner: the AFL.

2017: Ground control to major Tom

Apparently you still need a Sherrin to sell the Socceroos to Victorians. In 2017. Yes, really. Fresh from the critical World Cup win over Saudi Arabia, Ange Postecoglou takes his pumped-up players to the MCG next Tuesday night to face Brazil in a prestige friendly that doubles as the warm-up match for this month's FIFA Confederations Cup in Russia.

Somewhere along the line, the promoters felt it necessary to sell Aussie Rules in order to sell tickets with the Socceroos due in town. So a Sherrin was dispatched to Rio de Janeiro a few months ago to film an advertisement featuring the slogan: "We know the Brazilians have mastered the round ball ... but how will they fare with the oval ball?"

Umm, who cares?

1502966012343.png
Anointed for stardom: Cockerill had high hopes for Tom Rogic

For all that, it's been a struggle to move tickets for a game that deserves a decent crowd. Fact is, the Socceroos haven't sold out any major venues since the 2015 Asian Cup. There's been plenty of introspection, but perhaps it comes down to something as obvious, and simple, as this: the time has come to create a new star.

The challenge is to choose the right player, then to properly promote him. On the latter, FFA's unwillingness to put money and resources into marketing has to stop. On the former, who? Three candidates stand out. Mat Ryan, Aaron Mooy and Tom Rogic. Ryan has credible claims but rarely do goalkeepers become poster boys. Mooy has the talent, but not the personality.

Which leaves Rogic. He ticks all the boxes to become the next Socceroos star. He had a taste of stardom as a teenager when he won the Nike talent quest, and didn't particularly enjoy it. But time has moved on, he's become more accustomed to the limelight since emerging at Celtic, and the word is he's matured as much as a person as a footballer. The Socceroos need a new Harry Kewell, or Tim Cahill, or Mark Viduka. Badly. Much as Postecoglou is an outstanding public presence, he's not a player. Rogic is, and an exceptional one at that. The man to get the turnstiles moving again? Why not?

Rowdy

How good was that Harry Kewell article, that style and substance is why I valued Mike's comments on ALL aspects of the game.

He had a respect for the Mariners, in what a team/club like which we have can mean to a community such as ours and what it can bring to the greater good of the 'Footballing Landscape' in Australia.

A good example, was his dogged questioning at the time of the land deal by Wyong Council for the CCM Centre of Excellence, which then led ABC journalists to pick up on it & to start a 4 Corners investigation into the whole affair.

4 Corners shelved it for unknown reasons or perhaps with with bigger fish to fry at the time.

That's all water under the bridge now, BUT Cockerill didn't hold that against us as a club, when reporting on from that time, as I said
.... a fair and balanced journo imo.

VicMariner

AFL can go suck a cringey cock. They are nothing in the greater scheme of things. It would burn them to know that Sam Kerr is way, WAY better known than her brother.
The truth is we don't have a star after Cahill.
Rogic, Mooy or Luongo can step up, but will they? Mooy looking most likely at this stage.

JoyfulPenguin

My introduction to the A-League and the beautiful game was through this man's articles on the FFA website. Sad to hear of his passing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred