• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad 2022/2023

Ancient Mariner

I would not have minded if he moved on at the end of his contract, but he signed a new one and then 2 weeks later he wanted out. You cannot trust him.
Who is to say that if we took pity on him and signed him on a minimum as a squaddie he would not do the same if someone else then made him a better offer.
Not a man of his word. I would not trust him as far as I could throw him.
Smile at you, sign autographs and stab you in the back.

Man Overboard

I would not have minded if he moved on at the end of his contract, but he signed a new one and then 2 weeks later he wanted out. You cannot trust him.
Who is to say that if we took pity on him and signed him on a minimum as a squaddie he would not do the same if someone else then made him a better offer.
Have you considered that perhaps he received a late offer that was too good to refuse?

turbo

The point is that they both left because they saw better opportunities elsewhere. I've already pointed out that the Winners comment was unfortunate, probably for consumption by supporters of his new club, and probably something he would not do again. Despite his hard work here, we were chronic wooden spooners and his career was going nowhere. I dont hold a grudge where a player moves on to further their career. Its easy to be critical from the terraces and fuelled by a passion for your club, but what drives fans and what drives players arent necessarily the same thing. Booing ex-players demonstrates your displeasure that he isn't as loyal as you are. I doubt that loyalty is as much of a factor as economics for the player. If you want to hate someone over the cause for losses like these guys, then hate Charlesworth. He is the one who underfunded the squad to the extent that talented players had to look elsewhere.
Context is everything. Yes he needs to do what’s best for his future that’s somewhat understandable but he shouldn’t have signed if he wasn’t happy with what we offered. And he really shouldn’t then turn around after he was unwanted and return to us. We aren’t desperate anymore, bugger off

style_cafe

I don’t think there is anyone here that would want him back.
However I think I remember him while he was with us he mentioned he wanted to become a citizen. I think that he would have been he long enough for that to be able to happen now. If that was the case he could be cheapish backup to cover the whole backline.
Maybe not... :popcorn:

Ironbark

I'm of the opinion that Ziggy, even if he could take back the way he left, would not be a worthwhile signing. He was a squad player at Wanderers and we need to replace a Socceroo. With Ruon also gone we, as far as i know, only have Hall and Windust as CBs so we need to recruit a starting quality player and also a good quality experienced backup.
This

Corsair

Spot on. ?

Tim

If he was trying to become an AU citizen and was offered 2 years over one year you can’t blame him for taking the deal to better his chances of gaining citizenship. It may not just be about money. From memory back then we seemed only to sign guys to 1 year deals. Hard to build a long term squad or loyalty that way…

Corsair

qQMqO7.gif

If it's a skilled migration visa he might be in trouble.

Rising Sun

If he was trying to become an AU citizen and was offered 2 years over one year you can’t blame him for taking the deal to better his chances of gaining citizenship. It may not just be about money. From memory back then we seemed only to sign guys to 1 year deals. Hard to build a long term squad or loyalty that way…
That was the reason he gave for asking for a release - and why we generously granted it. But he only signed a 1 year contract with WSW initially so it was all BS. More like a straight forward case of being offered more money and his newly inked Mariners contract was ripped up and off he slithered.

Corsair

That was the reason he gave for asking for a release - and why we generously granted it. But he only signed a 1 year contract with WSW initially so it was all BS. More like a straight forward case of being offered more money and his newly inked Mariners contract was ripped up and off he slithered.
Yeah lied about that as well said it was a 2 year.

Man Overboard

qQMqO7.gif

If it's a skilled migration visa he might be in trouble.
Amazing how one mistake by a defender comes back to haunt him compared with missed opportunities by attackers. Sea Dog was rightly disappointed in his shocking penalty that cost us three points, and who knows how our season would have panned out had he netted those points. Our position on the ladder may have been different, and maybe playing different opposition in the finals and perhaps at home too. Defending is bloody hard. It requires high level communication with the others and confidence that they will perform their task correctly depending on a given scenario. Unlike attackers, there are no comparable stats for preventing a goal which is just as important as scoring one for the team. [Yes, I was a defender :} A mistake by a defender is remembered. One by an attacker rarely is.]

JoyfulPenguin

I think Ziggy Gordon is a passable A-League defender, and not much more than that.

I don't think he is a good enough player to fill a visa spot.

The only circumstance I would be fully understanding of us signing him would be:

The season is about to be underway, our other potential visa signings have fallen through and he is on the A-League minimum wage. Beyond that, I think keeping the Visa spot open till January would be a better idea.

If he truly wants to be a Mariner again he should trial with us with the above circumstance in mind.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred