• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Matildas

kevrenor

Reports on the Matildas two game series last week versus the Football Ferns (NZ) are at:

http://back-of-the-net.com/2009-2010/Misc/Misc_NT19.htm

SYDNEY
19 February 2010

The Australian women's football team, the Westfield Matildas, will meet DPR Korea for
two international friendly matches in Brisbane on the March 3 and 6.

The matches mark a significant step in the Westfield Matildas progress to secure a place at
the women's World Cup in Germany, in 2011.

The two games also mark the first matches in over a year for the Westfield Matildas on
Australian soil.

The Westfield Matildas, currently ranked 14th by the FIFA Women's World Rankings, play
Asia's toughest and highest ranked women's team, DPR Korea, ranked 5th in the world,
who visit Australia for the third time in recent history following matches between the two
sides in Coffs Harbour in 2007 and Adelaide in 2006 (the matches ending in a 0-2 loss and
0-0 draw respectively).

"DPR Korea will be a major test for the squad as we prepare for the Asian Cup in
May," said Westfield Matildas Head Coach Tom Sermanni.

"With only three teams able to qualify for the 2011 World Cup in Germany testing
ourselves against the best team in Asia will demonstrate just where we currently are in our
preparations and where we need to improve to ensure a fifth successive World Cup
qualification."

Coming off the back of two matches against New Zealand, the matches on the 3rd and 6th of
March coincide with the Qantas Socceroos Asian Cup qualifier against Indonesia on March 3.

The two matches, both scheduled to be played at Ballymore Stadium, will include a media only
access match on March 3 prior to the Qantas Socceroos match at Suncorp Stadium and a match
open to the public to be played in front of the Brisbane football faithful on March 6.

With limited games left in Australia before our country's premiere female footballers
leave our shores to chase Asian Cup glory and World Cup qualification the March 6 match will
be one of the last chances Australian audiences will have to see their Westfield Matildas in
action.

Following the retirement of 17-year Westfield Matildas veteran and former captain Cheryl
Salisbury in 2009 the Westfield Matildas have waited on announcing a new captain for over a
year.

A decision was made on Wednesday evening prior to the Westfield Matildas first match in New
Zealand and Westfield Matildas goalkeeper Mellisa Barbieri was announced Captain and
midfielder Collette McCallum as vice-captain.

"It's been a difficult process under the circumstances coming to the choice of
Melissa (Barbieri) and Collette (McCallum), said Sermanni.

"A lot of players were very much in the running for the position as we have an
excellent group of leaders in this team.

"The players are very supportive of the decision and Bubs (Barbieri) will now lead us
into the Asian Cup campaign in May," finished Sermanni.

Melissa Barbieri was humbled by the announcement but looks forward to the challenges ahead,

"It's just the biggest honour to be chosen by your team mates and coach to be
captain. Nothings changed between us; it's the same old Bubs doing what she does just
with a new tag," said Barbieri.

"Following the announcement I was a bit nervous going into my first game as captain but
it's a real honour.

"Cheryl has some really big boots to fill; you can't replace a Cheryl Salisbury,
but I want to be my own captain and go about things the way I always have," continued
Barbieri.

"I'm hoping to carry that through and keep the squad motivated and united going
into the Asian Cup in May."

Football Federation Australia in conjunction with the Qantas Socceroos have introduced a
special offer for the Westfield Matildas match - ticket holders for the Qantas Socceroos v
Indonesia, Asian Cup qualifier on March 3, can use the same ticket to enter the Westfield
Matildas v DPR Korea match on March 6.

The March 6 match will be shown live and exclusive on ABC 1 and ABC HD.

DPR Korea are due to arrive in Australia on March 1.

ENDS

Westfield Matildas v DPR Korea
Wednesday, 3 March 2010
Ballymore Stadium, Brisbane
Local kick-off: 11am
Closed Door Match: Open to Media Only

Please contact Mark Jensen on +61 (0) 405 565 300 or mark.jensen@footballaustralia.com.au
<mailto:mark.jensen@footballaustralia.com.au> for more information.

Westfield Matildas v DPR Korea
Saturday, 6 March 2010
Ballymore Stadium, Brisbane
Local kick-off: 3pm (4pm AEDT)
Broadcast live and exclusive from 3.30pm on ABC 1 and ABC HD

midfielder

While Asia may not set the world on fire with mens teams in football ... it must surely have the hottest womens teams ( best I mean)

kevrenor

Matildas 3 (Sarah Walsh 25', Katie Gill 49' pen*, Kyah Simon 90'+1) - North Korea 2

* This is not a misprint ... Koreans sooked on the sideline for 4 minutes after the penalty was awarded .. De Vanna took it anyway and the dipshit referee didn't award it. Eventually the Koreans came back and Gill took another go!

This is a great result, 14th ranked Australia over 5th ranked DPR Korea, and comes after a 2-2 draw on Wednesday.

Tough game. Will be very good experience for the younger players for the upcoming Asian Cup/WCQ.

Match report: http://back-of-the-net.com/2009-2010/Misc/Misc_NT20.htm

midfielder

This was a nail bitter watched from my motel room... what a goal that last one waqs ... and what about the DKR walking off after the penalty ... poor show ... hope FIFA give em a good penalty..

kevrenor

CHENGDU, CHINA
Monday, 17 May 2010

Westfield Matildas' star striker, Sarah Walsh, has today been cleared by Westfield
Matildas medical staff to play in the AFC Women's Asian Cup 2010.

The AFC Women's Asian Cup 2010 officially began today with the Westfield Matildas set to
test the Chengdu Sports Center pitch this afternoon before their first Group match on
Wednesday against Vietnam.

Walsh, who was under an injury cloud following minor knee surgery last month has exceeded
expectations in her recovery and will be available for the group matches against Vietnam,
South Korea and China.

"I think it's a credit to Walshy for the dedication she has shown and enormous
amount of work she has put in to get herself back to fitness," said Westfield Matildas
Head Coach Tom Sermanni.

"This is not only a boost for the team in terms of Sarah's ability to win matches
but it lifts the playing group as a whole and proves what a class athlete Sarah really
is."

Central Coast Mariners' striker Michelle Heyman, who was brought in as cover for Walsh,
will miss out on Sermanni's 23-player list that is due to be handed in to the AFC today.

"It's disappointing for Michelle (Heyman) to miss out but she has done so well and
improved dramatically in such a short time that she is sure to have a long Westfield
Matildas career in front of her," said Sermanni.

Sarah Walsh, who is the top goal scorer amongst the current Westfield Matildas squad, was
clearly relieved to be given the coach's nod following weeks of intensive work to
recover in time for the tournament.

"It's been a long four weeks and I'm very grateful to our medical team and Tom
(Sermanni) who worked so hard and showed me so much support to get me back in time for the
cup," said Walsh.

"Now my knee is strong it's about concentrating on my fitness and getting out there
to help the girls qualify for the World Cup and win the Asian Cup."

In more good news for the Westfield Matildas ABC TV will now not only show each of
Australia's group matches live and exclusive but also cover the competition until its
conclusion on May 29.

Tuesday 11 May 2010

The Westfield Matildas will today complete their final day of preparation on the Gold Coast before jetting off to China to compete in this month's AFC Women's Asian Cup 2010.

With star striker Sarah Walsh racing the clock to be fit for the cup following minor knee surgery last month, young Central Coast Mariners striker and Westfield W-League 2009 Player of the Year and Golden Boot winner Michelle Heyman will join the squad that takes off for China tonight.

Heyman, who only two years ago was training twice a week and playing in Wollongong, had a stellar Westfield W-League 2009 season where she scored 11 goals to guide her team to second place in the league.

The 21-year-old striker made her Westfield Matildas debut earlier this year when she came on as a substitute in the Westfield Matildas 2-all draw with DPR Korea in Brisbane.

Heyman, who has been training with the squad for the past week, departs tonight for her first ever international tournament.

"Two years ago I never would have thought I could be a Westfield Matilda let alone be going to the (AFC Women's) Asian Cup," said Heyman.

"It really is a dream come true."

Sarah Walsh, aided by the experienced Westfield Matildas medical team, will continue her recovery in China in the hope that she is ready to play in what will be a testing AFC Women's Asian Cup, which doubles as the FIFA Women's World Cup 2011 qualifiers.

A decision on Walsh's fitness will be made on May 17 at which time a final 23-player
squad will  be submitted to the AFC.

ENDS

AFC Women's Asian Cup 2010 Details

AFC Women's Asian Cup 2010
Australia v Vietnam
Wednesday, 19 May 2010
Chengdu Sports Center, China
Local Kick-off: 3.00pm (5.00pm AEST)

Match televised live and exclusive on ABC 1 / ABC HD

Australia v Korea Republic
Friday, 21 May 2010
Local Kick-off: 3.00pm (5.00pm AEST)

Match televised live and exclusive on ABC 1 / ABC HD

Australia v China
Sunday, 23 May 2010
Local Kick-off: 4.00pm (6.00pm AEST)

Match televised live and exclusive on ABC 2

kevrenor

Matildas on their way - Asian Cup this week in China, and hopefully through that qualify for 2011 World Cup in Germany

*  Group B:  Australia - Vietnam : Wed 19 May 2010 - Chengdu Sports Centre 5pm AET
    Group B: China - South Korea : 19 May 2010 - Chengdu Sports Centre 7:30pm AET
*  Group B: South Korea - Australia : Frid 21 May 2010 - Chengdu Sports Centre 5pm AET
    Group B: Vietnam - China: 21 May 2010 - Shuangliu Sports Centre 7:30pm AET
*  Group B: China - Australia : Sun 23 May 2010 - Chengdu Sports Centre 6pm AET
    Group B: Vietnam - South Korea : 23 May 2010 - Chengdu Sports Centre 8pm AET

* ABC TV / HD live telecasts

http://back-of-the-net.com/2009-2010/ACW/acw10.htm

kevrenor

Match report, and even better, some photos, at:

http://back-of-the-net.com/2009-2010/ACW/ACW-AUvsVN.htm

AvsV4.jpg

Photo: Paul Lau

dru

2 nil now.

3 nil now. This should be enough to see us through to the knock out stage  :eek:verhead:

marinermick

dru said:
2 nil now.

3 nil now. This should be enough to see us through to the knock out stage  :eek:verhead:

over the top goal celebration

the opposition defender clears the ball into her, it deflects into the net, and she celebrates like no tomorrow

Tassiemariner

Her first goal for Australia though.

Good to see Korea knows about FIFA fair play regarding polkinghorne's bleeding nose.

Woooo final score 3-1

Sym

why not celebrate your goal all crazy like
never know which will be your last.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members