• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners to blow whistle on ref

Roar_Fan

Mariners to blow whistle on ref
By Ray Gatt
January 30, 2008

CENTRAL Coast officials will make a point of the club's poor record under referee Matthew Breeze when they ask for a "please explain" in the wake of the controversial loss to Newcastle Jets in the first leg of the major semi-final last Sunday.

While the club continued to maintain a cautious stance, it is understood the Mariners will soon send a letter to Football Federation Australia seeking clarification on a number of issues arising from their 2-0 defeat at EnergyAustralia Stadium.

The players and coaching staff remain upset that John Aloisi had what looked to be a legitimate goal disallowed in the first half after assistant referee Jason Power ruled him offside.

The goal would have levelled the match at 1-1.

That decision is unlikely to be the main complaint as the Mariners try to keep their championship hopes alive, but the club is understood to be ready to go in hard in noting startling statistics that show the Mariners have not won a game under Breeze in their past eight matches, five of them this season.

Central Coast has managed just two wins and three draws with seven defeats in the 12 Mariners matches that Breeze has officiated since the A-League kicked off three seasons ago.

Not surprisingly, Central Coast officials, wary of upsetting FFA and earning a charge for bringing the game into disrepute, refuse to be drawn publicly on the matter.

Coach Lawrie McKinna would not comment specifically about Breeze's performance last Sunday, or the match official's record involving the Central Coast.

"We have ways of dealing with these situations," McKinna said.

"And that will be going through the proper channels by forwarding a letter to the FFA.

"We want to discuss a number of issues regarding the refereeing and I'll just leave it at that."

Asked if Breeze's record in Mariners' matches would be brought up, McKinna bluntly replied: "No comment."

Asked if he could put a finger on why his team has such a poor record under him he again replied: "No comment."

McKinna did admit he wanted matters from Sunday's loss cleared up as quickly as possible "so everyone can move on".

Assistant referee Power could also be put under scrutiny for his performance.

Questions are being asked as to why he was appointed to one of the biggest matches of the season with just six regular-season matches under his belt, while more experienced officials were ignored.

Power, who was on the line for the Australia-Paraguay match at Suncorp Stadium in October, 2006, has officiated in 19 A-League matches over three seasons and is a FIFA-sanctioned assistant referee.

Interestingly, Central Coast's record under Australia's No.1-rated referee, Mark Shield, is not much better than under Breeze, with the club recording just four wins in 16 matches.

By contrast, the Mariners have enjoyed their best results under referee Peter Green, winning five games, including all four this season, and drawing once in the past two seasons.

Shield, who is expected to be handed the grand final next month for the third season in succession, is clearly rated Australia's best man in the middle, with Breeze rated No.2.

They are again expected to officiate the return legs of the Sydney-Queensland minor semi-final and Mariners-Jets major semi on Friday and Sunday week.

If the FFA sticks by its usual practice of handing the preliminary final to the No.2 referee, Central Coast are likely to again be confronted by Breeze on February 17.

The minor premiers need to win by three goals to overturn the first leg 2-0 loss to the Jets in the return leg at Bluetongue Stadium on Sunday week in order to advance straight to the grand final.

skilbeck

I don't believe we can go it alone in this complaint against Breeze. We will need at least the combined support of a few other teams in the league, Adelaide and Queensland being the most likely options as both those teams have potentially been denied results by Breeze in recent games. I dont know the statistical record of other clubs with Breeze, but we need to use this as evidence as well as our own record

~Floss~

BTW, original article:

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23129260-2722,00.html

and

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23130275-23215,00.html

T

Hopefully an investigation will be launched.... and something will be done. Originally I thought it was just my bias about the reffs but statistics don't lie... admittedly they can be manipulated but not to that extent. How can the 2 best reffs (supposedly) in the country have consistently questionable results when they reff the Mariners??? Or the other smaller teams for that matter.

skilbeck

The problem wont be solved within the FFA because it is in their interests that the larger teams with the "big stars" and the big population bases win. It would have to be investigated outside FFA at higher levels. I have no doubt that Breeze will be sleeping easy tonight despite this threat from the mariners

kepo

Well done Mariners Management. Finally something can be done about this major problem throughtout the whole a-league season. FFA better do something about.. or at least speak to the refs. Every single one including ass ref.. etc

~Floss~

At the very least an explanation or some sort of statement may be released; some sort of acknowledgement. At the moment the fans and even the media (eg. commentators) can get as firey as they want, but we haven't heard any public explanation from the FFA or even recognition that there is a problem with the standard of refereeing.

Even if you take a neutral viewpoint and say that the problem may be the standard of reffing or it may be the public's perception and attitude towards ref's, there's no denying that it's a problem that can only snowball and impact negatively on the success of the league and/or sport unless either or both of these issues is addressed.

Supposedly there are ref's inspectors at every game, but what is the outcome of this? We haven't heard of anyone getting dropped, nor any plans for training or development programs. Even if some FIFA refereeing experts were to conclude that Breeze is actually a world-class ref, at least that's some sort of reply in recognition of what people are saying about him, the league, the FFA,.....

brett

Ursus said:
Beat up by Ray Gatt. Do not touch. :redcard:

Nah, didn't you know? If someone should dare use 'no comment' as a response, something massive must be cooking. Expect Ben and Ivan to be chaining themselves to the FFA's ivory towers tomorrow morning.

kevrenor

Ursus said:
Yeah well Ray is a journo after all ...

He likes the Coast but is not a Mariners fan as such.

Reads the forums like they all do!  How they stand them I don't know.

Ursus

brett said:
Ursus said:

Nah, didn't you know? If someone should dare use 'no comment' as a response, something massive must be cooking. Expect Ben and Ivan to be chaining themselves to the FFA's ivory towers tomorrow morning.

If they do they will be wrong and more foolish than I thought. Pure and simple. But I am sure they will not.

tyson

nothing will happen.

some how the FFA are happy with the refereeing in the competition so far. another club appealed or something earlier in the season and they were turned down straight away.

this is unfortunate though. its gone a little too far now... i can understand if its a couple of tricky stuff ups, or the odd bad game... but he is consistently making shit calls against us that even we can see from the stadium, being later confirmed by the replay the next day on fox and the highlights etc.

brett

Ursus said:
brett said:
Ursus said:

If they do they will be wrong and [glow=red,2,300]more foolish than I thought[/glow]. Pure and simple. But I am sure they will not.

:piralaugh: :piralaugh: :piralaugh:

Sonic_beats_Mario

Aurello Vidmar and Frank Farina have already been fined for comments made about Matthew Breeze.

So of course they would be happy to support our comments

pjennings

I just hope that if we do this it is done quickly and professionally. Itcan't be something that has the players second guessing the ref during a game.

SNOWMARINER

Referee's and f**wit assistants (powers particulaly) need to be punished by demotion the following week to show players, coaches and supporters that there is accountablity for being a s**t official. It's done in other comps around the world and needs to happen here.

No wonder the FFA has'nt done anything they have gagged teams from making comments on officiating and would be quite happy that Sydney has had by far the better of the conveniently poor decisions. Like Sonic said I think Adilaide and Qld would be two teams happy to support a joint complaint and probibly the only way to force the FFA to drop afficials that have a history of F**king up the impossible.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred