• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Matildas

kevrenor

Australia's 21 women squad for the FIFA Womens World Cup in Germany take on Brasil early in the morning 30 June 1.45am AusEast time in their first game in Group D. The other teams are Norway and Equatorial Guinea. NZ were beaten by Japan 2-1 in their Group B game yesterday.

kevrenor

Matildas 3-2 winners over Equatorial Guinea in the 2nd game.
Goals to Leena Khamis, Emily van Egmond, and Lisa De Vanna.
2 soft goals coughed up to Anonman by Servet Uzunlar.
Next match is against Norway on Thursday morning (EST) with coverage at 2:00am on SBS 1

Atomic

It was so frustrating to conceed those two EG goals. Stupid defensive errors - absolutely no excuse for either of them.

Australia absolutely dominated EG. The final score should've been at least 5-0 in my opinion. I hope this doesn't come back to bite the girls in their final group game.

On a side note, I had a good night last night, flicking between the football and Le Tour. :tv: It's a shame I had to be up at 6am this morning though... :redcard: I'm paying for it now.

Atomic

a draw or better against Norway will see us through.

Statistically speaking, we should beat Norway quite comfortably, but football's a funny game :tophat:

dibo

On a side note, I had a good night last night, flicking between the football and Le Tour. :tv: It's a shame I had to be up at 6am this morning though... :redcard: I'm paying for it now.

Two TVs FTW - set them up side by side so I didn't miss anything.

Still, with four and a bit hours sleep I am utterly f**ked today.

yellowcake

England and Germany fall! (both a.e.t, pso gets France through)

So Japan will be Matilda's s-f opponent should we overcome Sweden.

C'mon Matildas :eek:verhead:

kevrenor

Coverage from 8:30pm on SBS Two.

Starting lineup: Melissa Barbieri, Ellyse Perry, Caitlin Foord, Servet Uzunlar, Kim Carroll, Elise Kellond-Knight, Emily Van Egmond, Collette McCallum, Heather Garriock, Lisa De Vanna, Kyah Simon.

MrCelery

Despite bowing out if the Finals, there was plenty to be pleased about in this Matildas squad.

I loved the flair of Caitlin Foord and Kyah Simon. And the midfield work of Van Egmond and McCallum. And the strength and technique of De Vanna.

I felt sorry for Barbieri, who was let down time and again by shocking defensive lapses of her collegues.

Uzunlar is clearly not a defender. The only time she looked good was when she went on a run through midfield. Her defensive positional play and reading of the game was woeful.

I'll leave my last comment for Garriock. Am I missing something? What was she doing in the team? She appeared slow, most of her passes went astray, she never looked in position, and as far as I could tell, was totally ineffectual. I was surprised to see Sermanni leaving her in\on for all the games. Are there no other left-sided players in the squad?

I would liked to have seen more of Ellyse Perry. Her quarter-final goal was a stunner.

Overall, the women's game has improved immensely, and is entertaining to watch. Yes, there are some cringe-worthy moments still. But the open attacking play is very watchable.

Can't wait to see more of this young Matildas squad in future years.

dibo

The Olympics and the next World Cup will be brilliant tests for the girls. So much of the play looked like a little maturity and game smarts would be helpful...

The Olympic qualifiers are going to be fierce: Australia, China PR, Japan, North Korea, South Korea, Thailand.

kevrenor

A match report at: http://back-of-the-net.com/2010-2011/Misc/WCW-SWvsAU.htm

Need to find two better central defenders (Ellie Brush? and Polks?), and push Collette more into playmaker role.
Have to agree on Garriock ... not at her best.
All in all an exciting bunch of young girls.
I always enjoy watching them, as the Matildas or in the W-League.

BTW, the Young(er) Matildas squad is being brought together as we type ... more talent on the way.

kevrenor

1/9/2011: Australia fell to arch-rivals DPR Korea 1-0 in the final round of qualification for the Women’s Olympic Football Tournament London 2012. The Koreans went ahead in the 10th minute with Kim Su Gyong assuredly putting away a cross. Despite some solid chances throughout the match, the Matildas were unable to equalise.

3/9/2011: Australia 5 (Simon 14', Heyman 16'/34', Butt 45' Van Egmond 58') defeated Thailand 1 (Taneekan 59') at the Jinan Olympic Sports Centre in China this evening. The Matildas raced to a 4-0 lead at half-time but struggled to dominate in the second half. The Matildas next play against Japan at the Shandong Sports Center on Monday September, 2011. That game will be televised by ABC at 11.30pm

kevrenor

05/09/2011: The Matildas were defeated 0-1 by world champions Japan today in the third match of their 2012 Olympic qualification campaign.

Although no score at haf-time the Australians were under pressure and Nahomi Kawasumi scored in the 62nd minute at Shandong Sports Centre in Jinan, China.

The Matildas will be now desperate for wins when they next play China on 8 September and South Korea on 11 September.

kevrenor

Australia 1 (Emily Van Egmond 62') - China 0
Still a slim chance for qualification - next game Monday vs contender South Korea

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred